Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

John1648 wrote: »
    Dear forum participants,

I took into account the comments you have made about Citywest.

Now I am close to sale agreed on 2 bedroom apartment, very good condition, tenants in situ, rent 1400, price 200 000 EUR (quoted initially at 180 000), Cardy rock view area, close to the sea.

The tenants want to stay for 2 more year.

How does this sound to you as an investment?

I must say there is real frenzy on the market, people getting rid of cash in the anticipation of upcoming hyperinflation, it is a true liquidity tsunami...

Thank you!

Do people really think hyperinflation coming? Will FED/ECB not raise rates?
    We plan to buy with max budget right now but market not looking too good, we can't find good property, good area etc.
    We have 50,000 cash so we worrying a small bit either we buy something we not happy with in fear or try wait longer but risk losing cash value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Ace2007 wrote: »
    And if variable interest rates sky rocket how many of those 90% mortgage rate holders are going to be suffering and potentially defaulting.

It’s amazing how many posters put down someone who’s sacrifice things for what they want- too many people want to walk into a palace like house from day one and not have any renovations or anything to do. You can rent and buy cheaply in dublin of you want to - but too many people are afraid of what their peers might say and instead getting in over their head and then can’t afford to save

Why not get the five year fixed? Bragging about having enough to buy in cash is probably not going to endear someone to everyone. Fair play money down but no need to brag, just buy and move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Ace2007 wrote: »
    And if variable interest rates sky rocket how many of those 90% mortgage rate holders are going to be suffering and potentially defaulting.

It’s amazing how many posters put down someone who’s sacrifice things for what they want- too many people want to walk into a palace like house from day one and not have any renovations or anything to do. You can rent and buy cheaply in dublin of you want to - but too many people are afraid of what their peers might say and instead getting in over their head and then can’t afford to save

Why are you quoting me with this BS?
    Who's on about variable rates? He/she can get a 10 year fixed interest rate mortgage.

I am not putting anyone down. Your post reads of just an excuse to vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Do people really think hyperinflation coming? Will FED/ECB not raise rates?
    We plan to buy with max budget right now but market not looking too good, we can't find good property, good area etc.
    We have 50,000 cash so we worrying a small bit either we buy something we not happy with in fear or try wait longer but risk losing cash value.

Don't think we heading to hyperinflation. But if inflation goes over 2%, ECB likely will raise rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

Do people really think hyperinflation coming?
    People who remember the 70s and 80s always think a rise in prices is the beginning of a spiral into hyperinflation.

What they always fail to overlook is that they were part of the massive population boom that caused that inflation.

Whenever there's a temporary spike in a commodity like recently with lumber it crypto and gold sellers ramp up their hyperinflation sales pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

For me it is quite clear where this will lead for Ireland; staff of MNCs will be able to locate in their home country in order to service the local market rather than needing to be based in Ireland. This never made sense to me why, for example, a Spanish person services Spain, working in Spanish, from Dublin.

The demand for rentals, especially high end corporate lettings and spill off properties, such as short lettings, should soften (to use a fluffy word like how the lobbyists refer to declines in demand and prices) over the coming years. More indigineous industries will need to be invested in which of course is a good thing.

https://www.ft.com/content/a308bbff-5926-47a1-9202-6263e667511e
    The G7 advanced economies have struck what they have termed a “historic agreement” on taxing multinationals in a bid to create unstoppable momentum for a global deal.

A communique issued on Saturday showed that the US, Japan, Germany, France, UK, Italy and Canada had found enough compromise both to stop companies shifting profits to low tax jurisdictions and ensure the largest multinationals pay more tax where they operate.

If implemented this would overturn a century of international corporate taxation, where profits are taxed only where companies have a physical presence.

The definition of the largest global companies is still to be ironed out. This part of the deal will require a global accord later this year.

In return for this concession, the US has gained agreement from the rest of the G7 for each country to impose a minimum global corporate tax rate of at least 15 per cent.

