Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭yagan

Ozark707 wrote: »
    It shouldn’t be too hard you would think for the local authorities to determine the extent of empties.
    If every authority went door to door then collectively we'd have a national picture of property utilisation, or in other words an annual census.

Alternatively a basic annual council charge attached to an address would constantly show which units are unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

yagan wrote: »
    Aside from a census which last happened in 2016 how do we measure the number of empty units?

Many REIT's provide financial reports with number of properties, and vacancies, and profits, etc.
    Regarding Census, vacancy has a different meaning, from what many call property as an empty. Property could have been rented out, an in use only Monday to Friday, but vacant according to the Census.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd be interested to see how the timber frames thrown up between 2002 and 2008 are getting on now. There were loads of issues regarding soundproofing and dampness in the initial years. I suppose those issues can be remedied as snags are identified.

Timber can twist and rot. Light steel is where it is at now. People still building stud walls with timber frames, a child could build the metal stud walls it's so simple and quick.

Modular homes can be made in weeks, a crane can lift the pieces into place, windows and doors fitted, solar roof comes pre-built.

Guaranteed to last 60 years. Ya it won't be much use to your children but who cares you were able to buy a house for cash or a very modest mortgage.

If someone wants to build this at scale I'll put my money down tomorrow morning for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

In relation to all those points, I think they're probably explained by Michael Martin's statement a few weeks ago: "The big player in the housing market at the moment is the State".

How does that explain the queues of people for rental properties? The council are sending multiple people to stand in one queue? There’s another thread here where someone who is not on HAP can’t get a viewing or even a call back for any rental properties.

As usual you’re cherry picking information and selectively interpreting things to suit your world view.

javaboy wrote: »
    How does that explain the queues of people for rental properties? The council are sending multiple people to stand in one queue? There’s another thread here where someone who is not on HAP can’t get a viewing or even a call back for any rental properties.

As usual you’re cherry picking information and selectively interpreting things to suit your world view.
    There's also the matter of how the pandemic pausing rental turnover too. We could see the initial activity after reopening quieten down after a quarter.

I'm sure there's lot of couples who split up and some even came together because of the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Your comments about ‘rust’ brings up an entrenched view here about modular, which I have seen and heard also from within the construction industry.

Purpose built is increasing in scale across the rest of Europe, in fact some of the UK’s largest developers ae now estimating that their outputs will increase year on year in favour of more system built properties.

The industry here still favours wet trade construction, but I can see that changing. Really good modules now coming out of Scandinavia and other European countries as well.

Building to scale will be one of the advantages in terms of combatting costs.

No one could be more in favour of modular or factory built houses. I have had a long hard look at these for my future accommodation needs: https://www.coodo.com/

But the cost went from; grit your teeth, that might be doable, to; are you kidding me?

I ignored the prevailing wisdom and believing modern wood treatments must be good enough, built a Finnish kit garden office as a shed. The wood treatments - Sikens - turned out to be pants and it's rotting from the base up, largely due to the activity of slaters, I believe.

At my previous house, there was a large shed with an almost flat, shallow sloping steel sheeting roof. In winter, you could go inside and it was if it was raining inside, such was the rate of water dripping from the roof due to condensation. Cardboard boxes became soaking wet and collapsed.

My 'holiday home' is old. Every piece of steel or iron has rusted to a huge extent. The merest knick in galvanising and the thing will rust through fast.

So given the perpetually high humidity in this country and my experience of the practical side of steel and iron, I'm dubious about steel being a good building material for houses, unless all the steel can be kept relatively warm and dry.

I wouldn't have thought steel frame was as big a thing as structured wood - plywood. Someone near me has had a one-off 3 storey built in a very short space of time and I assume it was from an imported kit. It went up very fast and is made from structured wood with abundant vapour barriers topped with cladding. That method might work in this climate, but that would only be with a construction crew and labour that were not sloppy and paid attention to sealing every inadvertent tear and hole didn't take any short cuts. Getting German, Austrian Swiss building quality in this country is a tough ask, I think.

