Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

cnocbui wrote: »
    REITs are not 'necessary' for funding of blocks of apartments, though. Almost all those built in 2019 were self funded by the builders with the REITs only swooping in at completion and buying the finished product as a job lot before they could be offered to the general public.

I never said they were necessary, just that they had a place. We do need rental units built too and an institutional landlord has the capacity to do this more efficiently than an individual one. For the most part, these apartments are generally built to be sold as a big block to an institutional investor to rent them out, not to individual owners (they are even designed with different, less stringent regulations and standards than owner-occupied apartments have to be).

If designed to be built for rentals, and they end up being bought by an investor for rentals, I generally think this is fine. What I don't think is fine is taking owner-occupier homes out of the market at a time when there is already far more demand than supply for people buying homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

enricoh wrote: »
    Iirc the average salary in Nama is over 100k, once they keep each other in a job they are doing great!

When people wonder why we're falling down the corruption index stuff like this is so blatant!

557220.png

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I maintain that interest rate rises are the biggest threat to economies around the world & house prices here. I see a few posters are confident there's no bubble and prices still have a way to go (up). I think a lot depends on how transitory this inflation really is.

https://www.ft.com/content/b664c3a0-7b59-48a6-83ef-3a4fe5f2f9ea

1% rise in interest rates and the housing market substantially cools. 3% for untold pain. 6% and your life will become the The Dawn of Man scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I maintain that interest rate rises are the biggest threat to economies around the world & house prices here. I see a few posters are confident there's no bubble and prices still have a way to go (up). I think a lot depends on how transitory this inflation really is.

1% rise in interest rates and the housing market substantially cools. 3% for untold pain. 6% and your life will become the The Dawn of Man scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey. ;-)

It highly depends on inflation. if interest rates goes 1%, but inflation increase as well by 1 percent, it would unlikely to cool the market. Same for 3%

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭hometruths

Marius34 wrote: »
    It highly depends on inflation. if interest rates goes 1%, but inflation increase as well by 1 percent, it would unlikely to cool the market. Same for 3%

I'm not sure it works like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

schmittel wrote: »
    I'm not sure it works like that.

Yeah it really doesn't.

Currently a 300k mortgage with 2.5% interest has repayment of 1185
    Put that interest up to 4.5% repayment is 1520.
    Thats a 30% increase in repayment, that will cool the market even if there is a significant increase in inflation.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Yeah it really doesn't.

Currently a 300k mortgage with 2.5% interest has repayment of 1185
    Put that interest up to 4.5% repayment is 1520.
    Thats a 30% increase in repayment, that will cool the market even if there is a significant increase in inflation.

That's what we may want to believe how it works, to keep optimism. But history tells it otherwise. Inflation has higher correlation to price increase, than interest rates, in its nominal value.

That's what we may want to believe how it works, to keep optimism. But history tells it otherwise. Inflation has higher correlation to price increase, than interest rates, in its nominal value.

And when was the last time in history we saw a scenario that might fit with the statement: "if interest rates goes 1%, but inflation increase as well by 1 percent"

I think history tells us that we are more likely to see a scenario whereby the interest rate rise outpaces the inflation - that's kind of the point.

And cruizers point is very valid. IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

And when was the last time in history we saw a scenario that might fit with the statement: "if interest rates goes 1%, but inflation increase as well by 1 percent"

I think history tells us that we are more likely to see a scenario whereby the interest rate rise outpaces the inflation - that's kind of the point.

And cruizers point is very valid. IMHO.

In the past (recent history) have we seen interest rises by 1% in 1 go? Would it not usually be smaller increments?

Hubertj wrote: »
    In the past (recent history) have we seen interest rises by 1% in 1 go? Would it not usually be smaller increments?

For sure I think interest rate increases would normally be smaller increments. There's no doubt if they jumped 1% in one go it would cool the market!

I didn't really understand Marius' interest rate/inflation analysis to be honest, but I've always understood that if CBs are using rising interest rates to control inflation, the base rate tends to be higher than the inflation figure. Certainly historical rates would indicate that.

