Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

It's better for everybody to have mixed housing. Firstly it stops the discrimination towards social tenants. Mixed housing with tenants of various social backgrounds and incomes has been shown to be the best in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well if you lot hadn't pushed interest rates below zero, People who want or need yield might have more and safer choices. Somebody please buy them a mirror, it will make it a lot easier and quicker for them to find the causes of problems in the economy.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Those blue lights you see flashing in your rear view mirror, may soon provide the answer you seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This ignores the whale activity in the market and places too much emphasis on what the individual buyer is up to - a reason I feel the regulators dropped the ball and are already looking at the empty stable after the horse has bolted. The problem with our housing bubble is that it has been inflated by the rental market; the yields available for investors in the PRS has meant that the home buyer market has also been lifted. John and Jane Doe taking on a mortgage 3.5/4.5 times their combined earnings are not "overleveraged" as they would've been in the build up to 2008, but they make up a small part of the activity in the market.

I posted before that;

"there's only in the region of 30-40k mortgages drawn down each year in Ireland the past 6 years since the mortgage limits were introduced (this was the equivalent of the mortgages drawn down in 2003 and 2004 alone) so it is a drop in the ocean as far as the property market is concerned. A well insulated and protected ocean, but only a small proportion of the market where the LTI/LTV limits are actually relevant."

I mean, it's good to know that individual buyers aren't going to be as overleveraged as before but who knows exactly what the impact will be in the event of a correction in the bubble areas (i.e. rental market) - a good guess would be the State with its long-term leases at 85/90% of bubble rents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

That's not reality though, look at any Irish city, they all have the swanky parts where houses prices are at least twice that in the less nice parts, people who can are more than happy to pay over the odds to live surrounded by their peers but the government and councils have so spectacularly failed to provide social housing estates they are buying up €500k houses at the taxpayers expense and competing with private buyers.

Anyone know why the old council scheme of providing affordable sites to people doesn't seem to be making a comeback?

Would have thought them buying up a field, re-zoning it, sticking in a road and utilities then selling sites at cost price to people able to get a mortgage to build would have been a key part of Housing for All and would be a great fudge come election time as they can say they have provided 2000 sites to people when they could have only built 200 houses themselves in that time. Also has some green merits as they could be encouraging people to build in small towns rather than out in the countryside, most towns have little scope to get planning as the development boundaries are so restricted and any zoned land is normally already owned by the local rich lad who is buddies with the local planner.

This is how it's done in Finland, it's a great system. Anyone who wants to build their own house can buy the site with the roads, lights, services all in place.

They can then choose from a number of different house types that are allowed in that area.

Combine that with the sustainability of modular housing and it would be a great initiative to (re)introduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1.25m doesnt get much any more, and to be fair id imagine the total spend by the owners including the refurbs etc would be a million and the rest so the uplift isnt as stark.

Its 1800 sq feet in a desirable location and turnkey, id be surprised if it sells for much less.

Although give me sandycove over sandymount any day of the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

House prices in Ireland rose 12% in the last year, not exactly sustainable either. The dough from multinationals pays for almost everything in Ireland, corporation tax is looking iffy enough into the future, Ireland will surely be less tempting for MNCs from now on.

Anyone got the figures of the combined councils, hap, cluid, mc verry etc etc etc for house purchases and rentals last year? Surely corporation tax is the only thing keeping that spend going?

Here's a excerpt below that says cluid alone have over 300 houses in laois!-https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/property/694620/50-million-contract-for-new-social-housing-in-portlaoise.html

Clúid Housing which already owns over 300 houses in Laois rented out to council tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When you consider it cost 720k in 2017, has house price gone up by 40% I those 4 and a half years. That brings it to a million.

Renovation look like at least 250k and that is not allowing for present house building inflation.

Any buyer will have to make choice in trying to buy a doer upper and comparing the cost.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Double digit increase is not sustainable, but that doesn't mean that this should lead to significant fall in coming few years.

Corporate tax is not the only public revenue. Revenue from Income tax and VAT is higher than Corporate tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't care if someone next door to me wins their house, inherits it, or is gifted it by an eccentric billionaire. It's none of my business.

What I do care about and I cannot understand why any citizen, especially taxpayers, wouldn't is that this is taxpayer's money being spent in an extremely inefficient and unfair way. The social housing system is essential. It should provide for a reasonable standard of housing for people who cannot afford to do so alone. What it shouldn't do is leapfrog those people above others who aren't getting any support from the government/council.

There are so many people buying outside of their preferred areas or away from family or with long commutes or unable to buy at all. Meanwhile, people who either aren't working or are eligible for some kind of help can be far more selective. That is inherently unfair.

People from Sandymount/Sydney Parade I knew used to make that joke back when I was a teenager - it's sad hearing an adult make these jokes as you can tell they believe them to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Just because a company is buying back shares doesn’t mean it’s not investing in the company.