Years ago I went through researching wood options and the conclusion I came to was our climate is simply too damp to be taking a chance. I lived in England for a while where I observed a lot a wooden buildings that were hundreds of years old but it just wasn't as damp as Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Peak bubble stuff! €550k bargain buddy!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/property/dublin-budget-buddy-properties-can-20786805

It's peculiar that a rag like the Dublin Live media publication has a bargain buddy section where the "bargains" are €550k. I wouldn't have thought that was a bargain for its reader base...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Years ago I went through researching wood options and the conclusion I came to was our climate is simply too damp to be taking a chance. I lived in England for a while where I observed a lot a wooden buildings that were hundreds of years old but it just wasn't as damp as Ireland.

It's down to water droplet size in Ireland it makes presertive ineffective in wood. Where the outer leaf is block and good damp course management is in place then internal timber frame should be ok.

However there is not huge saving to using timber or modular frame housing. Most cost associated with housing is at second fix and fitting out a house.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Where did he say that? I think the last election highlighted how in touch Leo is with the reality of the housing situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-s-tax-rates-a-major-disincentive-for-remote-workers-says-varakdar-1.4591155

Said Ireland has to be attractive in non-financial ways in order to compete in the new remote working landscape, which is a pretty funny (albeit indirect) way of acknowledging that your country rips off its population.

He mentioned liveable cities as one advantage we have and availability of quality housing as another one. I'm at a loss as to what the hell he is talking about with these two points.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    No one could be more in favour of modular or factory built houses. I have had a long hard look at these for my future accommodation needs: https://www.coodo.com/

But the cost went from; grit your teeth, that might be doable, to; are you kidding me?

I ignored the prevailing wisdom and believing modern wood treatments must be good enough, built a Finnish kit garden office as a shed. The wood treatments - Sikens - turned out to be pants and it's rotting from the base up, largely due to the activity of slaters, I believe.

At my previous house, there was a large shed with an almost flat, shallow sloping steel sheeting roof. In winter, you could go inside and it was if it was raining inside, such was the rate of water dripping from the roof due to condensation. Cardboard boxes became soaking wet and collapsed.

My 'holiday home' is old. Every piece of steel or iron has rusted to a huge extent. The merest knick in galvanising and the thing will rust through fast.

So given the perpetually high humidity in this country and my experience of the practical side of steel and iron, I'm dubious about steel being a good building material for houses, unless all the steel can be kept relatively warm and dry.

I wouldn't have thought steel frame was as big a thing as structured wood - plywood. Someone near me has had a one-off 3 storey built in a very short space of time and I assume it was from an imported kit. It went up very fast and is made from structured wood with abundant vapour barriers topped with cladding. That method might work in this climate, but that would only be with a construction crew and labour that were not sloppy and paid attention to sealing every inadvertent tear and hole didn't take any short cuts. Getting German, Austrian Swiss building quality in this country is a tough ask, I think.

I wonder why exactly the Finnish kit didn't work..... My ex was Finnish and I spent a lot of time there, everyone had timber houses.
    It is winter, pretty much, for 7 months of the year! When the ice and snow go, around end of April, they have 'summer ' for 5 month-ish! The whole country is full of lakes, there are mosquitoes everywhere, not to mention lakes, absolutely everywhere! It's damp/humid.
    How can their houses not work here?
    Their weather is not that different, apart from being frozen more.
    I would love a Finland house here, I loved their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

Peak bubble stuff! €550k bargain buddy!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/property/dublin-budget-buddy-properties-can-20786805

It's peculiar that a rag like the Dublin Live media publication has a bargain buddy section where the "bargains" are €550k. I wouldn't have thought that was a bargain for its reader base...

