Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees removed without my permission.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

_Brian wrote: »
    I don’t agree with removing hedges like this.
    But.

Domestic hedges aren’t covered by the moratorium on hedge cutting during the closed season. It’s very possible no laws have been broken here.

Domestic hedges planted by owners maybe, but existing hedgerows are definitely covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Where did he dump the hedging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Redchick wrote: »
    They've pulled out the wire so you can't see it anymore. That's only a small part of what was the hedge, you can see the pre-existing wall on they're side and that's the end of their site.

Its clear to me from the pics that the pillar is the end of their site and you are right the trees were on your property.
    I expect he had this work done while you were not there as they knew what they was doing.
    If it were me i would let it go as the hedge is gone and it will not be coming back.
    Personally i can see why the person would want to open up and i think the wall will be better than that high hedge as i assume it went to the road, the council likely did give the go ahead as the love it when stuff is removed from roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Redchick

Its clear to me from the pics that the pillar is the end of their site and you are right the trees were on your property.
    I expect he had this work done while you were not there as they knew what they was doing.
    If it were me i would let it go as the hedge is gone and it will not be coming back.
    Personally i can see why the person would want to open up and i think the wall will be better than that high hedge as i assume it went to the road, the council likely did give the go ahead as the love it when stuff is removed from roadside.

No egress from the lane, it's closed off to the right of our house land further down to the left one of the others have closed it off.

Ré the light, it's us who's going to benefit from it, the sun was blocked by the trees for half the day - so that's a positive.

And most of you guys are right - he is ignorant and condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭nagel

look up hedge and ditch rule, would this apply in this situation .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

To me, they are making a claim to the part of the land that the trees were on. They won't be putting their fence back up where it was. I would think of it like them annexing part of your garden.

I suggest you get legal advice.

No egress from the lane, it's closed off to the right of our house land further down to the left one of the others have closed it off.

Ré the light, it's us who's going to benefit from it, the sun was blocked by the trees for half the day - so that's a positive.

And most of you guys are right - he is ignorant and condescending.

Think of the positive side and ignore the eejit.
    You cannot win with guys like this as they only think of themselves.
    If you put the word out he did you a favor by pulling down the hedge
    and built a free boundery wall it will piss him off.
    Your the winner here all day long so ii would leave it as no matter
    what you do the hedge is gone...

Any indication of where they are going to put the wall?
    If they go from the existing pillar I imagine that will resolve the boundary issue.

It obviously won't replace the missing hedge.

That kind of thing would break my heart. I would be in floods of tears! While I might forgive him in a more general human folly sense of things I would not be able to look yer man in the eye ever again. It would be like knowing someone who kicks dogs or beats horses. Just would not have the stomach for it.
    But once I had mourned the trees and accepted it, I would plan how to to make things better. You could use his new wall for clematis or other creepers, put in a mix of native hedgerow in some spots, maybe some pink hawthorn and guelder rose, with some delicate trees as a specimen or two, trees that are beautiful but not too large so you could still benefit from extra light. And the birds will have new homes.

I just stick this in here and i hope its ok.
    I was involved helping out a relative who's land had being neglected by 3 separate people over a 10 year period, i n]mentioned it here some time ago.
    Anyway the land owner terminated the lease. An application has being lodged to plant the piece of land with Native Irish trees and a fruit orchard which will be adjacent to the family home.
    The very people who had no problem with the piece of land being neglected, they are now lodging an objection to this proposal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭MacDanger

But.

Domestic hedges aren’t covered by the moratorium on hedge cutting during the closed season. It’s very possible no laws have been broken here.

Apparently not according to this:

https://greennews.ie/closedseason-hedgerow-cutting2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

a friend of mine had a similar issue with a neighbour at the back of the house
    cut down hedging and trees, tried to annexe part of the garden where the plants had once grown

it ended up in court
    be very careful with this and get the proper advice

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Very sad to read this as well, I understand how you may have got attached to that piece of life so close to yourself. I do not understand however, why they got permission to remove the edge if they are not going to extend the wall or build in that bit.

I may consult with the Gardai and see if anything can be done, but on the meantime I would concentrate on recovering the bit of nature. You're still in time to plant some new plants and for them to start growing during the summer as someone has commented above.

When he builds the wall remove your fence and take in everything up to his wall. Plant whatever you want then, and just never speak to this ignorant neighbor again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I would be absolutely furious over this. The absolute pig-ignorance of it :eek:

If the roots were on your side of the boundary (and I think you said they were), then I'd be planting new hedging there straight away. Or as close as you can get.

And I'd be making a complaint to every body, statutory and not, I could think of about it.

