Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I doesn't matter if you are sick of the mindset or not. Most people if they are paying and have a choice will want as few social housing units beside them as possible and will try to actively avoid social housing beside them at all. You getting upset about it is the equivalent of trying to hold back the tide, you are pissing into the wind imo

It's also my opinion that if you had to scrimp and save for a deposit in order to get a mortgage to buy a house whic h you will work like a slave to pay back over the next 30 years you will try to avoid anything that would bring down the value of that house, make it look bad or make it difficult to live in.

That's why there are good estates in every town and bad ones, good areas and bad ones.....you may try to spread out the issues but people will still find ways to get around it.....the reason the houses in the good areas command a premium is because there is more demand for them and less supply.....the non-assholes know there's no point fighting with the assholes and getting dragged down to their level and instead seek out more non-assholes they can live around and have some quality of life/privacy/peace..and people think there is a higher chance of assholes or asshole behaviour when people don't have to pay or pay much less for something than the going rate (I tend to believe that myself tbh...things given free/cheap seem to be abused/taken for granted/not respected, but if you have to earn something you tend to treat it with a lot more respect ..people thinking like that....not so crazy.....and it was ever thus imo.

Let me ask you this hypothetical question, You've got 500k to spend

You can buy a house in a nice mature area where there is very little crime or anti-social behaviour, the chances are when you go to sell, this house has a chance of making that money again or even more as this is a desirable area (even if its just due to snobbniness - that's where the demand is).....in the meantime there is also the least risk of crime, anti-social behaviour eye etc

Or

You can put your money where your opinion is and buy a cheaper house in an area with lots of social housing or a new estate with a high allocation of social housing .....where those allocated are paying a lot less and haven't had to work for it....and statistically there is more crime / anti-social activity happening.....theres a higher chance here you will get less than you paid here when you go to sell and regardless of what people think about forever homes you probably will sell at some stage....fair enough you might save yourself plenty for a good security set up and change for a savings account

Now I know things aren't as black and white as those two stark options above but that's the thought process and it's not entirely devoid of logic or evidence to back it up (and we haven't even began talking about parents wanting a safe environmenr to bring up kids)

Anyway if you had the option of either which would you choose?

The answer to what the majority would choose is in my opinion evident in the gap in prices between "good" areas and "bad" areas in every part of the globe......

Post edited by amacca on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My daughter was best friends with a social welfare recipient and we were very sad when they left. We're not on social welfare. There's an anecdote from you, can we move on from this crap?

Any ideas on occupancy rates in formerly empty developments like Clancy quay? I'm baffled how everything is now more full than it was before WFH and in the absence of a lot of foreign students not coming to Ireland. Has there been an immigration boom during covid19? Have a lot of Irish returned home?

Any ideas what is happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

1) Are pension funds/funds investing in property as the yield is better than bonds, stocks etc?

2) Is that yield a function of rental prices/rates?

(For commercial units as well)

3) Is it true that said funds would rather leave units lying idle than accept lower rents, drop rates and realise a much lower ROI/yield

If the answer to all 3 questions is yes then perhaps they are not full?

Or there is a shortage and even with less foreign students etc there's not enough supply to satisfy demand? And it might be a more severe crisis if there was no covid even with building materials costing less than they do now etc?

Maybe less people are leaving the country as well as people coming back as there's nowhere to go?....Its uncertain out there.....UK not the option it once was, no flights to states etc....id be nervous about leaving now if I had a family to support.

I currently have over 500K to spend on a house. My requirements are few. Location, by that I mean where in the city the house is located. Not the housing estate. Is it on public transport, is it a short commute to work, are there shops within walking distance, is there a park or somewhere else I can have a walk close by, is it not too far from college.

A South or south/West rear facing garden and a back/side entrance are hopes. That's it really.

If I had millions I wouldn't live in a house on Killiney hill. More likely to buy a rundown 3 storey along the NCR and do it up. I believe in getting value for my money. I don't care what anyone else pays or doesn't pay for their house and I feel sorry for you if that's the most important thing about your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

Your wish list while not wholly extravagant is well beyond the reach of most working people. What's been paid for social housing is a major contributing factor to that affordability issue.