Yes and I wonder if any 1 bed terrace even if it is in Ranelagh is worth €525,000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Villa05

bubblypop wrote:
    I wonder why exactly the Finnish kit didn't work..... My ex was Finnish and I spent a lot of time there, everyone had timber houses. It is winter, pretty much, for 7 months of the year! When the ice and snow go, around end of April, they have 'summer ' for 5 month-ish! The whole country is full of lakes, there are mosquitoes everywhere, not to mention lakes, absolutely everywhere! It's damp/humid. How can their houses not work here? Their weather is not that different, apart from being frozen more. I would love a Finland house here, I loved their houses.

The surveyor claiming passive 3 bed houses for under 160k was sourcing from Finland

Will link the article later as its fairly detailed on how the cost savings are achieved. His first house was built 40 years ago and is in perfect condition today. Im sure Clare would be good barometer for how it would hold up to Irish weather

Villa05 wrote: »
    The surveyor claiming passive 3 bed houses for under 160k was sourcing from Finland

Will link the article later as its fairly detailed on how the cost savings are achieved. His first house was built 40 years ago and is in perfect condition today. Im sure Clare would be good barometer for how it would hold up to Irish weather
    I'd be curious too. I've worked with Swedes who'd say that even though it can get so cold they can skate to work they felt a lot colder in Ireland because of the humidity.

From what I remember timber needs a lot more upkeep in Ireland as a result, the once a decade recoating in Scandinavia becomes a biannual affair here.

Anyway it's really only an attractive option if you're gifted a site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,963 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finland has not massively dissimilar humidity - lower in summer, little higher in winter - than East coast locations here.

However, change that comparison to the West coast and its much, much less humid. And the wood system build products are often being suggested for damp sites in the more humid counties; so definitely not suitable there.

L1011 wrote: »
    Finland has not massively dissimilar humidity - lower in summer, little higher in winter - than East coast locations here.

However, change that comparison to the West coast and its much, much less humid. And the wood system build products are often being suggested for damp sites in the more humid counties; so definitely not suitable there.

Why though?
    I'm not sure, having spent a lot of time in Finland, all year round, I don't understand why their houses cannot work here?
    It's not so different?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why though?
    I'm not sure, having spent a lot of time in Finland, all year round, I don't understand why their houses cannot work here?
    It's not so different?

The West Coast is significantly wetter (humidity) which rots wood quicker, even with the chemical treatments used.

Most of these cheap system build systems are not suitable for high density sites like those we need in the slightly drier bits of the country.

The West Coast is significantly wetter (humidity) which rots wood quicker, even with the chemical treatments used.

Most of these cheap system build systems are not suitable for high density sites like those we need in the slightly drier bits of the country.

But Finland is not significantly different in humidity, in fact, I would say the humidity in Finland is higher in summer then Ireland.
    And it is freezing/frozen for months, we don't have that?

But Finland is not significantly different in humidity, in fact, I would say the humidity in Finland is higher in summer then Ireland.

It's lower and significantly lower in summer. Houses here don't get any time to dry out

Freezing doesn't push moisture in to wood.

Wooden houses here either rot or need continual, expensive upkeep that an average home owner will baulk at or just not do.

• Advertisement

It's lower and significantly lower in summer. Houses here don't get any time to dry out.

Is i though?
    I have spent a lot of time there, to me, it's more humid in summer. They have a huge amount of inland water there.
    They do get rain, not as much as the West of Ireland obviously, but it's pretty humid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Balluba wrote: »
    Yes and I wonder if any 1 bed terrace even if it is in Ranelagh is worth €525,000?

I know well where that house is. I'm fairly sure that I looked at purchasing it back in the day and discounted it due to the condition it once was in. Best of luck to the person selling, it certainly is overpriced but it will be sold for close to asking, of that I'm sure.

Is i though?
    I have spent a lot of time there, to me, it's more humid in summer. They have a huge amount of inland water there.
    They do get rain, not as much as the West of Ireland obviously, but it's pretty humid.

It is. Humidity is a relative calculation to temperature, remember - the figure is the % of the possible water vapour in air at that temperature

Note the significantly less humid summer

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,Helsinki,Finland

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,galway,Ireland

People have tried these types of buildings here - its not like its being written off without trying.

