Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper battery fencer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Shockrite electric fence energised..
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CDH0KVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4PRH966Q9PQRE5VJGF89

Any one every use one of these? Any good?
    Need a 2nd battery fences for a small area. Have a cheeta already sick is excellent but €200..

Watch out for import fees now post Brexit or you will be close to the €200 anyway. I’ve seen posts by peoooe talking of 50% charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have the SRB60, bought it about 3 years ago. I bought it as a backup in case my other battery fence broke. No complaints with it. Just check the output Joules so it matches your length of run.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Watch out for import fees now post Brexit or you will be close to the €200 anyway. I’ve seen posts by peoooe talking of 50% charges.

Amazon include these charges in the price at checkout so no surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

emaherx wrote: »

Haven’t bought recently, I’d heard of charges not appearing until courier was at the door, so that’s not the case anymore ??

Definitely see a much smaller pool of suppliers shipping to Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CDH0KVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4PRH966Q9PQRE5VJGF89

Need a 2nd battery fences for a small area. Have a cheeta already sick is excellent but €200..

Why not buy direct and pay in euro? Bought one from them last yearish and it's still going ok, just check to ensure battery is charged regularly.

https://www.shockrite.co.uk/product-category/electric-fence-energisers/battery-powered-energisers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Bumpkins

They're based in NI so you don't need to worry about customs charges etc (as they use DPD.ie)

Delivery is normally pretty quick too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Haven’t bought recently, I’d heard of charges not appearing until courier was at the door, so that’s not the case anymore ??

Definitely see a much smaller pool of suppliers shipping to Ireland at the moment.

Courier at the door sounds dodgy requesting customs charges. The courier wouldn't have loaded it on a van until customs was paid. Any chance it was a scam or was there a misunderstanding.

I received an email from a few months ago either from screwfix or currys stating not to pay customs charges if the courier requested it that they were sorting it but there may be confusion and to let them know.

Amazon in fairness were one of the few companies with systems in place from the beginning. I'd have no concern buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

MfMan wrote: »
    Why not buy direct and pay in euro? Bought one from them last yearish and it's still going ok, just check to ensure battery is charged regularly.

https://www.shockrite.co.uk/product-category/electric-fence-energisers/battery-powered-energisers/

€90 direct (free P&P) V £66 Amazon (free P&P)

Seller in both cases is McGrath Supplies Ltd.

I'd phone them up and ask for a discount because they have to pay Amazon 15%.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

emaherx wrote: »

Ya it cost 72€ actually arrived today. Came from the north

MfMan wrote: »

I didn't know of them. Think it's working out similar price. Could have gotten the bundle with wire to make it cheaper bundle then.

• Advertisement

€90 direct (free P&P) V £66 Amazon (free P&P)

Seller in both cases is McGrath Supplies Ltd.

I'd phone them up and ask for a discount because they have to pay Amazon 15%.

I was trying to get it asap. Didn't do much research, just prices the cheapest one on the local store, think they had pel at €200, so said I'd chance this.

Good point 're contacting them directly. Spotted that before with delick implements, fair saving buying direct rather that the add form their retailer on done deal.

A tip to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

I was trying to get it asap. Didn't do much research, just prices the cheapest one on the local store, think they had pel at €200, so said I'd chance this.

Good point 're contacting them directly. Spotted that before with delick implements, fair saving buying direct rather that the add form their retailer on done deal.

A tip to remember
    I have this fencer to keep in a couple of donkeys on a few acre's,have it running off deep cycle leisure battery,great poke off it and donkeys have never broken out.In saying that the donkeys really don't like the white tape so I probably don't even need my power to it and they'd still stay inside it.

I was going to try a leasure battery for the main one and reuse my old car battery for this. They seem like they cost a bit, even if they are more suited to the use. Have a solar panel to hook up to them from Lidl too

Been buying from them all along, they include estimated customs charges at check out. If charges are more they don't look for more and if they are less they refund them. I've received a few refunds too, but it was pence. Definitely no couriers at the door looking for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bumpkins

I would go direct like others have suggested. On the Shockrite website it says that they repair units beyond the extended warranty which is great too and less to worry about (3 year warranty on battery and mains energisers, 2 year warranty on solar energisers)

"If there is a fault with your ShockRite energiser please contact us at: sales@shockrite.co.uk with the details. We offer an extended warranty on all of our electric fence energisers, and will also repair ShockRite fencers for a small fee outside of warranty (final fee is given on inspection of unit)." (https://www.shockrite.co.uk/help-advice/troubleshooting-faq/)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Forcefield battery fencers now carry a 3 year warranty. (maybe not the cheapest but just giving the heads up)

orm0nd wrote: »
    Forcefield battery fencers now carry a 3 year warranty. (maybe not the cheapest but just giving the heads up)

There is 3 year warranty with these too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

orm0nd wrote: »

Good to know. I bought a DG1 last year, cost 200 euro, supposed to cover up to 25 acre perimeter.
    Mine is setup around 6 acres.
    Hopeless fencer. I've tried everything; poly wire, steel wire, made sure not a blade of grass touching it, change the earth pole, put a new battery and still its useless, the shock is weak. At about 400m from the fencer there's no shock at all.
    Good thing I haven't paid for it yet as it's not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Got this battery fence for a site, around 600 mts in total. Any idea how long it should last?

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/products/cheetah-cub-battery-fencer-complete-with-battery-130ah-0760750

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Don't know why anyone is still buying battery fencers when you can buy a Shockrite Solar Fencer for less than €200.

Bought one last year myself and will never go back to battery fencers again.

• Advertisement

I use 12V battery fencers and separate solar panels as I need more than a 0.2J strip grazer and and integrated solar fencers over 1J get into stupid money fairly quick.

Battery will last a few months but will reduce in voltage steadily over the life of the battery so how long you actually get will depend on type of cattle you are trying to keep in, young stock or a bull may want battery changed more often, also length of fence and how well you keep vegetation off the fence will also be a factor.

That fence unit can run on 12V so I'd put a lawnmower battery in it and get a 20W solar panel with charge controller and it should run all season long without changing batteries.

Advertisement