Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ransomware & HSE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Cordell

I fully expect russian trolls to go out for damage control. They will suggest it wasn't the russians, or it was but the americans did worse. They will seek to discredit any source of information, especially the official ones, and the experts. They will derail any discussion until people become sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ineedeuro wrote: »
    NY times also questions the HSE version of events. I’m sure other non Irish media are probably doing the same.

I think you will also find other people on this thread have questioned the HSE version of events as well.

There's no issue with questioning.

The issue is with abusing people by calling them liars when, as you've confirmed, you don't actually know.

The data is out there, there's going to be increasing fallout. IMO, going forward, a major spend on public education needs to be put place to address citizens' default gullibility regarding the resulting inevitable fallout of phishing scams. The level of basic literacy in our country can be patchy especially in the lower socio-economic domain, but as things stand tech literacy is patchy across all groups of people. One only has to work in the public services, or listen to Liveline to be aware of the level of knowledge gaps out there. Personally, I have been quite surprised at times by otherwise intelligent and educated individuals I know who could well benefit from an ongoing public education campaign.

There'll always be "idiots", people who can't be rescued from their own gullibility, but a hell of a lot of folk would fully take on board the pointers needed to help protect themselves, and reduce the overall harm done from this and other such cyber attacks when personal data is shared with online rogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ok ireland we will give you a program to decrypt your files all you need to do is land a certain Ryanair flight in belarus

Ok ireland we will give you a program to decrypt your files all you need to do is land a certain Ryanair flight in belarus

The timing is a bit interesting. One thing that could cause massive and dangerous chaos would be hacking into aviation systems, I'm sure it's been crossing some minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The timing is a bit interesting. One thing that could cause massive and dangerous chaos would be hacking into aviation systems, I'm sure it's been crossing some minds.
    I've actually had conversations with people working in InfoSec both the DAA and in Aer Lingus. They were both acutely aware of the risks should they be breached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prev.

Blowfish wrote: »
    I've actually had conversations with people working in InfoSec both the DAA and in Aer Lingus. They were both acutely aware of the risks should they be breached.

Wouldn't anyone be aware

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Blowfish wrote: »
    So first things first, we should make sure that our outer marker beeper is still operational?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Prev. wrote: »
    Wouldn't anyone be aware
    I probably should have expanded on that. They were acutely aware that a breach for them had the potential to be counted using number of lives lost rather than financial loss, which is what most InfoSec people have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Haven't been following this thread is it just patient data they have? Hardy have the emails?

• Advertisement

The HSE attack will result in loss of life, has anyone any doubt about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

Haven't been following this thread is it just patient data they have? Hardy have the emails?
    We have to assume they have everything, including emails. I was wondering the other day about the contact from foreign medical practices using the stolen data, which was highlighted by Alan Kelly in the Dail. I'm still sceptical that was actually from a medical practice. It could have been from the hackers though, pretending to be some medical outfit. It all happened a bit too quickly I think to be "genuine" imo. The end result is the same though from the point of view of the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Cordell wrote: »
    The HSE attack will result in loss of life, has anyone any doubt about it?

Potentially yes, hopefully not. A lot will depend on what happens this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

plodder wrote: »
    We have to assume they have everything, including emails. I was wondering the other day about the contact from foreign medical practices using the stolen data, which was highlighted by Alan Kelly in the Dail. I'm still sceptical that was actually from a medical practice. It could have been from the hackers though, pretending to be some medical outfit. It all happened a bit too quickly I think to be "genuine" imo. The end result is the same though from the point of view of the patient.

I dont believe that story at all. Its just total bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Said it before but now heard from others who have also suddenly started receving a ton of robo calls since the middle of last week, its very coincidental if its not linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The type of mind that live in the Conspiracy Theory forum.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Potentially yes, hopefully not. A lot will depend on what happens this week.

It will be very difficult to prove either way, but there will be consequences in delaying non-urgent care like cancer screenings and miss diagnosis due to lack of access to medical history and reduced A&E capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VinLieger wrote: »
    Said it before but now heard from others who have also suddenly started receving a ton of robo calls since the middle of last week, its very coincidental if its not linked.

If they're not linked it's not coincidental either, it's opportunism. It's the perfect scenario for any scammers as it allows them it prey on the minds of people given that the county is aware of the HSE hack and they ride on the back of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Cordell wrote: »
    It will be very difficult to prove either way, but there will be consequences in delaying non-urgent care like cancer screenings and miss diagnosis due to lack of access to medical history and reduced A&E capacity.

Oh absolutely, but lets hope that they can prioritise on the people who need care the most. Still a lot riding on what direction things take this week.

There word going that they have been contacting some patients by phone, eg offering people with specified problems treatment, but that this would require a little disclosure of bank details before proceeding. You will get the odd person desperate to expedite their treatment on board in the hope they may be about to get that much needed joint replacement etc, especially if they are the types who turn a deaf ear to the news.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »

The thing is actual criminals do conspire in some cases, but I don't think in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

I dont believe that story at all. Its just total bollocks
    I agree it sounds partly suspect. It's possible that the person was getting google ads resulting from searches he had done on his condition. That can be a bit alarming when you see it the first time. But Kelly would have to be some eejit if he didn't read the email and satisfy himself that the information had to have come from the stolen data before standing up in the Dáil and mentioning it. It would make a lot of sense for the hackers to fake something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Checked the hacker darknet site just there. Stolen data published this morning from a UK high school and an Indian electronics company. No HSE data posted as of now.

Obviously won't be going anywhere near it if something is posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good chance this has more to do with the recent Facebook leak than the HSE hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Facebook (became more freely available)
    Fastway
    both had data leaks in the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hurrache wrote: »

Lets hope those responsible for the security of aviation systems aren't as blasé as you. The Chinese shut down a major portion of India's electricity grid, probably resulting in some deaths, though that would be hard to quantify.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

irishgeo wrote: »
    Facebook (became more freely available)
    Fastway
    both had data leaks in the past while.

Fastway has had a massive data breach alright - have heard very little about it since from Fastway themselves - just the tunisian callers that call me daily for the past few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Exactly, I’d say the blood pressure was high realising it would be a bare bones restore that has probably never been tested , I’ve been in situations where bosses wouldn’t allow such drills as if hey interfere with business:)

Or approve the budget for a duplicate test system which could be used to test such a bare metal restore without impacting production systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

kippy wrote: »
    Fastway has had a massive data breach alright - have heard very little about it since from Fastway themselves - just the tunisian callers that call me daily for the past few weeks now.

The reason you haven't heard anything about Fastway one is that's is not the data breach they claim. They just left a database wide open to the internet.

You would be keeping pretty quiet too about it.

A security researcher found it and told them about it. A week or 2 later they got back to him and said it was deleted.

Then announced they were "hacked".

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevelEire/comments/m7rtm4/about_data_leaks_from_fastway_couriers/

The GDPR fine when announced will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I get one on regular basis from the linkedin hack a few years back.

Advertisement