It is. Humidity is a relative calculation to temperature, remember - the figure is the % of the possible water vapour in air at that temperature

Note the significantly less humid summer

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,Helsinki,Finland

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,galway,Ireland

People have tried these types of buildings here - its not like its being written off without trying.

Those tables don't seem so different?
    And the annual humidity is 80 v 83% ?
    I don't see a big difference here?

Those tables don't seem so different?
    And the annual humidity is 80 v 83% ?
    I don't see a big difference here?

I wonder if the extreme cold kills off slaters , which seem the main problem in my case? -20-30 we just don't get.

I wonder if the extreme cold kills off slaters , which seem the main problem in my case? -20-30 we just don't get.

What is a slater?

• Advertisement

What is a slater?

Woodlice

Woodlice

Horrible little feckers!
    But I hate months and butterflies waaaaay more :)

I wrote a bit about this earlier in this thread. Wood is totally unsuitable as an external building material. It's down to droplet size. If you ever were in a shower of rain in France, Australia or Florida you would have noticed the difference in rain drop size.

If you travel around England you will see houses that are 500 years old still in use in the UK. We were ruled by them for 800 years so did they never build such houses here. In Nantucket Island I saw a small hut/ house 300+ years old. Why in a country where on certain of our ground timber can grow twice as fast as anywhere in Europe did we not build timber houses with all its insulation properties compared to stone.

Presertives work by preventing water egressing into the timber. Because of droplet size presertives fail at this in the Irish climate. Different wood technologies have failed. I got a hen ark that were of Swedish design that last 50+ years it lasted 10 years in Ireland.

It is not just wood, if you were ever on holidays in many parts of the world years ago you have seen the one coin phone boxes. In a lot of the world these phones could be kept under canopy's in Ireland we used a fully enclosed box. When these phones moved to an electronic type the phone struggled to be maintained by in the system.

Telephone and ESB poles are pressure treated with cresote one of the best presertives in the world yet these poles struggle to reach much with 50 years in Ireland.

Water moves through materials by capillary action. Droplet size in Ireland is much smaller that elsewhere in the world. It's this that allows water to travel through wood. Presertives fail to stop the egress of water into wood because of the nature of the moisture in Ireland

Slava Ukrainii

Yes it's a method used in furniture restoration. The piece of furniture is stripped back and put in a special cold room that takes temperature down to -40C I think for 48 hours. This kills the wood live

Slava Ukrainii

Telephone and ESB poles are pressure treated with cresote one of the best presertives in the world yet these poles struggle to reach much with 50 years in Ireland.

The Best Goes to the West !
    Low labor qualification or none
    Low control of regulations or none
    The main problem in Ireland at the time time was low income to build the house not the size of the rain drop
    That why many houses are the shelters and has nothing to do with quality in UK were best Irish lads was building houses by UK standards .
    The pols not reach much with 50 years ? The only country in Europe were poles are left is probably Ireland.Even in poorest post communism countries cables are under ground !
    I am carpenter by trade and spent most time on Irish building sites in 2004-2006.Belive me I see plenty in those years ! I would cut the hands of some guys who was building houses before and after that !

• Advertisement

The Best Goes to the West !
    Low labor qualification or none
    Low control of regulations or none
    The main problem in Ireland at the time time was low income to build the house not the size of the rain drop
    That why many houses are the shelters and has nothing to do with quality in UK were best Irish lads was building houses by UK standards .
    The pols not reach much with 50 years ? The only country in Europe were poles are left is probably Ireland.Even in poorest post communism countries cables are under ground !
    I am carpenter by trade and spent most time on Irish building sites in 2004-2006.Belive me I see plenty in those years ! I would cut the hands to some guys who was building houses before and after that !

So why have you houses build of wood in parts of the UK mostly in England and in a lot in Europe that are 3-500 years old but not in Ireland. They use wooden structures in Agriculture right in parts of the world but not in Ireland. In Sydney on Elizabeth farm is a wood house build before 1800.

So the English who used wood to build houses and sheds right accross the world did not use wood in Ireland which was covered in the f@@king thing until it was cut down to mainly make charcoal.