Apart from nature and wildlife concerns, the absolute ignorance to just reef out a mature hedge and leave an unholy mess like that? :mad:

Thank you all so much for all the advice and the words of encouragement. I have phoned the council, local TD's, Guards, Irish Birdwatch, NPWS. Exhausted at this stage but I've done all I can.

I've been told that he had broken the law and the council or NPWS will have to issue the fine/report.

I have a young pyracantha hedge planted already - this was chosen with thought for birds and bees etc so I know that in a few years there will be many more nests😊

In relation the the neighbour...thankfully once his 2mtr wall is built I will never have to see his condescending smirk again!!

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Where did he dump the hedging.

Removed it fully - skip i think.

I just stick this in here and i hope its ok.
    I was involved helping out a relative who's land had being neglected by 3 separate people over a 10 year period, i n]mentioned it here some time ago.
    Anyway the land owner terminated the lease. An application has being lodged to plant the piece of land with Native Irish trees and a fruit orchard which will be adjacent to the family home.
    The very people who had no problem with the piece of land being neglected, they are now lodging an objection to this proposal...

How silly of them.

It sounds like it would be fabulous once done, I hope it's approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Are you sure about that ?

Its a really horrible thing to do to the wildlife irrespective of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Zardoz wrote: »
    Are you sure about that ?

Its a really horrible thing to do to the wildlife irrespective of the law.

I had a similar sickening problem recently only they crossed onto my land to do it - criminal trespass. Call the gaurds and get them involved immediately. Destruction of property and criminal treapass. Also take photos of damage on your side and footprints if any.

I hope seven shades of hell onto the scum that did this to the little birds and you. Is nothing enough for some people. Sickening. Do you know a gaurd or someone who knows one - even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bide your time.
    When the wall it built, take out your fence and plant a nice hedge. He's not going to know his wall to claim his bit of ground back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

MacDanger wrote: »

I am not aware of any prosecution for private gardens. I would say that his is one interpretation. The reality is that hundreds of garden hedges, trees & shrubs are being cut every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're not supposed to be even cutting hedgerows now so I don't think the CoCo could have given any permissions unless traffic sightlines are obstructed and normally in those cases the council's will do it themselves.

I'd say your neighbour is spoofing.

It's disgraceful but I'm not sure this applies to private property??

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They've pulled out the wire so you can't see it anymore. That's only a small part of what was the hedge, you can see the pre-existing wall on they're side and that's the end of their site.

Just make sure the wall goes along the pervious boundary.

Small update...

NPWS had a look, can't procesute under the wildlife act as even though it's native trees/hedges it is considered to be a cultivated hedge. The ranger said that even though he's enraged and sickened over it nothing can be done by them.

Had a TD look at my land folio and it seems that our property actually encompassed the full area of vegetation so I've been advised to report it as criminal damage and trespass. Also been onto solicitor.

All of this could have been avoided by him not being an ignorant so n so��

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Small update...

NPWS had a look, can't procesute under the wildlife act as even though it's native trees/hedges it is considered to be a cultivated hedge. The ranger said that even though he's enraged and sickened over it nothing can be done by them.

Had a TD look at my land folio and it seems that our property actually encompassed the full area of vegetation so I've been advised to report it as criminal damage and trespass. Also been onto solicitor.

All of this could have been avoided by him not being an ignorant so n so��

Maybe you could sue for the like replacement cost? Mature trees aren't cheap.

I had a similar sickening problem recently only they crossed onto my land to do it - criminal trespass. Call the gaurds and get them involved immediately. Destruction of property and criminal treapass. Also take photos of damage on your side and footprints if any.

I hope seven shades of hell onto the scum that did this to the little birds and you. Is nothing enough for some people. Sickening. Do you know a gaurd or someone who knows one - even better.

No we don't know anyone.... On the other hand, he's quite well connected in the locality. Just hope my allegation of criminal damage doesn't come back on me. Feel sick with worry now that he's gonna somehow turn this back on me in some manner.

Discodog wrote: »
    Maybe you could sue for the like replacement cost? Mature trees aren't cheap.

Yes that's what I'm thinking,

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

But.

Is this definitely true?

I've seen it repeated widely, but looking it up ( eg greennews(dot)ie/closedseason-hedgerow-cutting2020/ ) seems to say otherwise.

• Advertisement

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    Is this definitely true?

I've seen it repeated widely, but looking it up ( eg greennews(dot)ie/closedseason-hedgerow-cutting2020/ ) seems to say otherwise.

According to the ranger for national parks and wildlife it is. He said i'ss a cultivated hedge... I was surprised to be honest but there you go!

Advertisement