Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ransomware & HSE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Reports from the webs that the 'good' hackers have warned the bad hackers to leave off the medical sector or they will come after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

degsie wrote: »
    Reports from the webs that the 'good' hackers have warned the bad hackers to leave off the medical sector or they will come after them.

Whatever happened to those "Anonymous" dudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is the crisis over, there will be no more malicious activities?

Do the HSE now have to regain all the data from somewhere?
    Or does the 'key' mean they have to unscramble it?

When this is done, will it mean they have all the original data back, nothing lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

degsie wrote: »

The only people who can go after these people is the senior GRU officer in the corner office. Which is likely what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I'd honestly use the $20m they wanted in ransom to hire some people to dispose of these hackers

Daniel Kinahan perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was there any confirmation of where these hackers were based?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NIMAN wrote: »

Do the HSE now have to regain all the data from somewhere?
    Or does the 'key' mean they have to unscramble it?

When this is done, will it mean they have all the original data back, nothing lost?

Well if you are happy with the Russians having more details about your medical history than you do yourself, then the crisis my be on the way to 'over'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Was there any confirmation of where these hackers were based?

Widely reported that it was the Wizard Spider group, who are believed to be based in St. Petersburg and the Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

plodder wrote: »
    I mean a key that is used as input to a key derivation function like this one.

Anything generated by this algorithm can be considered to be unique if you don't have the master key.
    With respect, I think you need to do a little more research on what 'salting' a key means. There's no such thing as a 'master' over-riding key.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As an outsider but someone who has dealt with a few of these incidents in a professional capacity. Based on the very limited info that's publicly available, it looks to me like their backup system and/or backup policy may have been their weak point.

If the backups were solid, then it's a few days of downtime while systems are wiped and restored.

Exactly, I’d say the blood pressure was high realising it would be a bare bones restore that has probably never been tested , I’ve been in situations where bosses wouldn’t allow such drills as if hey interfere with business:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Not exactly. The hackers say they will be releasing the HSE data online on Monday.

Them releasing the decryption key so that HSE can get their systems up and running again hasn't changed that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

kippy wrote: »
    The HSE, like every organisation, and sometimes moreso that private, are constrained by a large number of factors when hiring someone.
    It's a pity that had to be pointed out, but we are where we are.

Mary from HR won't get a job in security - all that being said.

Are you based in the real world by the way? Or have you every worked in any type of an organisation? (I need to establish some context to your viewpoints here)

Well I work on four of the worlds largest networks, for the outsourcer in a very senior position :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Well I work on four of the worlds largest networks, for the outsourcer in a very senior position :eek:

You seem to be hell bent on arguing with people in here, really peculiar behavior.

The person you attributed that quote to didn't even say that, its was Cuddlesworth.
    I work on four of the worlds largest networks, for the outsourcer in a very senior position. I would advise otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Anyone with half a brain will know the HSE and FFG paid a ransom and are lying through their teeth, as if hackers are just going to give back an encryption key just like that, they must think they public are stupid :rolleyes::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Keyzer wrote: »
    You seem to be hell bent on arguing with people in here, really peculiar behavior.

The person you attributed that quote to didn't even say that, its was Cuddlesworth.

Sorry I was joking. I am not arguing with anyone, I gave my view that I think we should get answers and people should be fired.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anyone with half a brain will know the HSE and FFG paid a ransom and are lying through their teeth, as if hackers are just going to give back an encryption key just like that, they must think they public are stupid :rolleyes::pac:
    Statistically the hackers don't release the data after you pay them so how does that fit with your conspiracy theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I have half a brain and I doubt they paid up.

Statistically the hackers don't release the data after you pay them so how does that fit with your conspiracy theory?

ah here we go another looper who calls peoplle conspiracy theorists when someones view doesnt suit their own narrative :rolleyes: so let me get this straight yeah, the hackers have given back an encryption key and latest reports suggest this is credible, so a ransom must have been paid in order to get this, if you think there wasnt there really is no hope at all for you,hackers dont give things back as a good gesture.

The hackers are probably holding out for more money so have threatened to upload files online.

Conspirary theorist indeed, jesus wept :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flask_fan

That sounds about right.

If this guff about XP vulnerabilities is correct then the 700GB could be 3000 images.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I have half a brain and I doubt they paid up.

you must be deluded beyond belief, anyone who thinks no ransom was paid is beyond help, do you seriously think hackers went to all that trouble and then just gave back an encryption key, jesus christ :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

flask_fan wrote: »
    That sounds about right.

If this guff about XP vulnerabilities is correct then the 700GB could be 3000 images.

i guess we'll never know, but i for one wouldnt want my private medical records spalttered all over the web for all to see, not that the HSE really give two fcuks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

tech websites, eg the verge.com report it is a hacker group based in russia.
    Many companys employ outside experts,
    look at our system, does it need upgrading, is it in line with modern security standards,does it have any known vunerabiltys,
    do we have a modern backup system that backs up user data ,
    so we can recover if hackers attack the network and encrypt our data .
    the colonial pipeline paid the ransom,they got a decryption key,
    it was very slow, they just ended up restoring the system from backups ,
    it was easier faster than using the key
    it seems we will end up like the usa ,
    there have been major hacks every month,
    At this point most of the population in america who have credit cards or use social media have their personal data leaked online.
    eg name adress,social security no .

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3444488/equifax-data-breach-faq-what-happened-who-was-affected-what-was-the-impact.html
    hundreds of millions of user accounts leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flask_fan

i guess we'll never know, but i for one wouldnt want my private medical records spalttered all over the web for all to see, not that the HSE really give two fcuks.
    Yeah and they shouldn't. People need to man up and shut up instead of thinking about their 'compo'.

This country has become weak.

Seriously the lawyers who advertised anyone who sues and all of their families should be executed. That's what Genghis Khan would have done and he was a force to be reckoned with.

We will never emulate Genghis Khan's achievemients without his methods

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Sorry I was joking. I am not arguing with anyone, I gave my view that I think we should get answers and people should be fired.

How many people?
    As you provided the backup yourself, people tend not to get fired for this type of thing, no matter the sector and even less likely in the public sector.

No Ransom has been paid.
    Anyone with a quarter of a brain will know that.

flask_fan wrote: »
    Yeah and they shouldn't. People need to man up and shut up instead of thinking about their 'compo'.

This country has become weak.

Seriously the lawyers who advertised anyone who sues and all of their families should be executed. That's what Genghis Khan would have done and he was a force to be reckoned with.

We will never emulate Genghis Khan's achievemients without his methods

jaysus executed is a bit much mate:eek:

im not aware of that other thread so cant comment,but i agree this country has become weak.

kippy wrote: »
    No Ransom has been paid.
    Anyone with a quarter of a brain will know that.

stop ffs, your embarrassing yourself, jesus wept :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

You've such a simplistic view of the whole situation.

The state has hasn't paid a ransom. To do so would have been pointless.

International and perhaps national pressure has been placed on the group behind this - that much is obvious to me.
    CyberTerrorism against a state is a serious issue - more than just Ireland will be involved in what is going on in the background here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Hurrache wrote: »
    He just regurgitates PR fed to him from the various tech companies, particularly Apple. It's always been how he operates, the worse of the so called tech experts that are rolled out to talk ****e.

When I did a podcast on this last Monday, I made sure to avoid having the guest who will be everywhere on the media repeating the same stories. I did not want my podcast to offer nothing new.

Advertisement