Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ransomware & HSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

There are malicious actions performed very single minute of every single day.

NWO. Lol.

Conspiracy........conspiracy everywhere........LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

ongarite wrote: »
    Interesting, could be something that will put the brakes on WFH model and bring employees back to "secure" office network.
    I can only imagine the amount of people using default router, WiFi passwords or simple to remember/share with household at home.
    Homes are likely to have insecure personal laptops or IOT devices that could expose sensitive data to hackers.

Enterprise networks connect WFH employees using VPN. It doesn’t matter what your home network exploits are. As long as the VPN connection is monitored and secure and the device you connect with is properly administered and controlled then your home network is not an issue. I would be surprised if this hack is deep in sensitive parts of the network and it may simply precautionary steps by network admin to prevent further damage by cutting the connections late at night when they saw it…..hopefully.

Still waiting to hear what all the ‘expert’ laughing boys came up with as a solution, or is the lack of response because the measly 2nd Line guy was correct?

Was it you on the call we were shacking our heads at :D

Was it you on the call we were shacking our heads at :D

That’s your comeback after all this time?! I feel let down even more now, but to be honest I’ve never had anyone SHACK anything at me luckily!

Notice you haven’t actually answered the question on what you IT superstars came up with though! Says a lot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why would Russian hackers have any interest in the IT system of the Irish public healthcare system anyway?

• Advertisement

That’s your comeback after all this time?! I feel let down even more now.

Notice you haven’t actually answered the question on what you IT superstars came up with though! Says a lot!!

Some of us have better things to do but yeah more fool me for wading though the last 3 or 4 pages of nonsense you've posed. Anyone working in the industry knows you for what you are :D

Some of us have better things to do but yeah more fool me for wading though the last 3 or 4 pages of nonsense you've posed. Anyone working in the industry knows you for what you are :D

So still no answer, thought so! Tis yourself showing who you are!

Probably an SD call logger. LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yeah, that’s why I say you have test, especially a bank who should have multicluster nodes or active/passive where you can patch one, test of all good rollout or if all bad rollback.

I wish Microsoft servers were that predictable. Come back Novell all is forgiven.

So still no answer, thought so! Tis yourself showing who you are!

Probably an SD call logger. LOL!

20 years in the industry, know a spoofer when I see one at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I suppose anyone hoping to have serious, informed discussion on this topic ought to have known that would not be possible given that the thread was created in 'Current Affairs' rather than in a technology forum.

Like, after all it is clearly located in the 'Social & Fun', comic-book area of Boards, where one ought not expect to find too much enlightenment alongside the anaemic sit-down comedy...

I need to remind myself of this fact every so often when I see particularly un-informed diatribes masquerading as 'expertise'- based commentary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Flinty997 wrote: »
    I wish Microsoft servers were that predictable. Come back Novell all is forgiven.

Nah, when we had VT100 terminals, we never had problems like these ransomware wars. Novell started the rot, IMHO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why would Russian hackers have any interest in the IT system of the Irish public healthcare system anyway?

They probably didn't. It just phoned home when someone ran the malware after maybe collection of an email address by a spambot or someone sold an email database(a reason not to use your work email for personal use) or they got if from another hack.

Or it could be an have been a targeted attack..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

irishgeo wrote: »
    The ransom note is rather business focused, they seem to think it's a private medical business.

The message seems very amateurish and lacking in knowledge about the organisation that they hacked. Sounds rather generic and like a bunch of spoofers who don’t know what system they’re in.

irishgeo wrote: »
    They probably didn't. It just phoned home when someone ran the malware after maybe collection of an email address by a spambot or someone sold an email database(a reason not to use your work email for personal use) or they got if from another hack.

Or it could be an have been a targeted attack..

This article suggests some group deliberately target hospitals as they are the mostly likely to pay.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/14/ireland_hse_ransomware_hospital_conti_wizardspider/

20 years in the industry, know a spoofer when I see one at this stage.

Ok well I’ve been in it for 21 years and seeing as all you’ve done is come into the thread, tell us how you laughed at a colleague for suggesting something and have failed on multiple occasions to grace us with ANY information on what you’d suggest to do, I’d say you’re the spoofer!

You seem to be good at having a pop at someone else by your own account but have zero ability to actually say anything of worth on the topic at hand.

Good luck.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I suppose anyone hoping to have serious, informed discussion on this topic ought to have known that would not be possible given that the thread was created in 'Current Affairs' rather than in a technology forum.

Like, after all it is clearly located in the 'Social & Fun', comic-book area of Boards, where one ought not expect to find too much enlightenment alongside the anaemic sit-down comedy...

I need to remind myself of this fact every so often when I see particularly un-informed diatribes masquerading as 'expertise'- based commentary..

