Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting backpacks

Options
  • 14-05-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Hi all I was wondering if anyone is using backpacks with frames? I've got a couple permissions where it's very much leave the car and walk a mile or two and shoot and I am debating trying to get a backpack with a frame for taking deer or kid goat back down to the car instead of dragging
    Has anyone here used a backpack with a frame for a similar reason and any reccomendations? Thanks!
    My idea btw was to gut , skin and quarter on the hill and bring it back down that way on the pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

I pack out sika most of the time. No need to 1/4. Just too and tail them, strap to the pack, and away you go. You'll be surprised how much you can carry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I was using an ex army Bergen style back pack without a frame. They are do-able but don't give support with heavy loads.

I now use the same design as this (not sure it's the same make) and find it very good. Easy to adjust to body dimensions etc and good load bearing abilities.

553028.jpg

Some lads customise them with small pouches or the lid off an old Bergen / back pack. I use a couple of tie down straps and a light weight ratchet strap along with a large dry bag. My mate carried out a 6 pointer Sika on it one day (you shoot it you carry it)
    You'll get them from the likes of this place, but shop around and you'll get a deal on postage.

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/ferrino-alu-frame/137320396/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=9530921&country=ie&gclid=CjwKCAjwv_iEBhASEiwARoemvBcaTMoYjPnk8eJDie1tv6u25RgSQb-I9abP7skgBDpDfJwm6XSGPBoCAM8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi most of my ground is hill stalking and I use kifaru framepacks there not cheap but no problem to backpack 2 sika hinds out

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi most of my ground is hill stalking and I use kifaru framepacks there not cheap but no problem to backpack 2 sika hinds out

Fair play, I'd normally carry one and drag the other, don't think I could carry two Hinds. I shoot a good few Hybrids and they can weigh quite a bit. I took a large hybrid stag last year and had to process it twice on the hillside. The first time I quartered it and trimmed off the main carcass and after having an 'ohh sh1t' moment I had to unpack the quarters and bone them out too and repack it. I managed to struggle back to the car with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi I bought a vorn backpack deer model for single meat hunts i deboned 2 hinds near the end of the season with rifle attached I had 42 kg in backpack found it not to bad 3 km pack out I used pillow cases to store the meat I had the cooler box in the jeep no waste when home

• Advertisement

IKEA is your friend..... cheep cotton pillow cases perfect as game bags. I use them for feather and fur.

Trick for ye, in case ye didn't know- soak the bags, or any material in cold water before washing. Its better for removing blood stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whole sika dressed and skinned wouldn't be more than about 40-50kg, I think its worth packing them out whole if you can, less the skin, leave the ticks on the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Richard308

I bring a canvass sheet, kind of waxed finished. Just gralloch the animal. Place in the sheet, zip tie the ends. Horse shoe shape over the shoulder and fireman’s lift to hike it out. Find it better than packs as the centre of gravity is more central, better on lower back. Plus sheet is easily cleaned with cold water. Ticks can’t climb all over you either as carcass is rolled in snug and overlapped. As for distance hiking, never more than a kilometre or two from the car. If any further a decision is made, take the shot or not,is the venison worth the hardship or will I come back the next evening. As the saying is “the fun is over once you pull the trigger”

Advertisement