Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ransomware & HSE

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I received a very obvious automated scam call not to long ago (~20 minutes) saying their was a warrent out for my arrest. Wonder if it's related.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I received a very obvious automated scam call not to long ago (~20 minutes) saying their was a warrent out for my arrest. Wonder if it's related.
    Maybe it was a genuine call :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Two calls today from different 083 mobile numbers with automated message claiming legal action unless I provide details... very skeptical it’s anything else but from HSE leak.

Edit: make that 3 calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wonder (for the non automated calls) is the right tactic to string these people along, keep them on the line for as long as possible. Every minute they're talking to you is a minute they are not talking to someone more vulnerable.

Or is that putting a flag by your name as someone that would engage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I got that one last week, from Department of Social Protection or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hah my boss got that one, it said he had an IRS arrest warrant out for him, seems like they aren't even bothered trying to localise and are just reusing their US scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

igCorcaigh wrote: »

That started last week, I know 1 person that got that type of call, and a bunch of others, including myself, of the other automated type, plus 1 with the arrest warrant.

The 083 automated "Dept of Social Protection" calls predate the ransomware attack. They're just randomly generated calls. This particular scam is not new in the slightest, it has just been tweaked for the Irish public. If you do press 1 to be put through to them (which I did because winding up scammers is a hobby of mine) they don't have any of your information. They rely on you being convinced to just give it to them. Don't give them anything genuine.

Amirani wrote: »
    I got that one last week, from Department of Social Protection or something?

Yep, Thats the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’ve been getting those calls for a couple of week. someone told me that’s linked to the Facebook hack? They definitely started before the hse hack

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Two calls today from different 083 mobile numbers with automated message claiming legal action unless I provide details... very skeptical it’s anything else but from HSE leak.

Edit: make that 3 calls...

Block the numbers on your phone, had this trouble for few weeks blocking them sorted it out. Was getting them from land lines as well. Same spoof though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Got the same thing at about half 2! I'm wanted for money laundering and drug trafficking apparently, I've been a right cheeky pup.

Got the same thing at about half 2! I'm wanted for money laundering and drug trafficking apparently, I've been a right cheeky pup.

They don't expect you to admit to it! That's what I did when I spoke to them last week.
    "Your PPSN is being used for bad things in Dublin city."
    "What bad things?"
    "Money laundering and drug trafficking."
    "Oh yeah, I know that. That was me."

He hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’ve been getting those calls for a couple of week. someone told me that’s linked to the Facebook hack? They definitely started before the hse hack

It's not as in the cases I know of two don't have Facebook accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

They don't expect you to admit to it! That's what I did when I spoke to them last week.
    "Your PPSN is being used for bad things in Dublin city."
    "What bad things?"
    "Money laundering and drug trafficking."
    "Oh yeah, I know that. That was me."

He hung up.

I got one of these calls on Saturday and wanted to play along but I was too happy sounding when I responded and they hung up on me with no interaction.
    I was too eager, I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I would have expected another update from the NCSC at this stage. Last one was on the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

9pm in St Petersburg now. Stolen data from four organisations posted on their site today, including TU Berlin, but no HSE data posted so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

rumour is all the apostrophes in our Irish names made them drop table and they lost the data

bobby sands O'Tables
    exploits_of_a_mom.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

radiospan wrote: »
    9pm in St Petersburg now. Stolen data from four organisations posted on their site today, including TU Berlin, but no HSE data posted so far.

I imagine they are selling it the highest bidder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

The HSE is unlikely to hold very much financial information like credit cards or bank account details. Almost all of the finances they're dealing with are either state payments or insurance payments, so it's not like a hack on some big online retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The HSE is unlikely to hold very much financial information like credit cards or bank account details. Almost all of the finances they're dealing with are either state payments or insurance payments, so it's not like a hack on some big online retailer.

Except for the staff payroll - probably the biggest payroll in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

With employee names, address and PPS number, DOB , Phone numbers.

Identity Theft goldmine.

Assuming the payroll was anywhere near the hack. They’re usually run on fairly specific systems or even outsourced in many organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Assuming the payroll was anywhere near the hack. They’re usually run on fairly specific systems or even outsourced in many organisations.
    IIRC the HSE has a separate payeoll system, PPARS. Remember it cost €€€€€ to implement.
    (Edit) It was abandoned, yet another massive waste of taxpayer money. Professor Brendan Drumm called a halt to its national rollout in 2005 as costs ballooned from an initial estimate of €9m. It has cost well in excess of €220m to date and is able to do just a fraction of the work intended.

Integrating systems of 57 organisations with 67,000+ staff and umpteen other financial process isn’t cheap.

I suspect part of the problem here is we’ve been doing IT on the cheap and expressing political outrage when it costs money to implement.

If you look at the cost of seriously big IT systems, even in a relatively small bank like Bank of Ireland, you’re looking at €1bn +

€9m for a project of that scale seemed ludicrously small for what they were trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

deandean wrote: »
    IIRC the HSE has a separate payeoll system, PPARS. Remember it cost €€€€€ to implement.
    (Edit) It was abandoned, yet another massive waste of taxpayer money. Professor Brendan Drumm called a halt to its national rollout in 2005 as costs ballooned from an initial estimate of €9m. It has cost well in excess of €220m to date and is able to do just a fraction of the work intended.

As you noted yourself, that was 15 years ago. They've been on SAP payroll for a few years now.

We can't seem to scope and cost projects properly in this country that's for sure. I wouldn't mind if projects are doubling in cost but when you see projects 5x/10x/20x the initial estimated it makes you wonder.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

€9m for a project of that scale seemed ludicrously small for what they were trying to do.
    I believe, according to an IT expert here, one person could do it all in six months - upgrade it all and push into the cloud :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

ixoy wrote: »
    I believe, according to an IT expert here, one person could do it all in six months - upgrade it all and push into the cloud :D

Six months? No way!? unpossible.
    Give it a week and I'm sure a youtube ad will come out about how to secure your network. state saves loads of dosh.

Advertisement