Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

Villa05 wrote: »
    That kind of commentary has 06 written all over it

If owning us the luxury option, how come renting is the far more expensive option

Sustainability!

If it's a global issue the crash when it comes will be crashier to borrow a phrase from 08

The very definition of pressure

I get same feeling as 07/08.
    If prices keep rising, society will be in trouble. I would not be surprised at a crash in a few years.
    Right now is very uncertain perhaps most uncertain times since WW2 so why do people think prices keep going up when global economy in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Maybe this is something stupid that I’m thinking. Recently bought a new build and have met many, many people that have told me that they’d NEVER buy a new build. Are we sure then that building more is the answer?

Maybe this is something stupid that I’m thinking. Recently bought a new build and have met many, many people that have told me that they’d NEVER buy a new build. Are we sure then that building more is the answer?

The obvious question is, why did so many people tell you they wouldn’t buy a new build?. I’ve lived in two, can’t say I had any issues, in fact, in both cases it was handy having builders on the site when we moved in, they were able to quickly rectify the small issues we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

That would make a good investment if you could sign one of those long-term lease agreements with the council. But, I think it's fair to assume that the current market rents in Dublin are now primarily dictated by what the Government is willing to pay out through HAP etc.

There was a landlord who wrote into the Irish Times last week and said the following:

"I am a landlord and I recently advertised a house for rent. I was looking for €2,750 and got a line of Hap applicants a mile long, all with €2,500 allowance from Dublin City Council. I was totally confused how someone on no income could afford to rent a €600k house."

That letter shows to me that even landlords are now questioning current rent levels and their sustainability.

How long before Pascal says stop, just because of its impact on Government spending going forward, especially as he didn't seem to have any real answers to the outcome of those G7 talks this weekend outside that it wouldn't be fair on Ireland etc. if the global tax reforms go against countries like Ireland.

There may be some serious discussions over the Summer on these payments and I think they may be stopped or they will find other solutions in the next couple of months.

Link to landlord letter to Irish Times here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/housing-crisis-i-do-not-really-know-what-i-am-saving-for-1.4576917

I’d be questioning the honesty of that post, especially as HAP max is supposed to be €1300:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

Not saying they’re aren’t exceptions but it’s shocking if it’s the norm to get €2500 towards the insane rent.

Dav010 wrote: »
    The obvious question is, why did so many people tell you they wouldn’t buy a new build?. I’ve lived in two, can’t say I had any issues, in fact, in both cases it was handy having builders on the site when we moved in, they were able to quickly rectify the small issues we had.

I agree, my previous purchase was a new build too in 2007. Just before the crash. They have different reasons, but a lot are afraid of the social housing element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Current market highlights typical Irish gouging and that famous phrase that a fool and his money is easily parted:

Example, walkinstown, a quasi-ghetto looking for a 21% price gouge in 2 months:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-5-limekiln-manor-limekiln-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3268442

Sold for €630k in 2019 and €655k in March 2021 (probably sale agreed in Jan/Feb) and now looking for 795k

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/?action=search&county=6&property_type=0&date_from=2010-01-01&date_to=2021-06-06&price_from=0&price_to=0&address=Limekiln+manor

If it sells, highlights first point.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

One really has to question, why would the council actually be buying commercial property in the first place ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-property-5459586-Jun2021/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Speaking of commercial, realised yesterday morning there are people living in an unused - and never occupied since it was built 10 years ago - commercial unit on my street that has the windows painted out. No idea how long they've been there.

Great country altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

Graham wrote: »
    That's not even in the same timezone as accurate.

The risk is the tenant refuses to move out and you spend the next 2 years getting them out.

How does one remove tenants “in situ?” I’ve often wondered when I’ve seen such properties for sale. Also if tenants haven’t been pay rent for a long time, how does the new owner get them out?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How does one remove tenants “in situ?” I’ve often wondered when I’ve seen such properties for sale. Also if tenants haven’t been pay rent for a long time, how does the new owner get them out?

RTB -> Court in what can be a long and expensive process if the tenants dig their heels in.

• Advertisement

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Current market highlights typical Irish gouging and that famous phrase that a fool and his money is easily parted:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-5-limekiln-manor-limekiln-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3268442

Sold for €630k in 2019 and €655k in March 2021 (probably sale agreed in Jan/Feb) and now looking for 795k

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/?action=search&county=6&property_type=0&date_from=2010-01-01&date_to=2021-06-06&price_from=0&price_to=0&address=Limekiln+manor

You are saying a seller should sell for less than the maximum someone is willing to pay? Why?