It makes sense to buy back shares and issue debt instead for capital investment in companies seeing as debt is the cheapest it has ever been.

I agree that the rental market is pushing house prices up. I don't think I would call it a bubble as it is unlikely to pop anytime soon as people will need to live somewhere and supply is slow to come to market. The only time rents will decrease is when there is a over-supply out there and landlords will need to lower prices to attract tenants. To me it seems like we are a long way off this happening.

What was interesting about the ECB report is that other EU countries are having the exact same problems with housing but they are seeing a deterioration in lending standards with higher LTV & LTI which is helping fuel housing prices. If the central bank rules were not in place here we would be seeing the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Could you have said something roundly similar in 2005?

It needs a trigger event and with so many different assets in a bubble, a trigger event is far more likely.

Just to add to earlier post Michael o Leary made a significant transaction on shares last week. If cash is such a bad asset why are so many at the top making that choice

In 2005 there was plenty of supply of rental accommodation as every tom, dick and harry and purchased at least one second home as an investment because banks were willing to lend.

Yes every bubble needs a trigger event to pop but even if the stock market crashed massively it would have limited impact on housing unless the stock market crash saw companies going to the wall and large scale unemployment in Ireland or massive emigration. At the end of the day people still need to live somewhere and if they can't afford to buy there only other option is to rent and without a choice of places to rent they are forced to pay top dollar.

Cash is always King.... but at the moment we are seeing inflation and low rates which means that people are loosing money by keeping cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Other than denial of a bubble, I don't think you'd have said anything similar in 2005 at all. What trigger event would cause a price crash in Ireland?

Interest rate rises - they would take some buyers out of the market but many would be FTBs are paying way more on rent than they would on a mortgage already. There are enough of those who could absorb a decent rate rise and mop up the pitiful supply.

REITs leaving - they're unlikely to dump hundreds or thousands of properties on the market all at once and cause a price crash they would directly suffer from

Corp Tax increase->MNCs leaving - this would hurt for sure but a lot of them would need to leave very quickly

I just don't see it. The supply is so so small right now that just about any shock could be absorbed because there are a queue of buyers for every home going. Maybe a more lethal pandemic or Thanos clicking his fingers would do it.

CEOs and top executives make enormous transactions all the time. Whether it's diversification, liquefying assets to pay taxes/living costs, or very often a pre-scheduled sale within certain allowed trading periods. They sometimes make the headlines and it looks like a CEO losing faith in their company but usually it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

to be fair its no longer really north side south side its more east and west dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Trigger events will be international not local. Ireland is not the centre of the world economy. We are extremely open economy so are highly vulnerable to international shock waves particularly in I. T. And finance and real estate

Where are the bubbles?

You can add Sinn fein getting into power to that list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Ballymun, Tallaght, St Michael's estate Inchicore, Fatima Mansions, Oliver bond flats to mention just a few. These are all well known areas with anti social issues. Guess what they have in common?

Ironically it is only a handful of people in these areas who completely destroy areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Michael Burry also liquidated his short positions. It's very uncertain at the moment. If there is a housing crisis in China and China sells its US bonds and middle East sells oil in currency other than dollar, it could be serious inflation time. In such an environment shares would probably be a better store of value.

Have you looked at the price of a laptop lately?

Yes, China looking shaky in the real estate front. How would REIT redemptions work in a rising rate environment and what if Facebook Google left at the same time?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭hometruths

but at the moment we are seeing inflation...

I knew you'd come round eventually ;)

That's a lot of what if's.....

China is always looking shaky but yet we get 75% of our goods from there and that won't change unless there is some sort of protest about climate action that looks for a boycott. The Chinese government are the ones that are deliberately causing the real estate to be shaky as they try to slow the housing market.

REIT/Fund redemptions have plenty of clauses that would stop a run with investors pulling funds. These have all been strengthened following Q1 2020. The ECB say rates won't rise till at least 2023 and when they do rise it will be in very small increments and will be nowhere near the yield on property so should not impact.

If there is a crash in the stock market then you will see investors flee to liquid assets such as government bonds which will result in downward pressure on the yields and in turn on rates. If the stock market crash causes contagion then you will see the central banks step in with more QE to calm the markets which in turn will put downward pressure on rates.

The biggest risk to the whole financial system is the introduction of a E-Currency being globally adopted and resulting in the USD no longer being the global currency.... If that happened then you would definitely see hyper inflation in the states.... but the likely-hood of that happening is remote.

The most likely thing to happen is that there will be more QE taking place to finance the Green revolution once the global economy starts to stutter in 2022/2023.

• Advertisement

Interesting commentary here on Evergrande non payment to German bond owner and the Chinese derivative market.

https://youtu.be/cNMhfbanDhE

I could see Xi being quite happy to knock down the house of cards.

Advertisement