Paddy who worked in the construction sectors right accross the world was I capable of using it in Ireland.

It has nothing to do with skillset it has everything to doo with moisture.

Slava Ukrainii

So why have you houses build of wood in parts of the UK mostly in England and in a lot in Europe that are 3-500 years old but not in Ireland. They use wooden structures in Agriculture right in parts of the world but not in Ireland. In Sydney on Elizabeth farm is a wood house build before 1800.

So the English who used wood to build houses and sheds right accross the world did not use wood in Ireland which was covered in the f@@king thing until it was cut down to mainly make charcoal.

Paddy who worked in the construction sectors right accross the world was I capable of using it in Ireland.

It has nothing to do with skillset it has everything to doo with moisture.

From my point of view why wood in Ireland wasnt used as in UK
    The forest owners was British
    Powerty
    Skills and technologies shortage
    If there was built any in Ireland they simply was burned to the ground during English colonisation and build from stone was quicker and more safe.

From my point of view why wood in Ireland wasnt used as in UK
    The forest owners was British
    Powerty
    Skills and technologies shortage
    If there was built any in Ireland they simply was burned to the ground during English colonisation and build from stone was quicker and more safe.
    That doesn't bare out. While wood was being used in England the Tudor era mansions of Ireland were stone and examples of them are found all over Ireland, some intact like Rothe house in Kilkenny. Behind the modern facades of Kilkenny there's reportedly 55 stone mansions from the 1500s still intact.

Just to clarify that even those aligned to the English crown in Ireland and who would have overseen the exportation of timber used stone for a reason, our climate. Even in the gaelic revival period before the Tudor plantations stone was the favoured material while England continued with timber.

Kilmallock in Co Limerick has some nice examples of that era on the main street too, but all over Ireland there's many stone mansions half a millennium old hiding in plain view.

Ordinances throughout the kingdoms after the great fire of London finally saw the banning of timber construction in cities which is where brick becomes the dominant material.

For more humble homes a course of stone with a wattle and daub walls would have been common. There's still a lot of centuries old examples still standing along coastal areas of Dublin and Meath, the driest parts of Ireland.

This is a tangent to the main discussion of course, but ultimately the materials used is secondary to the mismanagement of land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I wrote a bit about this earlier in this thread. Wood is totally unsuitable as an external building material. It's down to droplet size. If you ever were in a shower of rain in France, Australia or Florida you would have noticed the difference in rain drop size.

If you travel around England you will see houses that are 500 years old still in use in the UK. We were ruled by them for 800 years so did they never build such houses here. In Nantucket Island I saw a small hut/ house 300+ years old. Why in a country where on certain of our ground timber can grow twice as fast as anywhere in Europe did we not build timber houses with all its insulation properties compared to stone.

Presertives work by preventing water egressing into the timber. Because of droplet size presertives fail at this in the Irish climate. Different wood technologies have failed. I got a hen ark that were of Swedish design that last 50+ years it lasted 10 years in Ireland.

It is not just wood, if you were ever on holidays in many parts of the world years ago you have seen the one coin phone boxes. In a lot of the world these phones could be kept under canopy's in Ireland we used a fully enclosed box. When these phones moved to an electronic type the phone struggled to be maintained by in the system.

Water moves through materials by capillary action. Droplet size in Ireland is much smaller that elsewhere in the world. It's this that allows water to travel through wood. Presertives fail to stop the egress of water into wood because of the nature of the moisture in Ireland

Do you have a source. I saw your previous post, tried to follow it up but found nothing....

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Do you have a source. I saw your previous post, tried to follow it up but found nothing....

It was a combination of issue,people and things that I came accross that gave me an understanding of it.

It was a radio frequency engineer that explained part of it to me. It was to do with the non availability of different frequency . While over a year they might all be the same higher frequency systems( I think around 20gighz systems) are more prone to interference with smaller sized raindrops which we can encounter in Ireland.