I suppose the problem now is interest rates are so low, that if inflation meaningfully overshoots 2% what can the CBs do? They are hardly likely to raise them to 3% overnight, but it seems likely that small increments would come thick and fast.

That's presumably why the mere hint of any sort of interest rate rise spooks markets. If the trend turns, it will turn fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Before covid, interest rates needed to rise to cool the asset bubble as the post-08 QE served its purpose years ago but for some reason was continued despite evidence economies were recovering. Covid has accelerated QE and therefore the need to raise interest rates. Reading about house prices increasing in the US and UK at the fastest levels since the 00s the past year blows out of the water any argument that inflation is somehow temporary (surely a year of explosive house price growth is not transitory for the purpose of inflation). As economies reopen over the next 6 months, many people have cash and little debt which means they would pay higher prices for the same pre-covid goods and services - most of us already see our haircuts and pints have gone up noticeably in price. It is going to roar on, for sure. Unemployment is being kept artificially high from covid restrictions in order to justify the line that more QE is needed to help the economy.

The economy and its components seems to be like a seesaw, with the central banks trying to balance it (with policy such as QE/bond buying and interest rates) rather than having it go up and down constantly. However, the central banks have actually engineered a situation where one side, the public and real economy, is being weighed down with massive debt while the other side, assets such as stocks and house prices, is sky high. The efforts at balancing have actually created an imbalance with the seesaw, some would say intentionally, however it now means the central banks have a choice to try to cool the imbalance with their (arguably limited) tools such as interest rate rises or let it run and hope it balances out again. They appear to be aiming for the latter at the moment.

To not raise interest rates is to loot from savers and pensions in order to enrich asset holders. Raising interest rates by a meaningful amount will do a great service to correcting asset values.

For sure I think interest rate increases would normally be smaller increments. There's no doubt if they jumped 1% in one go it would cool the market!

I didn't really understand Marius' interest rate/inflation analysis to be honest, but I've always understood that if CBs are using rising interest rates to control inflation, the base rate tends to be higher than the inflation figure. Certainly historical rates would indicate that.

I suppose the problem now is interest rates are so low, that if inflation meaningfully overshoots 2% what can the CBs do? They are hardly likely to raise them to 3% overnight, but it seems likely that small increments would come thick and fast.

That's presumably why the mere hint of any sort of interest rate rise spooks markets. If the trend turns, it will turn fast.

The point is that interest rates will be raisin, if there is higher inflation. And inflation in itself has positive impact on property price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

C14N wrote: »
    I never said they were necessary, just that they had a place. We do need rental units built too and an institutional landlord has the capacity to do this more efficiently than an individual one. For the most part, these apartments are generally built to be sold as a big block to an institutional investor to rent them out, not to individual owners (they are even designed with different, less stringent regulations and standards than owner-occupied apartments have to be).

If designed to be built for rentals, and they end up being bought by an investor for rentals, I generally think this is fine. What I don't think is fine is taking owner-occupier homes out of the market at a time when there is already far more demand than supply for people buying homes.

My guess is that we have an excess of rental units at the moment.

The point is that interest rates will be raisin, if there is higher inflation. And inflation in itself has positive impact on property price.

Yes I understood in the first instance that was what you were saying.

What I didn't really get was how if interest rates were raised by 3% and inflation was 3% that it would not cool the market.

Can you talk me through how that works?

Yes I understood in the first instance that was what you were saying.

What I didn't really get was how if interest rates were raised by 3% and inflation was 3% that it would not cool the market.

Can you talk me through how that works?

When there is inflation people are more concern that their money will devalue, as well as their mortgage over time, thus they are more willing to risk in investment for long term.

When there is inflation people are more concern that their money will devalue, as well as their mortgage over time, thus they are more willing to risk in investment for long term.

Yes I understand that theory. But we're talking about countering the inflation with an equal rise in interest rates.

I guess what I don't understand is the idea that if inflation is 3% and interest rates rise by 3% then it means the inflationary effect on price will be greater than the effect of the increased cost of borrowing.

Could you explain how this works? To me it seems like the interest rate rise would have a far greater effect on prices.

Or as you said:

What does this mean? If this is proven historically, do you have a link where I can learn more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Remember that a 0.25% rise would have the same impact as 1% rise on a higher rate like 5%.

