Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In my experience, usually back to market with a different agent. Sales typically fall through 1-2 months down the line when "things" get discovered by the buyer, by which point other bidders have long moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

O’Devaney Gardens developer warned Minister it would sell 500 homes to cuckoo fund if Government didn’t buy them

Bartra's CEO Mike Flannery sent a letter to Housing Minister Darragh O'Brien warning him that they had already engaged with an estate agent about potentially selling the homes to a cuckoo fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This is the policy of bowing down to institutionals coming home to roost; they control government policy and it is 100% geared towards big investors with a few bones thrown to those at the very bottom. But what is essentially happening is that the institutionals are harvesting the productive capital of individuals for themselves; the State and the citizens don't benefit from this policy at all. Then the government wonders why it is polling so poorly when it is doing what the institutionals say is needed to fix the housing crisis or why individuals get up in arms over any effort to do anything with taxes other than decrease them.

Institutionals have a part to play in a functioning market, but in Ireland for the last decade the institutionals ARE the market; a trickle of new builds are being given to the individual home buyers as this is how the institutionals want it; to keep demand for their rentals high - artificially high at that. It is a con that the housing crisis is based on stable demand, it is being totally manipulated by a tiny handful of vested, faceless interests and the whole two-card trick can fall apart very quickly with some real government intervention to direct policy more towards what is better for the individuals; i.e. plentiful, affordable housing.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Sold in November 2021 for 695k back up for 845k or around 21.6% increase in a couple months

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You hardly need David McWilliams to tell you that though. It's basic economics.

That said, the guy saying they have 100k deposit and can't buy a home doesn't get much sympathy from me. They can't buy a home in the place they want.

All throughout the history of buying properties, many people have had to compromise.

In the 90's people were priced out of homes in Dublin and had to buy in Celbridge, Leixlip and Maynooth.

You have a park and ride in Meath for 1200 cars for commuters into Dublin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Parkway_railway_station

A lot of these are people who were living in Dublin but had to move out to a commuter town to afford to buy.

A friend of mine working in Dublin just bought a house in Laois because they couldn't find somewhere affordable.

And I think articles like that guy with 100k deposit complaining doesn't help sway those who support FFG. Just means they can come back to them with answers like "you have 100k deposit and salary of 150k, meaning you can buy a house worth over 550k, you can buy a mighty house in X place"

There's levels to this and of the people deserving sympathy, the lads with 100k deposits are way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

General question here. Didn't want to start a new thread. If you buy a new build, do you get any input into how it's finished? Paint colours, worktops etc that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

Have to say I find it funny working in dublin with Dubs who can't imagine the idea of buying outside of Dublin.

Myself and my partner are SA halfway between her home place and mine. Fine home and literally half the price of a shoebox apartment in Dublin. With WFH should be manageable with the Dublin Jobs a day or even two a week.

Personaly I think the mental block that some Dublin people have with property outside the pale offers good opportunities for the rest of us. But maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

To be honest I find it more common country people moving to Dublin and afraid to live anywhere apart from DLR. Co-worker from Cork was shocked when I told him I lived in a 4 bed semi in a private estate in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Well I'll put it this way - if we move out of Dublin we then have to move jobs & schools. We also would have no family support when we currently have 9 available adults for babysitting & some teenagers. Our main social activity is going to gigs which, at the moment., we can walk to in the vast majority of cases. Moving out of Dublin is not something either of us want to do and we would rather continue to rent here then have a 3 bedroom house in Louth where we all have to start again. Our eldest has Aspergers and gets phenomenal support from his school - something that is not true across the board if the Autism parenting forums I am in are anything to go by. It's all well and good to say 'Move out of dublin' but it's not just the cost that is a factor for us. Quality of life matters too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People who grew up in a city and enjoy city lifestyles don't want to leave the city.

I am shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

All of my family and friends are in Dublin, and my job. I’m happy to pay more to live in Dublin, in a smaller place, because it’s where I want to live.

I’m well aware that I could buy a decent sized house in a commuter county for the same money, but I don’t wish to live in Kildare/Meath/Laois/wherever.

Not making the same life choices as you is not a “mental block”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Dublin is a containment city for dubliners - unaffordability pushing dubliners out further from the city is bad news for everyone

another boards thread that descends into this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Lighten up its a joke

Though it is inevitably a bad thing when people are pushed out of Dublin as it means prices go higher around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s not the agents fault. It’s thanks to an overzealous solicitor insisting on having old documentation from the. 1960s that cannot be located

Exactly.

I could buy a couple of houses in my home county for cash, but I live and work in Dublin. No option for work from home for some sectors. I have made the decision to stay in Dublin and I will rent until the right house comes along. I have a great life in Dublin, Not everyone wants a mansion in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My son has apergers and the local schools out here in the sticks, were both fantastic. Good support is not exclusive to Dublin. He sailed through the LC and went to DCU and got a computer science degree. In my daughters case, the same HS were perfectly accommodating when she wanted to drop lcvp in favour of teaching herself Japanese, which she did. She also sailed through the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Was just my observation of properties I personally went sale agreed on and then pulled out of being relisted by different agents rather than the same one. I cannot attribute any blame because I have no idea if the sellers just wanted to try someone fresh or whether the agent did not want to deal with the property again.

Way things are going anything other than documentation in full order is going to attract headaches.

• Advertisement

I didn't for one second suggest that country schools weren't as good as Dublin schools - infact many Dublin schools are failing their neuro-diverse students. Luckily the school my son is in is fantastic which is why we want to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

A lot of big talk that they may have to back up with real action in less than 3 years. It's actually crazy how fast the last two years have gone since the last election. Any progress made on the housing crisis by FF/FG? Not really and they effectively need a miracle with housing affordability and supply to dramatically increase very rapidly.

I've extracted one part of the article below and to be honest would love the panic among corporate Ireland when this policy starts to get implemented.

He also said his party would remove the tax advantages afforded to foreign investment funds, which are buying up apartment developments in urban areas, and driving up prices in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and like dublin and see the appeal.i don't want to take away from anyone's lived experiences.

We all have our own race to run in life and our own hurdles to jump. Just saying I find it funny that some people I know who could consider life outside dublin don't.

We all have support networks in our home place but wouldn't it be a very boring world if we all stayed in the same place our whole lives.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a fairly big hurdle to jump since moving out of Dublin is usually a one way ticket.

I left the city, you gain some things and you lose others. If the things you lose are important to people it's easy to see why they really wouldn't want to leave, since it's very unlikely they'll ever be able to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's amusing how people speak of moving out of Dublin as a choice, when in reality it is forced on most people through affordability

Ye quickly forget that there are more Dublin workers living outside Dublin than in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I think whoever owns this house should sack sherry Fitzgerald.

1st prize in how to make your house look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDigweed

405k starting price for Prosperous is nuts. 2015 a similar house on that road sold for 250k.

Good luck finding a time machine to let you buy anything in Dublin at it's 2015 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have a clue, I have never lived in Dublin. I know roughly where DCU is and the airport, and St Stephen's Green and the Australian embassy, and that's about it. :-)

Advertisement