This will reduce the incentive for large companies to declare profits in tax havens or low tax jurisdictions such as Ireland because the country in which the company is headquartered will be able to top up corporate tax payments to the global minimum effective level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

For me it is quite clear where this will lead for Ireland; staff of MNCs will be able to locate in their home country in order to service the local market rather than needing to be based in Ireland. This never made sense to me why, for example, a Spanish person services Spain, working in Spanish, from Dublin.

The demand for rentals, especially high end corporate lettings and spill off properties, such as short lettings, should soften (to use a fluffy word like how the lobbyists refer to declines in demand and prices) over the coming years. More indigineous industries will need to be invested in which of course is a good thing.

We have gone through a lot of that before it unlikely as it exposes companies to multiple tax location and complicated company returns and tax exposure

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

Take the case of Pfizer. The above proposal actually changes little when investment in sciences in our education system starting the 1970s provided a steady graduate stream while industrialised nations still pushed car manufacturing as a vote getter, so much so that local tax breaks are needed which has in many cases already reduced the CTR below our 12.5% for their traditional champions.

For those countries voters it may packaged as a success but overall the multinationals now have a lower liability but I can see why they'd do this when many of the major industrials are facing increasing pension liabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Why are you quoting me with this BS?
    Who's on about variable rates? He/she can get a 10 year fixed interest rate mortgage.

I am not putting anyone down. Your post reads of just an excuse to vent.

Because you replied to the poster laughing at him at making sacrifices for last 10 years - was there any need for that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Incorrect. You can still buy it and then serve notice to tenant that you require the property for yourself.

No bank will give you a mortgage to do that though.

It seems odd to me that Irish media try pressure people to buy property when at record high!

Properties that cmae on our radar all seem to be going for all time high prices when checking data. If prices drop media seem to not encourage people to buy but right now they push for purchase and long term debt.

THis does not happen in other countries i lived in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It seems odd to me that Irish media try pressure people to buy property when at record high!

Properties that cmae on our radar all seem to be going for all time high prices when checking data. If prices drop media seem to not encourage people to buy but right now they push for purchase and long term debt.

When is the right time to buy property in Ireland?

Australia has been on a more or less constant property price escalator for the past 60 years, with only some minor dips and no crashes, so in pretty much any given year, prices have been at an all time high. Those who put off buying because of the frequent imminent crash predictons - which have never happened - were the mugs.

I personally don't think Irish property prices are out of kilter, compared globally, so I am not at all sure we are seeing a peak. Much as a lot of people don't like the idea, I think further rises are likely for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

cnocbui wrote: »
    When is the right time to buy property in Ireland?

Well the right time is when you need somewhere to live.

As an investor, the asset firesale of 2011-13 was the best time to buy if you had the means and the patience.

A taxi driver told me there were price drops in the late 80s but I haven't seen any statistics on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I personally don't think Irish property prices are out of kilter, compared globally, so I am not at all sure we are seeing a peak. Much as a lot of people don't like the idea, I think further rises are likely for years to come.

I agree. The prices seem to be detached from income. MarketWatch recently wrote that "owning a home will become a luxury [in the global economy]".

growleaves wrote: »
    I agree. The prices seem to be detached from income. MarketWatch recently wrote that "owning a home will become a luxury [in the global economy]".

We may see world wide protests and chaos if that happens.
    I disagree, prices should stall when interest rates rise.

• Advertisement

I do not think you are correct there. The bank may look for an larger deposit, (they tend to do that with apartnents anyway). They may also require that you have enough savings to cover your own rent while the notice period is in place.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I do not think you are correct there. The bank may look for an larger deposit, (they tend to do that with apartnents anyway). They may also require that you have enough savings to cover your own rent while the notice period is in place.

You'll only get it on a BTL mortgage, there is no 'buy a BTL and kick out the tenant' product on the market. That comes with all the BTL requirements.

You will be able to either change or refinance that to a normal product afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

We may see world wide protests and chaos if that happens.
    I disagree, prices should stall when interest rates rise.