I am still not convinced it will cool the housing market directly as the yield on property will still attract investors compared to bonds etc.

Yes I understand that theory. But we're talking about countering the inflation with an equal rise in interest rates.

I guess what I don't understand is the idea that if inflation is 3% and interest rates rise by 3% then it means the inflationary effect on price will be greater than the effect of the increased cost of borrowing.

Could you explain how this works? To me it seems like the interest rate rise would have a far greater effect on prices.

Or as you said:

What does this mean? If this is proven historically, do you have a link where I can learn more?

It wouldn't be first time if interest rates move higher than inflation, that doesn't mean of likelihood result of property price decrease.
    It's difficult to evaluate how exact numbers could work, but the larger inflation over the time the higher money devaluation, the higher chance of income increase. In Irelands case, there is lots of savings, there is LTI limits.
    With increase of income, it increase the ability to borrow,
    with increase of material cost, construction cost increase as well,
    with the worry of holding cash in saving for devaluation, more money could move to property.

not sure about the link, maybe this one written about correlation (I'm not saying it's high correlation, but with higher inflation you could expect prices to go up over few years)
    https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/correlation-inflation-houses.asp

It wouldn't be first time if interest rates move higher than inflation, that doesn't mean of likelihood result of property price decrease.
    It's difficult to evaluate how exact numbers could work, but the larger inflation over the time the higher money devaluation, the higher chance of income increase. In Irelands case, there is lots of savings, there is LTI limits.
    With increase of income, it increase the ability to borrow,
    with increase of material cost, construction cost increase as well,
    with the worry of holding cash in saving for devaluation, more money could move to property.

not sure about the link, maybe this one written about correlation (I'm not saying it's high correlation, but with higher inflation you could expect prices to go up over few years)
    https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/correlation-inflation-houses.asp

Once again it seems the goalposts have shifted. That link talks about the correlation between house prices and inflation. Nobody is disputing that.

It doesn't come close to explaining this:

If that's the best link you can find to explain this apparently historically proven phenomenon, then we'd best leave the discussion there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

so how high will house prices go here before they pop again leaving a big fat mess - any thoughts :)

Once again it seems the goalposts have shifted. That link talks about the correlation between house prices and inflation. Nobody is disputing that.

It doesn't come close to explaining this:

If that's the best link you can find to explain this apparently historically proven phenomenon, then we'd best leave the discussion there.

I don't have the proof, and I'm not going to waste time to look for it, as there is no point to provide it, my main point was towards inflation impact anyway. You rely on data you like, and reject you don't like anyway. There were already official reports stating of lack of housing construction, or low vacancy in Dublin, all those reports you reject anyway, you need better proof and recalculations when statements doesn't suit you.
    I see there is no need of any proof if someone says that if/when there is increase in interest rates it will cause prices to fall.
    I think it's fair to say, that we don't know how interest rates will impact the property price.

combat14 wrote: »
    so how high will house prices go here before they pop again leaving a big fat mess - any thoughts :)

nobody knows, nor anybody can tell if there will be a crash over 20% in the next decade or more.

So we’ve gone from you telling another poster he is just posting what he wants to believe, and pompously saying “history tells it otherwise” to:
    I don't have the proof, and I'm not going to waste time to look for it, as there is no point to provide it

Maybe don’t invent “facts” if you don’t want to be asked for proof of them.

So we’ve gone from you telling another poster he is just posting what he wants to believe, and pompously saying “history tells it otherwise” to:

Maybe don’t invent “facts” if you don’t want to be asked for proof of them.

ok, it's not a fact, as I don't have prove if there is any correlation of interest rate impact on property price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

New rules on rents now increases to be linked to inflation rather than the current 4%

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0701/1232340-government-rent-measures/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Villa05

combat14 wrote:
    so how high will house prices go here before they pop again leaving a big fat mess - any thoughts

No idea, but the level of inflation we are currently seeing with the impact of shared ownership later in the year to add to that will speed up the process

High rents/prices plus wfh appear to be pulling people away from high demand areas. This pushes up prices in other areas. Affordability issues are easier to resolve when they are confined to specific areas. The window for resolving the issue is closing.

