Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from contract to a permanent role - tricky clause

Options
  • 14-05-2021 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I've been working in a role as a contractor for the last few months and have been recently offered the same role as a permanent employee.

My contract is for 1 year through a recruitment agent, and it has a 1 month notice period to exit which is fine; however, there is a clause in my contract which states that I can't work for the same end client within 12 months of finishing my contract with them.

At the time of signing, I queried as to whether this was applicable should a permanent role arise, and the response (verbally) from the agent was that they would simply seek a fee should such a scenario arise.

Now that a permanent role has been offered, I'm not sure what is best to do. Simply ignore and hope that nothing arises, or attempt to negotiate at a risk that the offer for a permanent role falls through.

Any opinions/experiences are welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is normal and a reasonable requirement. Almost certainly the agency and the employer will have an agreement on this, so I would not worry too much about it.

Mention it to the employer and I expect they will be fully aware of it and be able to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is normal and a reasonable requirement. Almost certainly the agency and the employer will have an agreement on this, so I would not worry too much about it.

Mention it to the employer and I expect they will be fully aware of it and be able to put your mind at ease.

Hi OP,

Yes in on this, so I currently supply staff to a large global tech companies on 11 month contracts. We have in their contracts they're not allowed to coordinate a direct employment relationship with the client. However if they wish to make a candidate permanent they can do so via us, it's no problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Just take the job and let the employer sort it out.

Advertisement