I agree, my previous purchase was a new build too in 2007. Just before the crash. They have different reasons, but a lot are afraid of the social housing element.

I'm not worried about social housing at all, but I would prefer not to buy a new build.
    No character, small gardens, no chimneys, awful lot of them have no front garden or driveway.
    Unless you build your own of course!

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not worried about social housing at all, but I would prefer not to buy a new build.
    No character, small gardens, no chimneys, awful lot of them have no front garden or driveway.
    Unless you build your own of course!

What gives a house its “character”? Not all gardens are small and not all second hand gardens are big. I suppose the lack of chimney is due to air tightening and the driveway it depends. I agree that most second hand houses will have driveways and chimneys, but I wouldn’t continue renting or stop buying a house due to those issues. For me, all the renovation involved in a second hand purchase would be horrendous. Different people, different opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I don’t think walkinstown is a “quasi ghetto”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Cyrus wrote: »
    Let's see how they get on but it gives a decent idea of what employers think makes sense for their business rather than what employees think is good for them.

Agree. If I knew it was taking my staff 1-2 hours per day to do their job, I'd want them to do more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

:rolleyes: notions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

drogon. wrote: »
    One really has to question, why would the council actually be buying commercial property in the first place ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-property-5459586-Jun2021/

To force the future sale and (at least hope to) return it from dereliction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

We noticed the house we viewed is located beside the water treatment plant.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/springhills-residence-on-c-18-5-acres-ballymore-eustace-kildare-w91-t8k0/4504390

Does anyone know if the water treatment plant in Ballymore Eustace is very smelly/ dangerous to health to live beside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Finally some movement on the Poolbeg site. In total it could be 3800 homes added to the Dublin 4 peninsula, essentially creating a new village. According to this post planning permission for the first few hundred apartments will be submitted in a few weeks.

I can't imagine planning permission will be hard to get given there is nothing at all in near the site though I suspect the Sandymount Nimbys will be out with their petitions and environmental impact studies, as is their habit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=555200&d=1623026099

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

What’s the potential for flooding in that Poolbeg development if climate change continues on its current trajectory?

Ardillaun wrote: »
    What’s the potential for flooding in that Poolbeg development if climate change continues on its current trajectory?

I'm sure the selfless and caring objectors will set it out in their reports.

The IT publishing an opinion piece from O'Broin today, calling for substantial public investment in housing and referring to the ESRI report which called for this last week. The government must have, a few weeks ago, realised that the public aren't going to give them a big pat on the back for handling covid as the anger and urgency in relation to the crisis has found its voice so easily.

It is a strange time since SF are gaining legitimacy because of the housing crisis. But again, great to see the momentum continue that something drastic needs to be done to force down rents and prices as well as dramatically increasing supply.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/eoin-%C3%B3-broin-our-dysfunctional-housing-system-can-be-fixed-1.4584570?mode=amp

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

The IT publishing an opinion piece from O'Broin today, calling for substantial public investment in housing and referring to the ESRI report which called for this last week. The government must have, a few weeks ago, realised that the public aren't going to give them a big pat on the back for handling covid as the anger and urgency in relation to the crisis has found its voice so easily.

It is a strange time since SF are gaining legitimacy because of the housing crisis. But again, great to see the momentum continue that something drastic needs to be done to force down rents and prices as well as dramatically increasing supply.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/eoin-%C3%B3-broin-our-dysfunctional-housing-system-can-be-fixed-1.4584570?mode=amp

<SNIP>

The whole tone from the Irish Times has changed from "oh sure isn't it just terrible, let's put it on the list of things to be fixed right after the health service and all the other apparently insurmountable problems in the country", to "no, this actually does need to be fixed now".

Jmc25 wrote: »
    The whole tone from the Irish Times has changed from "oh sure isn't it just terrible, let's put it on the list of things to be fixed right after the health service and all the other apparently insurmountable problems in the country", to "no, this actually does need to be fixed now".

It's no harm for them to start to cosy up to SF now as they'll be a paper representing the minority if they adopt the "SF are terrorists" trope and don't "wake up and smell the roses".

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A lot of these journalists are in their 30s. Could even be a later 20s hanging around there as well. Most likely they are experiencing exactly what many other 20s and 30s are, or most of their wider social circle are. Throw in a few socially liberal types in their 40s, I'd say there's a strong amount number of journies accepting this is not just a passing minor problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Anyone has any opinion on the new corporate tax decision? As far as I understand you now pay taxes in the country where you sell your goods and services and not where you have your HQ.