The fuse for the bomb has been lit. How long it is can be very hard to determine but double digit price inflation should shorten that fuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

It seems Ireland are not the only one experiencing double digit price (15.2% YOY) increases and lack of supply issues the U.S are the same. Also these are actual prices I think the last daft report was for asking and Irish prices were a fair bit under 15.2%

https://www.noradarealestate.com/blog/housing-market-predictions/

fliball123 wrote:
    It seems Ireland are not the only one experiencing double digit price (15.2% YOY) increases and lack of supply issues the U.S are the same. Also these are actual prices I think the last daft report was for asking and Irish prices were a fair bit under 15.2%

The consensus appears to be that sales prices are considerably above asking.

With regard to the US I'd imagine there wouldn't be a long delay between actual sale and that sale appearing on the register like there is here

Villa05 wrote: »
    The consensus appears to be that sales prices are considerably above asking.

With regard to the US I'd imagine there wouldn't be a long delay between actual sale and that sale appearing on the register like there is here

Yeah I agree, but it puts to bed that its just the Irish market that is heating up

"More than half (56 per cent) of respondents to Threshold’s Tenant Sentiment Survey 2021 said they rent because they are unable to buy their own home. A further 12 per cent said they rent because they cannot access social housing.

The majority of those renting by choice were aged between 18 and 24 years old, with 43 per cent of renters in this cohort saying they do so by choice.

However, the majority of 25 to 34-year-olds (55 per cent), 35 to 44-year-olds (68 per cent) and 45 to 54-year-olds (50 per cent) said that they rent because they are unable to buy their own home.

No respondents over the age of 54 stated that they rent by choice."

source: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/just-one-quarter-renting-by-choice-in-ireland-survey-finds-1150098.html

Based on the above there is a lot of Pent up demand for affordable housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

"More than half (56 per cent) of respondents to Threshold’s Tenant Sentiment Survey 2021 said they rent because they are unable to buy their own home. A further 12 per cent said they rent because they cannot access social housing.

The majority of those renting by choice were aged between 18 and 24 years old, with 43 per cent of renters in this cohort saying they do so by choice.

However, the majority of 25 to 34-year-olds (55 per cent), 35 to 44-year-olds (68 per cent) and 45 to 54-year-olds (50 per cent) said that they rent because they are unable to buy their own home.

source: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/just-one-quarter-renting-by-choice-in-ireland-survey-finds-1150098.html

It's why the investors cannot be taken seriously when they say that the only reason places are getting funding is because the funds are there to buy them in bulk. It's gaslighting, nonsense. The demand is there, maybe not for €500k 2 bed apartments but for affordable, non bubble priced properties!

And not much demand for houses at current prices.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am not sure how you deduce that from this article.

The article would imply there are people renting because they cannot currently afford to buy, or they are unable to find suitable property to buy. This does not mean there is not much demand at current prices.

If anything, it implies the exact opposite. Demand is strong enough to prevent prices dropping, which continues to price these people out of the market.

From percentage wise it appears the biggest demands are between renters of 35-44. The real problem with this age group, that if they don't manage to buy home before 45 or so, their chance of getting mortgage and acquiring property are closing.

Competitiveness is taking a hit with the high housing costs, 2 articles just today highlighting the same, this would be fine if we didn't have the existential threat of the OECD's upcoming tax changes

Canadian firms' Irish expansion 'hampered' by high costs

ICBA said the housing crisis is “a key area of concern”, with 85% of its members of the view that the Government is not doing enough to support their staff in the current housing market. Most Canadian firms want further Government interventions to boost housing supply and affordability here.

ICBA members include Air Canada, Shopify, PressReader, TD Bank, Bank of Montreal and the Canadian-owned Irish Life.

Cost of living makes Dublin less attractive for remote workers

However, it scored low for the cost of living, coming in at 68 out of 75 cities, and 64 out of 75 cities for the price of home office room rent, meaning home office space is less affordable than most other cities.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40326038.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40326065.html

awec wrote: »
    I am not sure how you deduce that from this article.