• Advertisement

No it is not! Houses in crumlin, drimnagh, cabra etc all fit the bill and are well within the reach of most working people. Which I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most working people do not have 500k to spend on a house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You have 500k to spend on a house. That's well beyond what "most working people" can afford to spend on a house.

Median income for a 2 adults with no kids household as per https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditionssilc2019/income/ was just €50,809 in 2019. That equates to a mortgage at 3.5 LTI of <180,000. Stick a healthy deposit of ~50k on top and you're still only looking at €230,000. How many 3 beds that tick your boxes does that actually get you in Dublin? Even in those areas you listed, it doesn't go far. Throw in an extra ~100k of inheritance for fun. Daft has 25 3 beds under €325k in total across Crumlin/Drimnagh/Cabra/Dolphin's Barn.

What house can a household on that income afford to buy?

vs

What house can a social housing recipient live in?

Can you not accept that a) the social housing strategy is playing a part in driving prices up and competing with FTBs? and b) it's unfair that the median working household cannot afford to buy as nice a house/area as those who aren't working or earn a lot less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Grand big green for the kids to play (joyride) in too!

Here's a dream location for a mere 70k. You're kids will go up fast here tho!

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-182-moneymore-drogheda-co-louth/3622611

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's not as expensive as you think. A couple buying a 500k house would have an above average deposit, where ever it came from we will assume 20% Inc GTB

If they get a derogation they would have 4 times income so combined income of 100k.

Repayments would be in the 1700 euro/months over 25 years or 1500/month over 30 years. They would have a household monthly income of 6200/month or 27% of income if the 25 year option is chosen.

Slava Ukrainii

Added bonus is that your kids will get the snobbyness knocked out of them on a regular basis. They might even end up knocking the snobbyness out of other kids in a fews years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most working people do not have a combined income of 100k! - Certainly not most getting mortgages. Central bank has a breakdown of mortgage applicants each year, also includes Dublin specific stats also.

Also keep in mind there is a bias here in that only people who actually get the mortgage and the house are recorded here, those who didnt earn enough wont be counted in the stats which skews them higher.

No they don't, but they can afford houses in crumlin, drimnagh, cabra etc which is the point I was making.

I dont intend to spend that btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Average lending rate in Dublin is 3.3 time LTV, rest of the country is 3.0.

In a so called heated market the metrics look ok.

Except for Dublin average house prices are not approaching 500k.

In midsized towns houses are around the 250-280k bracket largest urban centers 280-350k. In cities and in commuting area adjacent to Dublin about 250-400k is the go.

Most trades people ate now on 50k/year, most MNC's are paying that and above. So. Is in Dublin first year out of college and on 35k/ year with pension and health insurance kicking in from the new year on.

I really like to see figures for incomes excluding students who skew the overall figures. Those on single incomes of less than 35k in Dublin are entitled to HAP support and go on the housing list. The funny thing is most younger professionals don't apply for it even though they ate entitled to it

Slava Ukrainii

I guess you're being funny 🙄 are you saying all social tenants joyride and burn out cars? Did you not claim to grow up in council housing? Maybe I have you mixed up. But you definitely sold a house to the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Like others I'm sure not coming to this forum as often but something I thought was interesting.

The close correlation between daft asking and CSO PPR has played through from my post last March

So what should we expect for Mar 2022 now (assuming a 6 month lag not my 1 year lag originally)

Latest daft report https://ww1.daft.ie/report/2021-Q3-houseprice-daftreport.pdf?d_rd=1

Asking prices dropped back between Aug and Sep (169.7 v's 168). Now asking prices same as June

All things being equal should translate to the CSO numbers trending towards flat Mar 2022

First time since 2013 that asking prices have dropped between these 2 months (fairly regular drop Oct -> Nov perhaps related to seasonality)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭The Student

The poster is not saying all social tenants joyride. Whether you want to accept the fact or not there is more of a risk of anti social issues in social housing estates than privately owned estates. The minority who destroy social housing areas are responsible for the reputation of social housing estates.

Your experience of issues in social housing estates are rare in the main. if social housing areas are as you say why do we find houses in social housing estates boarded up? If you feel that there are little or no issues in traditionally working class areas and you feel that people paying extra to live in more desirable areas then work away in purchasing in the more traditional working class areas.

As someone who has lived in one of the traditional working class areas you mentioned in a previous post I can tell you it is not all sweetness and light that you appear to think it is. Wait until you cross paths with one of those individuals/families who destroy areas and see how you get on.

