Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

1811812813814815817»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It wouldn't be necessary if the state had not caused house prices to soar. Indeed, the scheme is inflationary by nature as it is injecting more money into a market already awash with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think lack of supply is the main reason house prices have soared.

Yeah, I agree the scheme may be slightly inflationary, but without the scheme & even if homes were slightly cheaper, the young FTBs wouldnt be able to afford them anyway.

Better a house costs 400k with the FTB scheme and younger people can buy it than the same house costs 380k and young people cant purchase because they dont have the deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

A lack of supply is merely the other side of a surplus of demand. The state's policies have massively inflated demand for housing whilst simultaneously flooding the market with cash, deliberately I would add.. They may have done some things to bring more supply to the market, but it has never been enough. Indeed, I'm of the opinion that the supply of housing here cannot ever meet demand as things stand.

That said, I do accept your point. Given the choice, I would take part in the scheme if the other option were to be homeless or to rent.

Advertisement