Just in case people don't know what I am talking about: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/explainer-g7-tax-deal-what-was-agreed-and-what-does-it-mean-for-ireland-1.4585696

So minimum Tax will be 15% which isn't the killer here if I understand it correctly.

Most large multinationals put their HQ's here because that allowed them to pay 12.5% even on goods sold outside of Ireland.

If this now changes there is no reason for multinationals to have all their HQ here. Let's face it Ireland is a very expensive country with high income tax rates so I am sure these companies could now find other countries to move their HQ's too.

Considering there are so many people here working for these multinationals this could turn into less jobs and the housing will free up if they leave.

Now this is all brand-new but as it can have such a huge impact on housing I figured I would mention it.

I’d be questioning the honesty of that post, especially as HAP max is supposed to be €1300:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

Not saying they’re aren’t exceptions but it’s shocking if it’s the norm to get €2500 towards the insane rent.

Homeless HAP rates are much higher. The usual for an adult and two children is €1950. However, HAP seem to regularly increase this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I'm sure the selfless and caring objectors will set it out in their reports.

I’ve no time for the nimbys but Sandymount is a prime candidate for future inundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

rh5555 wrote: »
    Anyone has any opinion on the new corporate tax decision? As far as I understand you now pay taxes in the country where you sell your goods and services and not where you have your HQ.

Just in case people don't know what I am talking about: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/explainer-g7-tax-deal-what-was-agreed-and-what-does-it-mean-for-ireland-1.4585696

So minimum Tax will be 15% which isn't the killer here if I understand it correctly.

Most large multinationals put their HQ's here because that allowed them to pay 12.5% even on goods sold outside of Ireland.

If this now changes there is no reason for multinationals to have all their HQ here. Let's face it Ireland is a very expensive country with high income tax rates so I am sure these companies could now find other countries to move their HQ's too.

Considering there are so many people here working for these multinationals this could turn into less jobs and the housing will free up if they leave.

Now this is all brand-new but as it can have such a huge impact on housing I figured I would mention it.

Honestly it will only have very little impact. Even though our corporate tax is 12.5%, vast majority of multinational companies don't pay close to that. They get various tax credits - as an example if you do any R&D work in Ireland, you get additional tax credit (25%) on any expenditure towards it - Once you add all this, the overall tax bill is a lot less.

I would easily see some large multinational companies paying as little as 1% or 2% tax a year over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I wonder once we get onto the tax harmonisation, we'll have a few years of prevarication around the tax credits countries are still implementing. Cue efforts to harmonize those blah de blah de blah, meanwhile 2030 will have come and gone.

The point I am making is this will linger on and on. Mind you with a bit of cop on we will have enough time to concentrate on the various infrastructure that needs building and upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

Cal4567 wrote: »
    I wonder once get onto the tax harmonisation, we'll have a few years of prevarication around the tax credits countries are still implementing. Cue efforts to harmonize those blah de blah de blah, meanwhile 2030 will have come and gone.

The point I am making is this will linger on and on. Mind you with a bit of cop on we will have enough time to concentrate on the various infrastructure that needs building and upgrading.
    A lot of it is hand waving with bigger countries citing Ireland's CTR while at the same time subsidising domestic champions with local tax breaks like France with electricity companies, Germany with auto makers and Spain with football clubs.

If they want a level playing field they're going to have to a lot of internal adjusting too. We're in the spotlight because we didn't have major industrial champions to uphold so our up front flat rate 12.5% was very attractive compared to the less opaque settings in the industrial nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Jmc25 wrote: »

It's because now it is affecting all social classes and not just the working class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    We noticed the house we viewed is located beside the water treatment plant.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/springhills-residence-on-c-18-5-acres-ballymore-eustace-kildare-w91-t8k0/4504390

Does anyone know if the water treatment plant in Ballymore Eustace is very smelly/ dangerous to health to live beside?

Go down there and spend some time on a reasonably warm day. Preferably with a light wind from the south. Or go door knocking on the neighbours and ask. I wouldn't be relying on a forum one way or the other.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

yagan wrote: »
    A lot of it is hand waving with bigger countries citing Ireland's CTR while at the same time subsidising domestic champions with local tax breaks like France with electricity companies, Germany with auto makers and Spain with football clubs.

If they want a level playing field they're going to have to a lot of internal adjusting too. We're in the spotlight because we didn't have major industrial champions to uphold so our up front flat rate 12.5% was very attractive compared to the less opaque settings in the industrial nations.

