Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings

Options
  • 13-05-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

last year our landlord informed us, that he intends to sell the house we are renting. He assured us that he doesn’t want us to leave, but to “explore the market”. Well, then the restrictions came up and nothing happened.

Now, he comes up like every week with “An agent with some potential buyers wants to view the house.” We accepted that a few times now. But now he demands that we should leave the property during those viewings, as the buyers might feel uncomfortable.

Is that something we have to accept at all? We have received no notice of termination of the tenancy so far and it simply feels not correct that strangers walk through the house we are paying rent for and we should even leave to accomodate them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No you don’t have to put up with it unless you agreed to it in your lease, he is disturbing your peaceful enjoyment.

On the other hand, you have had a year, even in lockdown, when there have been more than average properties available, to find new accommodation. He is going to sell, so it’s inevitable you are going to be living somewhere else soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RandomGirl78

Thanks for your answer.
    Dav010 wrote: »

On the other hand, you have had a year, even in lockdown, when there have been more than average properties available, to find new accommodation. He is going to sell, so it’s inevitable you are going to be living somewhere else soon enough.

Well, not completely. He put it up in the last quarter in 2020.

Our plans were simply others, as we thought about buying ourselves, but all properties in our price range were in other counties (and are now gone). But that’s a different story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not a great situation to be in - but would you rather have to quit/leave & find somewhere else you like to live if he gives you notice or sit where you are with all its conveniences and bide your time while he tries to sell/view and those occasional inconveniences? .

I’d be asking him for assurances nothing of value would be touched/lifted while he was showing - that would be my major worry.

On the other hand you could just sit on the wall or outside in the car for twenty minutes with a coffee and pretend to be next in line for the viewing - which more than one person have done while I viewed their house! (I recognised them from their photos!!! I suppose they have to go somewhere closeby!)

Maybe you could come to some kind of inconvenience arrangement - final month of the rent not to to be paid or somesuch - or a month not to be paid before that so you can take a staycation or have some inconvenience money in the bank or something? Might sweeten everyone a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

We have received no notice of termination of the tenancy so far and it simply feels not correct that strangers walk through the house we are paying rent for and we should even leave to accomodate them.

Just tell him no, especially as there is even no notice, but even if there was you could say no. You want to enjoy your house in peace, not to be disturbed every few days.

There are still restrictions for house visits - you can use that as an excuse if you prefer.

Not a great situation to be in - but would you rather have to quit/leave & find somewhere else you like to live if he gives you notice

there was no notice given

• Advertisement

meijin wrote: »

Yet, now is probably the best of recent times to look for new accommodation, in a couple of months there will be huge movement in wfh and students looking for rentals. I’d be looking to secure a new place to live as soon as possible as the notice of termination will inevitably arrive soon if viewings are being arranged.

The op has not yet confirmed if her lease mentions anything about viewings during the tenancy. This is a grey area where agreement can be reached between landlord and tenant, if the op agreed to allow viewings when signing the lease, then she may not be in a position to object now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If they refuse then there most likely will be by return post. Which is the lesser of the two inconveniences they’d prefer?

One might have a financial benefit for them and they can take their time to view, give notice and move to a place & in a timeframe that might suit then - the other triggers having to move as they won’t facilitate the LL or sale. I know which one I’d prefer - and which perks I’d be hoping to negotiate - as well as LL reference for my next place.

If they refuse then there most likely will be by return post. Which is the lesser of the two inconveniences they’d prefer?

Ah, sure, typical scaremongering to make tenants do whatever the LL wants, irrespective of their rights. :rolleyes:

If they don't refuse, and a buyer is found, there will be a notice anyway.

And viewings or house visits are still not legal with current restrictions anyway?

Ah, sure, typical scaremongering to make tenants do whatever the LL wants, irrespective of their rights. :rolleyes:

If they don't refuse, and a buyer is found, there will be a notice anyway.

And viewings or house visits are still not legal with current restrictions anyway?

They are legal.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/property-viewings-are-back-here-s-what-it-means-for-buyers-and-sellers-1.4559654%3fmode=amp

Advertisement