If you stalked me properly you would have read that yes I did grow up in a council estate and that i alo said that 90% pf people were just lovely, but that a few scum families destroyed the whole estate and also destroyed the lives of a fair proportion of the other nice families living there.

And I ended with saying I do not want to put my kids through that if I can help it at all.

I will say too that not all social tenants steal burn out cars, but Im willing to bet most who steal and burn out cars are children of social tenants who grew up in social housing.

So, we don't want large scale council estates.

But we don't want social tenants living beside us.

We don't want mixed estates because the value of our houses will go down.

But we want houses to be cheaper so we can buy them.

Mmmmmm, 🤔🤔

• Advertisement

I also grew up in more than one of those estates.

There is no reason to presume that if you live in private housing, the social tenant next door is anymore likely to be antisocial, then the private tenant next door neighbour

You are clearly not getting the points people are making here.

Try to get past your inner SJW and look at it from buyers eyes.

I have been a.buyer twice in my life, and currently may be a buyer again.

What's a sjw

I give up.

You just arent getting it are you.

More concerned with virtue signalling than understanding peoples points.

So which part of this is wrong?

So long as people put so much emphasis on the value of their houses, instead of buying a home that suits their needs, there will be issues.

Estates need a proper mix of housing and tenants and people need to worry less about what their neighbours are paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

no body is saying that everyone in social housing is antisocial. What they are saying is that there are higher chances of antisocial behaviour. That’s not snobbery that’s a fact of life.. whether the antisocial behaviour is due to not having the same opportunity or have problems at home, boredom or whatever you will find higher levels of antisocial behaviour in social housing and that’s a fact. If there were no issues then why do the government have DESH schools with social workers and supports in the school that you wouldn’t find in a regular school….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why do estates need a 'proper mix' and how do you define a 'proper' mix.

Deis schools?

Almost Every national school in Leitrim, Cavan and Donegal is designated a deis school! What does that have to do with social housing?

So, still no one wants social housing estates, but no one wants social housing mixed with private .......🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I DO want mixed estates. I want people who buy a house for 500k to live next to other people who could afford a little less and get a boost.

And people who could afford a 300k house to live next to other people who needed a little boost etc.

What I can’t abide is a system that puts people paying nothing or very little next door to those paying 500k. It’s not fair. It doesn’t incentivise or reward hard work. It actually inflames the anti social housing sentiments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Two interesting articles in the IT today which raise important issues; (1) the rock and a hard place position of the government who do not want house prices to fall at all but then claim to want to sort the housing crisis (which requires house prices and rents to drop significantly); and (2) the State has inflated the bubble.

What is interesting about (1) is that it was written by a research director at BNP Paribas Real Estate - the wheels of the economy are coming to a grinding halt from this housing mess and when you have the likes of Dermot Desmond and this research director criticizing the lack of affordability, calling for prices to drop, then the game must be up. It occurred to me today that the exodus of small landlords the last few years, while bad for the rental market, was a stroke of genius and excellent timing for the small landlords as the direction of travel from here is extremely uncertain and "past performance is not a guide to future performance" is an apt warning.

O'Broin being given a platform in the IT is giving real legitimacy to SF's housing policy and the penny must be starting to drop that whether people like it or not, SF are a mainstream, credible alternative party. For housing alone, I will vote for them but I am not affiliated to any political party, they just resonate with me.

Wishing to be re-elected, the Government desperately wants to deliver more homes. But this presents a conflict, because it is equally fearful of doing something that would cause house prices to fall. There are four reasons for this. First, politicians know that 70 per cent of Irish households own their own homes, and they fear alienating these voters with policies which would erode housing wealth. Second, through painful experience, the Government has learned that falling house prices can quickly get out of control. Once prices start sliding, all that is needed for a self-fulfilling deflationary spiral is the expectation that this will continue. A third, and related, concern is the banking system. Banks typically lend to first-time-buyers at loan-to-value ratios of up to 90 per cent. This provides limited leeway for price slippage before the outstanding mortgage balances exceed the value of the assets that are securing them. Finally, house price deflation conflicts with the objective of delivering more homes. 