It was a lad that puts presertive in stakes explained that we need to put more preservation material in timber in Ireland to achieve a 15+ years lifespan in Ireland. I was asking him why the Swedish presertives did not work in Ireland but did in the UK. He said the moisture in Ireland has smaller droplets.

If you Google water droplet size I think they can vary from O.001mm to O.05mm in size. Rain varirs from 0.5mm to 4mm in size. My understanding is that Ireland has lower droplet and rain size compared to most other countries

Slava Ukrainii

It was a combination of issue,people and things that I came accross that gave me an understanding of it.

It was a radio frequency engineer that explained part of it to me. It was to do with the non availability of different frequency . While over a year they might all be the same higher frequency systems( I think around 20gighz systems) are more prone to interference with smaller sized raindrops which we can encounter in Ireland.

It was a lad that puts presertive in stakes explained that we need to put more preservation material in timber in Ireland to achieve a 15+ years lifespan in Ireland. I was asking him why the Swedish presertives did not work in Ireland but did in the UK. He said the moisture in Ireland has smaller droplets.

If you Google water droplet size I think they can vary from O.001mm to O.05mm in size. Rain varirs from 0.5mm to 4mm in size. My understanding is that Ireland has lower droplet and rain size compared to most other countries

I am in carpentry since I was 12 years old and I spent 3 years in college which I finished as carpenter/joiner
    The biggest mess in building industry I ever see in my life was Ireland
    Nobody care about wetness of the wood or building process rules
    You have 1 day to build the house and 1 hour to sell it ! That was the main rule on building sites in Ireland in 2004-2006.
    I came back to building industry in 2015 and I did not found much changes there.
    When you keep dry wood without any preservatives in it under open sky no matter what size of drops falling on it.
    The main wood supply in Ireland is import.Nobody know were its coming from could be even Cernobyl in Ukraine nobody know what preservatives in it.
    The wood takes as much it can take.When there is water already the wood will take less preservatives because water filled wood already.
    In my country the guy with wetness measuring device was checking wood on gate of the factory.Once wood was wet the all load was sent back to supplier
    In Ireland if price is right and you getting it fast no matter how much water in wood.
    I have 2 Irish mates who bought wood log houses from Lithuania which been delivered and fitted by teams of those factories.One house 2 beds are 4 years old and cost 26K the other 3 beds cost 50 K with curtains on windows included about 3 years old .Lets say to early speak about the quality yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Well I sincerely hope it pops in NZ, but I don't hold out much hope.

I've just bought a house in Auckland so I hope it doesn't

Timmyr wrote: »

Perfectly understandable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Any photos, i'll let you know if it was worth it or not:pac:

James 007 wrote: »
    Any photos, i'll let you know if it was worth it or not:pac:

haha it's not finished yet, hope to be in it by the end of the year

• Advertisement

But sure why would it matter?
    You bought a house, presumably to live in it, doesn't matter what happens to the market if you are happy to live in the House

But sure why would it matter?
    You bought a house, presumably to live in it, doesn't matter what happens to the market if you are happy to live in the House

Live in it for 3-5 years then rent it out and buy another, at least thats the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Interesting article in the Irish Times today with some FF members of Dublin City Council opposing the re-zoning of a 106 acre site in Finglas from light industrial to residential.

This along with the Office of the Planning Regulator (the Housing Minister is also FF) recently telling DLR county council that they can't build more than c. 2,200 residential units per year out to 2028, where exactly does FF believe all these new built homes we apparently require to be built to meet supply over the next ten years be built?

It's also interesting that one FF councilor said:

"I'm not opposed to housing. I want to see housing developed but I just don’t see what the rush is".

Link to Finglas re-zoning article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/finglas-rezoning-proposal-in-doubt-over-council-opposition-1.4592437

Link to DLR re-zoning article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-rathdown-told-to-scale-back-housing-plans-1.4546039

Interesting article in the Irish Times today with some FF members of Dublin City Council opposing the re-zoning of a 106 acre site in Finglas from light industrial to residential.