Don’t forget a lot of them have their little tax haven islands / statelets too, that they’re all going to try to ensure stay as close to current rates as possible.

Monaco, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, Jersey etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Villa05

rh5555 wrote:

Does appear to be a bit of bullying by powerful nations over smaller ones.

You have vat for collecting taxes where the business is done. I would assume there are alot of exporting nations that would be against these proposals

Appears to be using a chainsaw for a job made for a carving knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Does appear to be a bit of bullying by powerful nations over smaller ones.

You have vat for collecting taxes where the business is done. I would assume there are alot of exporting nations that would be against these proposals

Appears to be using a chainsaw for a job made for a carving knife.

Breaking news: cargo cultist incensed at proposal to reroute air corridor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

Germany urges EU to end individual state's veto rights

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0607/1226474-germany-veto-call/

interesting to see germany looking to end eu state veto rights - given that cyrpus and ireland may well use the veto to stop landslide future tax changes which will affect our states revenue and ultimately our ability to fund state house building projects - we will have to wait and see if there is much demand from other eu states for this german suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

combat14 wrote: »

interesting to see germany looking to end eu state veto rights - given that cyrpus and ireland may well use the veto to stop landslide future tax changes which will affect our states revenue and ultimately our ability to fund state house building projects - we will have to wait and see if there is much demand from other eu states for this german suggestion
    Alternatively like Germany and NZ did we could ban non residency funds bidding against ourselves for completed stock.

To link our hands off property management to our CTR doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

combat14 wrote: »

Germany is right. The reason is states like Hungary and Poland, principally, not Ireland. Clowns like Orban supporting Belarus are just too much. The UN security council serves no pupose due to the veto nonsense and it similarly cripples EU foreign policy inniitiatives.

combat14 wrote:
    interesting to see germany looking to end eu state veto rights - given that cyrpus and ireland may well use the veto to stop landslide future tax changes which will affect our states revenue and ultimately our ability to fund state house building projects

The state has taken in 15 billion in unforseen corporate taxes since 2016. More than enough to solve any housing supply issue

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the government' wanted to solve the issue. In that time it's been made significantly worse

We could have used that money to balance supply/ demand and significantly improve our competitiveness and reduce future outgoing on state subsidised rents that are leaving the country untaxed

A billion a year wasted on HAP every year and growing significantly

Embarrassing

• Advertisement

Peak bubble today in the IT. A garish, tone deaf article advertising the benefits of social housing investment, which isn't just for institutionals don't you know?

In short, free money and a no brainer of an investment! If offices and luxury apartments are the ghost estates of the 10s, this social housing junket is the equivalent of seminars for investing in Bulgaria in the 00s

It is just a question of when the bubble pops.

Some quite ridiculous quotes;

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/no-rent-rules-no-vacancies-it-s-social-housing-investment-1.4583121?mode=amp
    No rent rules, no vacancies: It’s social housing investment

No rent rules, no vacancies, potentially no property tax and many more benefits

With a social housing contract, rent rules don’t apply. This means that increases – even in properties situated in rent pressure zones – can be in excess of those prescribed by the rules, which is set at 4 per cent a year.

There is also typically no break clause in such agreements.

If you’re a private landlord, you must register each tenancy with the Residential Tenancy Board (RTB). This costs €90 per tenancy, with a late fee of €180. It is a legal requirement to do so. With a social housing agreement however, there is no requirement for such a registration.

When you become a landlord, the responsibility for the upkeep of that property is on you. With social housing however, it’s more of a hands-off situation as the local councils will be responsible for general upkeep.

With a social housing lease, while the unit may be empty as the local council or approved housing body has not found a tenant to occupy it, this won’t be an issue of yours. The lease agreement ensures that rent is paid regardless of occupancy, which means that there is no risk of vacancy for the landlord over the term of the contract.

With some landlords potentially facing increases in local property tax when homes are finally revalued for the first time in eight years later this year, investing in social housing can be a way around this.

If you’re a private landlord, having more units to rent may boost your overall income; but it won’t automatically result in increased rents. With a social housing lease however, this can be the case.

Peak bubble today in the IT. A garish, tone deaf article advertising the benefits of social housing investment, which isn't just for institutionals don't you know?

In short, free money and a no brainer of an investment! If offices and luxury apartments are the ghost estates of the 10s, this social housing junket is the equivalent of seminars for investing in Bulgaria in the 00s

It is just a question of when the bubble pops.