Successive governments have taken a pragmatic approach to resolving this dilemma, by channelling increased public funding into schemes which subsidise occupiers. Interventions like Help-to-Buy, the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan, the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) and Social Leasing tick multiple boxes for politicians. First, they help people to secure accommodation that would otherwise be unaffordable. Second, because these schemes increase the amount that people can pay rather than reducing the housing costs that they face, they carry no deflation risk. On the contrary, by giving households – or State-sponsored agencies acting on their behalf – more money to procure housing solutions, they actually support prices, incentivising development.

Aside from this inflationary impact, the elephant in the room is the sheer scale of State involvement on the demand side of the housing market. A total of 12,304 new homes were purchased last year. State bodies accounted for 2,873 of these. A further 6,202 buyers of new homes claimed Help-to-Buy subsidies of up to €30,000. And 7,292 additional HAP tenancies were created, through which private landlords receive rents directly from the State. Meanwhile, 1,400 homes were leased in the private market for social housing.

Seventy-two per cent of the last government’s social housing targets were to come from the private rental sector. This has absorbed an enormous volume of private rental supply. Almost a third of all private rental tenancies are social housing tenants subsidised by a variety of Government schemes.

While the new Government’s housing plan does not contain targets for new HAP tenancies to 2025, its low social housing targets make an increase in HAP tenancies inevitable. Meanwhile the number of available properties in the private market has been falling. Since 2017 there has been a net loss of about 20,000 rental properties.

s single property landlords are leaving, new rental stock is being supplied by large institutional investors. Supported by excessive tax reliefs and retrograde changes to apartment design standards, much of the new stock is high-end, high-price and Dublin city centric.

The speculative nature of much of these schemes has pushed up land and development costs, hardwiring viability and affordability problems into our private rental sector for years to come.

Strangely, despite large volumes of planning permissions for such schemes being granted by the controversial Strategic Housing Development fast-track process, only a fraction has commenced construction.

In response to these dynamics successive government ministers have, since 2014, promised direct State investment in affordable cost rental accommodation.

The first cost rental homes were tenanted late this year, but October’s budget allocated only €70 million for next year. This means that cost rental output will be in the hundreds rather than the thousands of homes that are needed to meet demand.

Last thing, a Central Bank economic letter published today touching on inflation and how current cost of living rises could lead to higher wages and then further cost of living squeezes and increased inflation expectations - no s**t! This, for me, is not a probably scenario but an almost certain scenario and it is deeply troubling to think our regulator does not use more definitive language about it. The central banks are stuck at this point; raising interest rates will hamper their "growth" indicators but there are no tools left in the toolkit to further continue along the path they are on as the rock bottom interest rates can't go lower and QE must be wound down given the pandemic is on its last legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Family member just gone Sale Agreed 37k over asking after 10 days on the market in South Wexford

People don't seem to want council estates

I would like to see the state providing housing to everybody in a much more affordable level, estates with social housing, cost rental, affordable to buy altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thats like asking a liberal progressive why gender quotas are important

its an article of faith for them that they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

In the last week we've learned BAE systems (pension fund) and Katie Taylor are leasing gaffs to the councils.

When the ECB talk about "pockets of exuberance" are they actually referring to the Irish state lol

It really seems like there's a tsunami of capital falling over themselves to take advantage of 25-year inflation linked leases.

The conclusion paragraph of the central bank states a different perspective to your conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

Seems to be the view quite a few Central Banks, including the Federal Reserve earlier this month;

Inflation is elevated, largely reflecting factors that are expected to be transitory. Supply and demand imbalances related to the pandemic and the reopening of the economy have contributed to sizable price increases in some sectors. Overall financial conditions remain accommodative, in part reflecting policy measures to support the economy and the flow of credit to U.S. households and businesses.

And Australia's Reserve Bank;

Inflation has picked up, but in underlying terms is still low, at 2.1 per cent. The headline CPI inflation rate is 3 per cent and is being affected by higher petrol prices, higher prices for newly constructed homes and the disruptions in global supply chains. A further, but only gradual, pick-up in underlying inflation is expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You need to look at the continent to see the financial exuberance.

Here is restrained in comparison.

That's a reflection on the wild approach elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

Some interesting demographic stats in the I. T article written by the BNP employee.

Net migration peaked in 2018, reduced birth rate and increased death rate

New homes beginning to outpace household formation

You refuse to accept what people believe that they don't want to live with or near social housing. Again I will reiterate it is the minority of social housing tenants that destroy it for the majority.

