Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re: new EBS account opening?

• 14-05-2021 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I walked into Liffey St branch a month ago and asked to open a new current account.

The staff there took a copy of my passport, utility bill and asked me to write down my email, phone number and PPS number on the back of a random transaction slip for the previous customer.

Then he told me that I should just wait till they contact me, which hasn’t happened yet. It’s been a whole month.

Is this the normal way of opening an account in EBS? Has anyone successfully opened a current account in EBS recently?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's been a month, have you followed it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Sam W

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It's been a month, have you followed it up?

I don’t really care whether they came back. I sent out an email and filled in my details on their callback form, but nothing happened yet. I just wanted to know whether this is EBS’s way of opening a new account? I had opened accounts with all major banks in Ireland and none of them require a callback and a second visit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sam W wrote: »
    I don’t really care whether they came back. I sent out an email and filled in my details on their callback form, but nothing happened yet. I just wanted to know whether this is EBS’s way of opening a new account? I had opened accounts with all major banks in Ireland and none of them require a callback and a second visit.

It's frankly a bit odd that you'd ask that here.

Why not contact the EBS and ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

I know UB changed years ago to appointment only opening of current accounts, you couldn't just open one on the spot. Current accounts can have overdrafts so are considered differently to just opening savings accounts and I think most banks do credit check etc for them which you don't have for savings account.

Also if you manage to get someone in for the 'appointment' there is often an element of a fact find about it to see what else you might need in their opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Sam W

So I called their head office today, and was told that all current account opening should be operating as normal, and they don't understand what's going on in local branches.

I then called into Liffey St and found out that they just misplaced my 'application' and nobody really tended to it. They now booked me a date in June to open the account...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Sam W wrote: »
    So I called their head office today, and was told that all current account opening should be operating as normal, and they don't understand what's going on in local branches.

I then called into Liffey St and found out that they just misplaced my 'application' and nobody really tended to it. They now booked me a date in June to open the account...

Well worth sticking with it to get it open because it's FREE.

Advertisement