Don't think interest rates on it's own would negatively effect property price, at least in nominal value. Interest rates may be increased due to the inflation, and during inflation, property price (nominal) typically goes up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭John1648

That good investment. ROI is slightly above 8%. If you borrowed 150k the repayments would be sub 850/month. Even assuming drop in rent your should not have to subsidize rental income to cover mortgage. Two year of a tenant in situ is a good option.

People on here complaining about no property available in Dublin. With WFH that apartment was readily available to a single person or young couple buying. It cannot be far from the LUAS.

Thank you Bass Reeves!

I am a cash buyer in fact. The 8 % ROI also sounds appealing to me.

It is just I do not Balbriggan so well.

How does that town seem to you for a longer term investment.

The apartment is in a very good condition, 70 sq.m, a bit of sea view, parking space. Seems better of an option than buy to let in Ballymun or Citywest. The apartment may be appealing for families to rent. The current tenants will be there in any case, but just wondering in the longer run.

It is quite close to airport with all the jobs there etc.

I have read the latest news on US and EU to agree on uniform increase of corporate taxes globally.

Corroborate that with recent scandalous "news" of Microsoft Dublin branch paying ZERO tax of 400 billion profits in EU.

Can EU force Ireland give up on the current tax rates?

Could that drive US multinationals out of Ireland?

That would lower prices and rents dramatically in Dublin.... a bad news for a small investor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

I really don't think anyone is pressuring anyone to buy property, simply rents are too high and if the bank will lend you money go for it; as paying a mortgage is certainly going to be cheaper than renting especially in big cities at this point in time.

There will get a point when people can't afford rent and can't afford to buy a house, that is when it will get interesting to see what happens.

L1011 wrote: »
    You'll only get it on a BTL mortgage, there is no 'buy a BTL and kick out the tenant' product on the market. That comes with all the BTL requirements.

You will be able to either change or refinance that to a normal product afterwards.

So far we have gone through two hoops

That property was not available to anyone other than an investor. It has tenants in situ.

That was incorrect

That was incorrect.

And you are incorrect as well. Yes you have to give tenant required notice period. And as I said the mortgage lenders require higher deposits for apartments. In general they still require no higher than normal deposits from investors. The only difference in a BTL is a slightly higher interest rate. 40 years ago when buying a house as the legal process was protracted you had to go on bridging.

That apartment was buyable by single person on a decent income or a couple on below average incomes. Yes it was not straight forward but lenders would be flexible as I have always found. In large urban area there is psychological barriers to moving.

Traditionally people from larger urban area's were shielded from emigration and did not have to move to find work like people from the west f Ireland. I think this creates an issue with urban dwellers. there is no inalienable right to live and work where you grew up or next to your parents

Slava Ukrainii

A mortgage company will not give a mortgage on a property with sitting tenants if it is for an owner occupier.

bubblypop wrote: »
    A mortgage company will not give a mortgage on a property with sitting tenants if it is for an owner occupier.

Yes they will and if they do not all you have to do is ring Joe Duffy with you sob story how these rules are preventing you from buying . That the rules are loading the dice in favour of big bad investors and watch the uproar

Slava Ukrainii

Yes they will and if they do not all you have to do is ring Joe Duffy with you sob story how these rules are preventing you from buying . That the rules are loading the dice in favour of big bad investors and watch the uproar

No they will not!
    A mortgage company will not give me a mortgage to buy a property unless I'm taking vacant possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Here’s David McWilliams arguing yet again for a site value tax in the IT on Saturday:
    ..Ireland is the least populated country in western Europe, yet we have among the highest land prices. It’s a stitch-up. It is really that simple. To be sure, there are issues with housing delivery, planning and finance, but the critical issue is not only the cost of land but the perception of that land as an asset. If you treat land as sacrosanct, elevating it above the interests of people, you will get a system that hoards land and exploits people, forcing employees and entrepreneurs to pay over the odds for homes, funnelling more and more money into the pockets of landowners.