Some quite ridiculous quotes;

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/no-rent-rules-no-vacancies-it-s-social-housing-investment-1.4583121?mode=amp

I’m struggling to see your issue with this. Though the article is behind a paywall, the jist of it seems to be that there are benefits for investors in buying properties for social housing, which are then leased to local councils, thus providing access to social housing through private investment.

The Irish taxpayer - forever, the village idiot

Thanks prudent paschal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

i've changed my mind regarding Long term leasing to the council. I was about the rent to the council and made a complete u-turn after seeing the list of requirements from the council and thinking about my house been rented to people who may have social issues.
    Eventually i'm going for private market. There is always risk of bad tenants but from my experience from another property that I rent, a lot o bad tenancies can be prevented by doing all the checks before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

The state has taken in 15 billion in unforseen corporate taxes since 2016. More than enough to solve any housing supply issue

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the government' wanted to solve the issue. In that time it's been made significantly worse

We could have used that money to balance supply/ demand and significantly improve our competitiveness and reduce future outgoing on state subsidised rents that are leaving the country untaxed

A billion a year wasted on HAP every year and growing significantly

Embarrassing

As Clare TD, Michael McNamara, said over the weekend on the potential impact on the commercial and residential space in our cities from these global tax changes:

“Now, most multinationals, particularly in the tech sector, hire in from abroad. In the past year, many of those workers have been working from their homes all over the world. But for tax reasons, the tech corporations and Irish Revenue Commissioners all pretend they’re still in the empty office and apartment blocks in the Dockhands.“

There now appears to be a genuine fear from at least some TD's in relation to future multinational policy on where they will be able to allow these workers to work in the future. I guess we should know a bit more from September this year.

He also compared the ministers to acting like Comical Ali by adding the global tax reforms may impact our ability to keep borrowing in the future and how our artificial GDP figures makes our borrowing look sustainable:

"There’s much talk about a €2bn reduction in our tax take, and that this has been foreseen for some time. Another, potentially bigger problem will be the impact on our GDP figure which for several years has been inflated by profits channelled through Ireland for corporation tax reasons.”

Basically, he's saying that our borrowings only looks sustainable based on a GDP metric that is artificial and this can change significantly at very short notice.

There must be some serious discussions taking place at the moment on how expensive HAP, long-term lease etc. are and if there are viable alternatives. If there aren't serious discussions taking place, there's something seriously wrong at a higher government level.

Link to article in Irish Independent here: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/higher-taxes-in-other-areas-to-make-up-for-shortfall-in-corporation-tax-green-leader-eamon-ryan-admits-40507583.html

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m struggling to see your issue with this. Though the article is behind a paywall, the jist of it seems to be that there are benefits for investors in buying properties for social housing, which are then leased to local councils, thus providing access to social housing through private investment.

This is a bit naive. Long term leasing to the council provides income for 20 years plus and is "relatively risk free", the article is practically saying "free money". This is property we are talking about and the situation in Ireland is that we have an absolutely devastating, extreme emergency where a dramatic shift in government policy is necessary in order to cool it. Yet, apparently at the top of the market, with no where further to climb, the IT is claiming that individuals could invest in this "relatively risk free" investment with their pensions!

Yet, apparently at the top of the market, with no where further to climb, the IT is claiming that individuals could invest in this "relatively risk free" investment with their pensions!

Have you ever read the irish media and their continuous property pimping/advertising?

There is a good chunk of it (the IT being a fine example) who will tell you it is never ever a bad time to buy property. I would not trust anything these guys say.

Have you ever read the irish media and their continuous property pimping/advertising?

There is a good chunk of it (the IT being a fine example) who will tell you it is never ever a bad time to buy property. I would not trust anything these guys say.

The IT in 2005 advertising pre-construction apartments in St. Lucia!

?width=373&version=539442

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

The Fed think inflation is under control, here is a different take https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/07/deutsche-bank-warns-of-global-time-bomb-coming-due-to-rising-inflation.html

I think the greatest risk to Irish property prices is inflation leading to higher interest rates which, in turn, cools then depresses the market. That said, if you'd have asked me 16 months ago I would've said Covid would make the market go down 5-10% within 12 months, so I obviously know nothing.

• Advertisement

I think the greatest risk to Irish property prices is inflation leading to higher interest rates which, in turn, cools then depresses the market. That said, if you'd have asked me 16 months ago I would've said Covid would make the market go down 5-10% within 12 months, so I obviously know nothing.

At a time when we should be taking away the punch bowl, it appears that the party organisers are bringing in a tanker

Where it takes us. God knows

Advertisement