The article would imply there are people renting because they cannot currently afford to buy, or they are unable to find suitable property to buy. This does not mean there is not much demand at current prices.

If anything, it implies the exact opposite. Demand is strong enough to prevent prices dropping, which continues to price these people out of the market.

Fair enough, it would have been more accurate to say whilst there is a lot of pent up demand for affordable housing, there is not much pent up demand at current prices.

Fair enough, it would have been more accurate to say whilst there is a lot of pent up demand for affordable housing, there is not much pent up demand at current prices.

If there wasn’t pent up demand at current prices we would not be seeing people outbidding each other and prices rising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

From percentage wise it appears the biggest demands are between renters of 35-44. The real problem with this age group, that if they don't manage to buy home before 45 or so, their chance of getting mortgage and acquiring property are closing.

A lot of that age group had an opportunity to buy during the property crash. Many choose not to as renting was cheaper and they taught prices would keep on going down. The recovery and it strength caught a lot of them, they expected a second crash straight away......they still think this will happen.

Until supply is sorted prices will hold or stay rising

Slava Ukrainii

Competitiveness is taking a hit with the high housing costs, 2 articles just today highlighting the same, this would be fine if we didn't have the existential threat of the OECD's upcoming tax changes

Canadian firms' Irish expansion 'hampered' by high costs

Cost of living makes Dublin less attractive for remote workers

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40326038.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40326065.html

AmCham have been banging on about this for a couple of years… difficult to fix when you have dopes telling dopes to sort it out.

If there wasn’t pent up demand at current prices we would not be seeing people outbidding each other and prices rising

Ok, if there is pent up demand at current prices presumably that majority of that demand is the rental sector.

As per the threshold survey:

Only 48% of renters are in full time work.
    Just over half, 54% of respondents were over the age of 34. Largest cohort at 36% were 35-44.
    The majority - 58% - earn between €20,001 and €35,000. Only 6% earn above 45,000.

These stats point very clearly to the fact that it is a small minority of renters who can afford to buy a home at current prices.

If the vast majority of renters cannot afford to buy at current prices then there is not much pent up demand at current prices.

Sure the minority of renters who can afford to buy are currently bidding away against investors and the state, which is why we are seeing prices rise now.

But prices rising now are not an indication of large amounts of pent up demand.

Totally agree with your first comment that the Threshold survey shows a huge volume of pent demand for affordable housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

This is kind of tautological. The actual price is the equilibrium price; it increases in response to the demand. There's really never going to be "pent up" demand at an actual current price, unless the government puts price ceilings or something in place. The demand at the "current price" will basically always be satisfied, because whoever wants to buy at that price can buy at that price. Demand for a 3-bed house in Dublin at €600k is mostly satisfied, because mostly anyone who demands it can have it.

There will also always be significant demand for pretty much anything at prices far below market rates (and any housing that could be called "affordable" with a straight face is currently going to be sold at far lower than the market rate). In this case, many people who would like to buy 3-bed house in Dublin at €300k are unsatisfied, because this theoretical affordable house is way below the market rate.

Ok, if there is pent up demand at current prices presumably that majority of that demand is the rental sector.

As per the threshold survey:

Only 48% of renters are in full time work.
    Just over half, 54% of respondents were over the age of 34. Largest cohort at 36% were 35-44.
    The majority - 58% - earn between €20,001 and €35,000. Only 6% earn above 45,000.

These stats point very clearly to the fact that it is a small minority of renters who can afford to buy a home at current prices.

If the vast majority of renters cannot afford to buy at current prices then there is not much pent up demand at current prices.

Sure the minority of renters who can afford to buy are currently bidding away against investors and the state, which is why we are seeing prices rise now.

But prices rising now are not an indication of large amounts of pent up demand.

Totally agree with your first comment that the Threshold survey shows a huge volume of pent demand for affordable housing.

This would make sense if isolated, you need to look at drawdown and mortgage approval figures. There is still a lot of demand out there at current prices stating anything else is false

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/mortgage-market-buoyant-as-drawdowns-and-approvals-rise-1.4550316

fliball123 wrote: »
    This would make sense if isolated, you need to look at drawdown and mortgage approval figures. There is still a lot of demand out there at current prices stating anything else is false

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/mortgage-market-buoyant-as-drawdowns-and-approvals-rise-1.4550316

Ok lets look in conjunction with mortgage figures.