...We could fix this with a site value tax, which penalises land that is left unused and encourages development on land. It was first suggested by Henry George in one of the bestselling books ever.

...George suggested a new tax, called a site value tax (SVT). The concept is quite simple. The value of any given site is derived from two components – the land on which it lies and what you decide to build on it. A SVT is a charge on the unimproved value of land – that is, the total value less the value of whatever capital has been built on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-tax-unused-land-and-the-housing-market-will-be-sorted-1.4584239?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fdavid-mcwilliams-tax-unused-land-and-the-housing-market-will-be-sorted-1.4584239

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Apple have set their stall out on wfh and its quite firm on the requirement for a more office based than wfh approach.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-staff-to-return-to-office-three-days-per-week-from-september-1.4583501

Cyrus wrote: »
    Apple have set their stall out on wfh and its quite firm on the requirement for a more office based than wfh approach.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-staff-to-return-to-office-three-days-per-week-from-september-1.4583501

There has already been a push back from employees on that, but as with everything it all depends on your role. If you work in customer support or as a coder you can easily work from home; on the other hand R&D folks will certainly have to be in the office to actually get most of their work done.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22491629/apple-employees-push-back-return-office-internal-letter-tim-cook

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

cnocbui wrote: »

Agree they're in line with what's going on internationally but not so sure about rises for years to come.

The rises since 2013 were never due to a crisis, but due to policy. The policy has been that price increases are good and to be encouraged and hopefully eventually houses will be so expensive that developers might actually build enough of them, and first time buyers can be subsidised to buy them.

I think that mindset is changing within the establishment. The ESRI is encouraging the government to borrow to build houses and also pointing out that millennials are worse of than their parents. "Respectable" columnists and commentators are saying the same thing.

I think the mindset and policies of the establishment on housing are changing. Maybe that's all part of the bigger state coming back into fashion internationally, maybe it's fear of a Sinn Fein Government, maybe it's both. Either way I think genuine action will be taken on housing soon, not the usual tweak here and there that we've seen over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

drogon. wrote: »
    There has already been a push back from employees on that, but as with everything it all depends on your role. If you work in customer support or as a coder you can easily work from home; on the other hand R&D folks will certainly have to be in the office to actually get most of their work done.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22491629/apple-employees-push-back-return-office-internal-letter-tim-cook

Let's see how they get on but it gives a decent idea of what employers think makes sense for their business rather than what employees think is good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

https://www.businesspost.ie/Planning/councils-collected-less-than-1-of-vacant-site-levies-bb3bacc9

Councils collected less than 1% of vacant site levies
    Of more than €21.5 million owed to local authorities across the country, a mere €21,000 was paid last year.

It's getting more and more difficult to even justify the existence of these entities anymore. A dysfunctional housing system but an evermore dysfunctional local government structure.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Let's see how they get on but it gives a decent idea of what employers think makes sense for their business rather than what employees think is good for them.

Apple is in an odd position too, since it was only few years ago that they finished building their new campus; which cost them $5 billion.

drogon. wrote: »
    Apple is in an odd position too, since it was only few years ago that they finished building their new campus; which cost them $5 billion.

...and isn't nearly big enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Villa05

Marius34 wrote:
    Don't think interest rates on it's own would negatively effect property price, at least in nominal value. Interest rates may be increased due to the inflation, and during inflation, property price (nominal) typically goes up.

If wages kept pace with inflation which would be questionable, workers would be significantly worse off due to the high marginal tax rate on wages

Interest rates would cool the jets of the investment funds also and they dictate price in high demand areas

growleaves wrote:

That kind of commentary has 06 written all over it

If owning us the luxury option, how come renting is the far more expensive option

Sustainability!

cnocbui wrote:

If it's a global issue the crash when it comes will be crashier to borrow a phrase from 08
    drogon. wrote:
    I really don't think anyone is pressuring anyone to buy property, simply rents are too high

The very definition of pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

I have read the latest news on US and EU to agree on uniform increase of corporate taxes globally.