This along with the Office of the Planning Regulator (the Housing Minister is also FF) recently telling DLR county council that they can't build more than c. 2,200 residential units per year out to 2028, where exactly does FF believe all these new built homes we apparently require to be built to meet supply over the next ten years be built?

It's also interesting that one FF councilor said:

"I'm not opposed to housing. I want to see housing developed but I just don’t see what the rush is".

Link to Finglas re-zoning article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/finglas-rezoning-proposal-in-doubt-over-council-opposition-1.4592437

Link to DLR re-zoning article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-rathdown-told-to-scale-back-housing-plans-1.4546039

I would be shocked if there weren't connections and vested interests puppeteering the objecting councillors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Villa05

Would it be fair to say that SF oppose housing developments mainly on a value for money for the taxpayer basis and mot enough social/affordable or affordable that is too expensive while other parties oppose on the basis of local nimbyism.

Not trying to promote one over another just trying to establish facts as on the late debate last Thursday Ff continually accused SF of opposing many developments

Villa05 wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that SF oppose housing developments mainly on a value for money for the taxpayer basis and mot enough social/affordable or affordable that is too expensive while other parties oppose on the basis of local nimbyism.

Not trying to promote one over another just trying to establish facts as on the late debate last Thursday Ff continually accused SF of opposing many developments

Well, at least we now know one of the reasons for some FF councillors objecting. It's because some don't see what the "rush" is. As the FF councillor, Keith Connolly, said:

"I just don’t see what the rush is."

More shocking, horrific news on the activities of institutionals in the property sector. This deserves outrage and hysteria in the media. Vampire squids at GS evading tax with some assistance from Dublin based law and accounting teams.

https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/goldman-sachs-irish-property-funds-paid-no-tax-on-390m-income-1.4592273?mode=amp
    Goldman Sachs Irish property funds paid no tax on €390m income

Three so-called “vulture funds” affiliated with Goldman Sachs collected €390 million from their portfolios of Irish distressed property loans in 2019 but incurred no corporation tax charges.

Beltany Property Finance, Ennis Property Finance and Liffey Acquisitions, which owns Kenmare Property Finance, owned loans valued on their books at a combined total of €507.6 million at the end of the year, according to accounts filed in recent days for the three funds. The headline, or gross, value of those loans was listed at more than €766 million.

Despite the market value of many of the underlying properties having increased significantly since the first purchases were made in 2014, as the market boomed, all three funds record huge shareholder deficits on the balance sheet, as a result of the complex financing arrangements and loan notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

Bank of Ireland have announced that their threshold for negative interest rates on savings will be reduced to €1 million with an annual interest rate of 0.65%. In that event a saver with 1 million on deposit will owe €6,500 to BOI annual interest. Negative interest rates are now certain it is just a matter of how low the banks will set the threshold. All of us will be affected.
    Surely this will make property even a more attractive investment??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Would be very interesting to see what the equivalent numbers for Ireland would look like - "Renting now cheaper than buying a home"

"It is cheaper to rent a property than it is to buy a home for the first time in more than six years, says Hamptons.

Research by the estate agency suggests that before the pandemic began in March 2020, people buying with a 10% deposit would have been better off than renters by £102 a month.

But last month, it found the average private sector tenant was better off, spending £71 a month less in rent.

There are now only four areas in the UK where it is cheaper to buy than rent."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57464534

• Advertisement

Balluba wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland have announced that their threshold for negative interest rates on savings will be reduced to €1 million with an annual interest rate of 0.65%. In that event a saver with 1 million on deposit will owe €6,500 to BOI annual interest. Negative interest rates are now certain it is just a matter of how low the banks will set the threshold. All of us will be affected.
    Surely this will make property even a more attractive investment??

I think that would depend on a persons viewpoint on where they believe house prices are heading. If they can increase by 10% in a year, they can also fall by 10% in a year. If rents can double, they can also make similar movements in the opposite direction.

At least the cash in the bank won't make such a capital loss or fluctuate up or down at such levels.

Advertisement