Just over 9000 new mortgages drawn down in first quarter, 52% of them FTBs, approx 4,500, which are presumably the ones coming from the rental sector.

Lets say that is currently 18,000 per annum

Just shy of 300,000 tenancies in the private rental sector, and if Threshold survey is representative only a very small number of those can afford current prices.

18,000 out of 300,000 is 6%.

Interestingly only 6% of renters earn above 45,000.

Ok lets look in conjunction with mortgage figures.

Just over 9000 new mortgages drawn down in first quarter, 52% of them FTBs, approx 4,500, which are presumably the ones coming from the rental sector.

Lets say that is currently 18,000 per annum

Just shy of 300,000 tenancies in the private rental sector, and if Threshold survey is representative only a very small number of those can afford current prices.

18,000 out of 300,000 is 6%.

Interestingly only 6% of renters earn above 45,000.

Yet year on year its an increase in draw downs and mortgage approvals. You can spin this anyway you like facts are facts more people are drawing down and getting mortgage approval then this time last year. No need to use other comparisons just use whats in front of you. This all with a 13% price increase in property. If people are looking to find the top of the market (sellers) I would keep an eye on this ratio of how much price increases start slowing and when mortgage approvals and draw down start dropping in numbers. The fact that it increased would suggest prices will continue going up for the forseeable

schmittel wrote:

It seems odd that a state claiming affordable housing is its number 1 priority would be selling those apartments in Finglas at affordable prices to most likely investment funds whose objective would be to substantially increase the value of those same apartments.

Every way you turn, you just see madness

fliball123 wrote: »
    Yet year on year its an increase in draw downs and mortgage approvals. You can spin this anyway you like facts are facts more people are drawing down and getting mortgage approval then this time last year. No need to use other comparisons just use whats in front of you. This all with a 13% price increase in property. If people are looking to find the top of the market (sellers) I would keep an eye on this ratio of how much price increases start slowing and when mortgage approvals and draw down start dropping in numbers. The fact that it increased would suggest prices will continue going up for the forseeable

Fair enough you don't agree with my conclusions from the facts, but are you able to explain why instead of just accusing me of spinning the facts?

Or at the very least how exactly I am spinning this?

Villa05 wrote: »
    It seems odd that a state claiming affordable housing is its number 1 priority would be selling those apartments in Finglas at affordable prices to most likely investment funds whose objective would be to substantially increase the value of those same apartments.

Every way you turn, you just see madness

And the investment funds will most likely increase the value by leasing them back to the state for social housing.

Totally bonkers.

fliball123 wrote:
    Yeah I agree, but it puts to bed that its just the Irish market that is heating up

Agreed but you do understand that 15% inflation in an essential product/service is extremely damaging and far from what we would describe as a healthy market.

Children's and the unborn futures as well as the kitchen sink we're thrown to the market when they were falling at that rate
    I wonder what the response will be when the problem is at the other end of the scale

And the investment funds will most likely increase the value by leasing them back to the state for social housing.

Totally bonkers.

Are these the same units mentioned in this piece?

A Block of 58 Social Homes, Empty for Years

But blocks 2 and 2A, which contain 58 homes arranged in an L-shape on one side of a landscaped plaza, are silent – and empty.

Yet these 58 homes are supposed to be social housing. Over the last few years, council officials have regularly said they’ll soon be ready for families to move into, but the timeline has retreated again, and again, and again.

“Every couple of months we’re told it’s going to be ready, it’s going to be ready,” says Sinn Féin Councillor Anthony Connaghan. “And it’s not ready.”

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/03/13/a-block-of-58-social-homes-empty-for-years

• Advertisement

Are these the same units mentioned in this piece?

A Block of 58 Social Homes, Empty for Years

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/03/13/a-block-of-58-social-homes-empty-for-years

Look the same…. It was definitely prospect hill. Mad stuff altogether. How difficult is it to get an apartment ready? Will anyone in the council be held accountable? No, salary increases instead.

Advertisement