Corroborate that with recent scandalous "news" of Microsoft Dublin branch paying ZERO tax of 400 billion profits in EU.

Can EU force Ireland give up on the current tax rates?

Could that drive US multinationals out of Ireland?

That would lower prices and rents dramatically in Dublin.... a bad news for a small investor....

ireland can have a 15% tax rate ..
    doesnt mean we have to collect it

combat14 wrote:
    ireland can have a 15% tax rate .. doesnt mean we have to collect it

Good point, but is it an effective minimum rate that is being pushed

IPAV look for CB to raise mortgage lending limits to 4.5 times salary citing their concern for soaring rents and pension pressures as people wont be able to retire with current high rent/low home ownership model as reasons to massively expand lending for houses .. of course this will only cause house prices to explode here

Earlier this year the Central Bank’s deputy governor Sharon Donnery said an analysis of the mortgage measures showed “house price levels could have been approximately 25pc higher” over the previous 12 months if the rules were not in place.

IPAV's take on massively increasing lending limits:

Under the existing mortgage rules, someone on an average wage of €45,000 can borrow a maximum of €157,500 assuming they already saved 10pc (€17,500) towards a deposit. They can buy a property up to a value of €175,000 — but there are few properties available at this level,” Mr Davitt wrote.

“If the Central Bank enabled those earning up to €28,000+ to borrow four-and-a-half times income, as opposed to the current three-and-a-half times gross salary, a person earning €45,000 could borrow €202,500 and with a salary of €50,000 one could borrow €225,000.”

so lovely .. now the person potentially ends up borrowing an extra 50k to buy the house as prices adjust upwards with new credit in the system... and where does it end they will be back 2 years later looking for 5.5 times salary limits!!

time to fix the real problem .. build more houses, limit immigration or encourage emigration....

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/buyers-need-mortgage-rules-tochangeso-they-can-afford-a-homecentral-bank-is-warned-40506651.html

combat14 wrote: »

That's fine, just so long as Revenue don't mind my holding back an equivalent percentage of the tax they usually expect me to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭theboringfox

IPAV look for CB to raise mortgage lending limits to 4.5 times salary citing their concern for soaring rents and pension pressures as people wont be able to retire with current high rent/low home ownership model as reasons to massively expand lending for houses .. of course this will only cause house prices to explode here

Earlier this year the Central Bank’s deputy governor Sharon Donnery said an analysis of the mortgage measures showed “house price levels could have been approximately 25pc higher” over the previous 12 months if the rules were not in place.

IPAV's take on massively increasing lending limits:

Under the existing mortgage rules, someone on an average wage of €45,000 can borrow a maximum of €157,500 assuming they already saved 10pc (€17,500) towards a deposit. They can buy a property up to a value of €175,000 — but there are few properties available at this level,” Mr Davitt wrote.

“If the Central Bank enabled those earning up to €28,000+ to borrow four-and-a-half times income, as opposed to the current three-and-a-half times gross salary, a person earning €45,000 could borrow €202,500 and with a salary of €50,000 one could borrow €225,000.”

so lovely .. now the person potentially ends up borrowing an extra 50k to buy the house as prices adjust upwards with new credit in the system... and where does it end they will be back 2 years later looking for 5.5 times salary limits!!

time to fix the real problem .. build more houses, limit immigration or encourage emigration....

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/buyers-need-mortgage-rules-tochangeso-they-can-afford-a-homecentral-bank-is-warned-40506651.html

Disgusting behaviour from IPAV. They know full well this would just drive demand and prices higher. Shameless bunch.

Well exactly, Ireland has a tax rate of 12.5% - But some multination companies could easily be paying 1% or 2% at the moment, once you add all the tax breaks they get.

Disgusting behaviour from IPAV. They know full well this would just drive demand and prices higher. Shameless bunch.

only have their own commissions in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thank you Bass Reeves!

I am a cash buyer in fact. The 8 % ROI also sounds appealing to me.

It is just I do not Balbriggan so well.

How does that town seem to you for a longer term investment.

The apartment is in a very good condition, 70 sq.m, a bit of sea view, parking space. Seems better of an option than buy to let in Ballymun or Citywest. The apartment may be appealing for families to rent. The current tenants will be there in any case, but just wondering in the longer run.

It is quite close to airport with all the jobs there etc.

id buy in one of the good parts of Finglas , rents are strong relative to purchase price , a three bed can be bought for circa 260 k and rents fetch circa 1800 for same house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That property was not available to anyone other than an investor. It has tenants in situ.

That was incorrect

That was incorrect.

And you are incorrect as well. Yes you have to give tenant required notice period. And as I said the mortgage lenders require higher deposits for apartments. In general they still require no higher than normal deposits from investors. The only difference in a BTL is a slightly higher interest rate. 40 years ago when buying a house as the legal process was protracted you had to go on bridging.

That apartment was buyable by single person on a decent income or a couple on below average incomes. Yes it was not straight forward but lenders would be flexible as I have always found. In large urban area there is psychological barriers to moving.

Traditionally people from larger urban area's were shielded from emigration and did not have to move to find work like people from the west f Ireland. I think this creates an issue with urban dwellers. there is no inalienable right to live and work where you grew up or next to your parents

a lot of properties with tenants in situ appear to be sold at auction but from what ive observed , the discount is not near big enough to offset the risk and job of removing tenants afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    id buy in one of the good parts of Finglas , rents are strong relative to purchase price , a three bed can be bought for circa 260 k and rents fetch circa 1800 for same house

That would make a good investment if you could sign one of those long-term lease agreements with the council. But, I think it's fair to assume that the current market rents in Dublin are now primarily dictated by what the Government is willing to pay out through HAP etc.

There was a landlord who wrote into the Irish Times last week and said the following:

"I am a landlord and I recently advertised a house for rent. I was looking for €2,750 and got a line of Hap applicants a mile long, all with €2,500 allowance from Dublin City Council. I was totally confused how someone on no income could afford to rent a €600k house."

That letter shows to me that even landlords are now questioning current rent levels and their sustainability.

How long before Pascal says stop, just because of its impact on Government spending going forward, especially as he didn't seem to have any real answers to the outcome of those G7 talks this weekend outside that it wouldn't be fair on Ireland etc. if the global tax reforms go against countries like Ireland.

There may be some serious discussions over the Summer on these payments and I think they may be stopped or they will find other solutions in the next couple of months.

Link to landlord letter to Irish Times here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/housing-crisis-i-do-not-really-know-what-i-am-saving-for-1.4576917

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Villa05 wrote: »
    Good point, but is it an effective minimum rate that is being pushed

It has to be on the effective rate otherwise it’s pointless. There are a number of EU countries with higher headline rates than Ireland’s but a lower effective rate. Ireland headline and effective rates are pretty much the same.

I said it would be 15% months ago because I was told that by the tax lawyers in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was incorrect

That was incorrect.

Its not incorrect. No bank will give you an owner occupier mortgage without vacant possession. A BTL mortgage has rather a lot different than interest rates

a lot of properties with tenants in situ appear to be sold at auction but from what ive observed , the discount is not near big enough to offset the risk and job of removing tenants afterwards

If you require the apartment for yourself there is no risk attached to removing tenants. It the one rules they cannot get around. As well at present tenants know that if you have to evict them and that they refuse they can forget about getting into another rental as any LL will look for a ref off previous LL

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you require the apartment for yourself there is no risk attached to removing tenants.

That's not even in the same timezone as accurate.

The risk is the tenant refuses to move out and you spend the next 2 years getting them out.

Agree...

However such is my budget, in cash btw.

Would you advise against Balbriggan as a place for buying to let?

• Advertisement
Advertisement