So because we didn’t agree on paying the ransom, instead of having a ‘serious informed discussion’ with me about it, you hop on someone else’s response (who not only hasn’t had a serious informed discussion about it but actively runs away from any discussion about it) to have a pop.

WOW! Hypocrisy of the highest order!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Damien360 wrote: »
    Enterprise networks connect WFH employees using VPN. It doesn’t matter what your home network exploits are. As long as the VPN connection is monitored and secure and the device you connect with is properly administered and controlled then your home network is not an issue.
    if you use cisco, there have been multiple issues found with anyconnect.
    e.g. the most recent
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/csa/cisco-sa-anyconnect-code-exec-jR3tWTA6.html

i do know where i work that updating the client is a bit more fraught in the last yearm because if it goes wrong, it's not so easy to ask a user to call into the office to have it fixed.

A good time for everyone to check their own backups and restore one to see if it's ok. Assume you have backups. At least some of which are offline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ok well I’ve been in it for 21 years
    funny thing - i've been (genuinely) in it for 22 years so at this point, as we're playing pass the parcel, i'll wait for the next person who has been in it 23 years.

Ok well I’ve been in it for 21 years and seeing as all you’ve done is come into the thread, tell us how you laughed at a colleague for suggesting something and have failed on multiple occasions to grace us with ANY information on what you’d suggest to do, I’d say you’re the spoofer!

You seem to be good at having a pop at someone else by your own account but have zero ability to actually say anything of worth on the topic at hand.

Good luck.

1 or 2 posts vs the 10's you've had today expelling your expert knowledge . HSE should be good by morning if they listen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Russian hackers are interested in any company or entity that
    has alot of data has alot of pcs connected to the Web
    And can afford to pay a large ransom they can encrypt customer
    data and demand payment from the hse for a code to unencrypt
    the data
    Right now the hse has most pcs turned off they can't acess data
    Like xrays, personal medical records
    Hackers have attacked private company's and local government
    departments in America
    , zero day means malware or hacks unknown to Microsoft
    or other security professionals
    There's probably irish company's effected by the exchange
    Email hack but we did not hear about it in the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭omerin

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    Called it!
    This sentiment is nonsense. These major incidents are never the fault of one individual. If it was possible for one person to cause this much damage - it would be the fault of a hell of a lot of people.

It's the RACI model, someone is Accountable, be it Paul Reid or not sure if the HSE have one, the CTO

Hope they will eventually find whoever is behind this

funny thing - i've been (genuinely) in it for 22 years so at this point, as we're playing pass the parcel, i'll wait for the next person who has been in it 23 years.

To be fair just thought again and it’s 22 for me too as of March.

Yer man will probably come back and say 24 anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

ongarite wrote: »
    Interesting, could be something that will put the brakes on WFH model and bring employees back to "secure" office network.
    I can only imagine the amount of people using default router, WiFi passwords or simple to remember/share with household at home.
    Homes are likely to have insecure personal laptops or IOT devices that could expose sensitive data to hackers.
    One of the solutions mentioned in the podcast was using a dedicated secure VPN and making sure data was not stored locally.

1 or 2 posts vs the 10's you've had today expelling your expert knowledge . HSE should be good by morning if they listen to you.

Where are these 10’s! You’re just making it up now! LOL!

And STILL not a single post from yourself of any worth! Because you’ve got absolutely nothing to say! Where’s your genius plan to restore from a ransomware attack? Come on we’re all waiting! Give us a clue with your 20 years of experience, superstar IT guru who belittles other members of their own team!

What’s that noise? I think someone’s ringing the SD cos they’ve forgotten their password, best let you go and answer it! LOL!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Burgo wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but looks like a ransom amount has been released; $20 million

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ireland-s-health-services-hit-with-20-million-ransomware-demand/

1% of the HSE budget, sure it would hardly be missed

1% of the HSE budget, sure it would hardly be missed

That could pay the salary of two whole HSE consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

skimpydoo wrote: »
    One of the solutions mentioned in the podcast was using a dedicated secure VPN and making sure data was not stored locally.
    They already use secure proxy servers. But if the virus is unknown to the virus protection it will get through in sys attack or on an unsuspecting email attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

That could pay the salary of two whole HSE consultants.
    Payment does not make the sys secure. One might get a password to recover encrypted data but flushing the suspected virus out can be a tedious affair.

• Advertisement

To be fair just thought again and it’s 22 for me too as of March.

Yer man will probably come back and say 24 anyway :)

I would say though length of time isn't a good measure. Tech is vastly more specialized and complex now.
    You're really only judged on your recent experience and skill set. I doubt anyone cares what you did more than 3~5yrs ago.

Advertisement