It is also the states unwillingness to deal with said minority.

You have previously posted that you have 500k to spend on a property and do not mind living in working class areas or close to social housing. If you purchase in a traditional working class area then you should be able to purchase a property that meets your requirements and still have funds left over.

I am not sure of the purpose of your continous posting. Other posters have expressed views which you refuse to accept that they differ from yours. You may not agree with them but you seemed determined to argue that your viewpoint is right.

It may be right for you but it's not for others and you just can't accept that.

The fact they make no mention of housing shows how utterly lost they are and no one should for one second think our regulators have moved on from '08 and won't let us down again. Too tied to traditional barometers and modelling that is not that useful in the modern era.

Although to be a bit fair to our own central bank; the ECB is really our central bank so our guys in Dublin are just talking heads and data collectors. The real work happens at the level of the ECB.

• Advertisement

Maybe there's some sort of conscience between the civil servants at DCC after all. The social housing lease with BAE Systems is being reviewed apparently.

I would still like to see the Davy long term leases investigated by some journalists in the context of the link to Owen Keegan. There is just such a huge volume of Davy entities in long term social housing leases with DCC compared to any other corporate entity that it is a bit peculiar.

Meanwhile senior council housing officials are to seek legal advice on Tuesday on the proposed lease of social housing from the pension fund of British arms manufacturer BAE Systems.

Councillors on Monday night said they were opposed to the council officials proceeding with an agreement to lease the homes recently purchased by the company. These include a mix of newly-built apartments and houses, as well as refurbished homes on different roads in Kimmage and Crumlin which were snapped up by the pension fund.

Dave Dinnigan, the council’s director of housing delivery acknowledged councillors had concerns and said he believed they were “well meant” he said: “I will be talking to our law agent in the morning on what options are available to us and I will come back to the members with our decision. I don’t want to get into the particulars of that case tonight, but we will be making a decision on this as soon as I’ve talked to the law agent tomorrow.”

it is right and they are wrong. Very simple. They just don't have any good reason.

we don't want large social housing estates, we don't want social housing in our private estates. What would you suggest?

Also, not one single person has been able to show anymore chance that your neighbour will be anti social if they are social tenants, then if they are private tenants.

The Irish regulators do not set monetary policy it’s the ECB and they are afraid that tightening monetary policy will cause a recession throughout Europe.

Have a read of the latest speech on the topic

You are now just trolling. Multiple posters have highlighted personal experiences of anti social issues in social housing estate and with a minority of social tenants and you refuse to accept people's personal experiences.

You are not getting the answers you want to hear so refuse to accept the answers you are being given.

For this reason I see no point in engaging further with you on this topic as its pointless.

I am not refusing, I have no doubt posters have those personal experiences.

There are also many many people who have had the same experience with private tenants. I think the fact that you think it's somehow ok and perfectly justified to tar all people of a certain social background As criminals and anti social deviants, says a lot about you.

Maybe you should listen to the many many posters who have had issues with their neighbours who own their houses? Or rent privately?

So long as there are attitudes like yours in this country we will have a housing problem

I would suggest you read my posts carefully again. You are blinded by your opinion. I said it was the minority of people but sure hey interpet my posts to suit your narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

"asking price" is a bit meaningless these days, estate agents will list for under the actual valuations to get the ball rolling.

On to that, what standard median income style homes have gone for below or at asking price in the last 18 months? Very few if any I'd imagine.

If you're looking at homes in your area and the asking is 200k I'd say slap 15 on top of it minimum before you get close to getting it, if you go into the housing market thinking you're getting a "good deal" at the moment you're deluded I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There’s not much in the area so we weren’t expecting to get past asking, mostly people live there to commute to bigger areas because houses are affordable

Asking prices are way under the bidding. Presumably estate agents are not taking the lack of supply into consideration.

I viewed a house, normal 3 bed semi, in Blanchardstown, close to the village, a few weeks ago. Wasn't a great house, just an ok house, asking 370,000 i bowed out at 420,000.

There's a house a friend of mine is bidding on in Palmerston, asking 260,000 bidding currently at 320,000 and likely to go higher. Good house, but needs work.

Lack of supply is pushing all houses up and up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement