Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Foundation series

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Sorry I am spit balling here I had trouble with the shield to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

SPOILERS BELOW!!! I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO ADD SPOILER TAG WHEN ON BOARDS.IE ON THIS DEVICE

In regards to movies and series, an adaptation from or inspired by a book is pretty much the same thing. And change is a part of adaptation.

you are probably much further along in the show than I so see more of of the changes.

I did take a brief look at (but didn’t read) your spoiler to see what it was about.

it would fairly obvious to readers of the books (even without it being called the Vault) that the object is the Seldon Vault - I reserve judgment on this change until I see it in use but am guessing it will be revealed that Hari simply didn’t want the colony to fawning over it so kept its purpose a secret. However the fact that the characters name it the Vault is a gaping plot hole in the series - how can they possibly know that the object is storing something (unless there is another meaning of vault that I’m not aware of).

what I mean by leaps in science is for example Asimov had atomic power as the core power source of the galaxy - the series can update that to some other kind of science that people are working on or theorising about. More is none about lining in space now than Asimov knew about.

I did notice that they have given future Foundation technology to the Empire - I’m guessing that they’ll show the Foundation’s scientific superiority in future seasons some smother way.

if I had read the books when I was younger I might be a lot more critical of the show now but I don’t have a strong attachment to them and do look in each for it’s own merit.

Post edited by Nody on

A personal shield would require the power source to be with the individual according to the books. That is why only the Foundtaion had those type of shields.

i’m only three episodes in so no spoilers or such please but I want to know if I’m correct about this - that there has been no mention of Second Foundation in the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

No mention of the second foundation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just some hints that they are going to balls that up too :)

Not necessarily.

Seldon in both book and shows keeps secrets from his followers.

it is possible that the shows creators want to keep the Second Foundation as a surprise for people who have not read the book - reveal it at a vital moment in a future season. In-universe it could be that Hari did want them supporting each you are not

the Seldon trial and the exile of his supporters (in other words the establishment of The Foundation was - as I recollect - not known to the public

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think you need to catch up. That's not what I meant.

I don’t understand - that was your reply to me asking if the show had mentioned a Second Foundation.

what else could it be about?

I wasn't complaining about it not being mentioned. They have hinted that some characters have certain abilities particularly in the latest episode.

• Advertisement

I’m confused.

The question you quoted is about whether or not Second Foundation has been mentioned and your reply doesn’t mention anything else and is phrased as a direct answer.

Gaal and Salvor do seem to be born with Seldon related magical abilities. I don’t want them to have superpowers but am waiting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I’m watching it now and finding it completely addictive, I haven’t read the books but will definitely take a look at them after the series finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TV series was okay. Anyone spot that library from Trantor College Dublin?

I’m on the third book.

I really like the entire story of the series and the world building but honestly I’m just not enjoying reading it.

The characters are paper thin, the all speak the same way, and it is written the same way I would write a story (and that is no compliment.

It is no surprise that the Apple+ show has taken just the basic concept and character/planet names.

I doubt I will read the prequel trilogy next. I have had a longing to re-read the Philip Marlowe series - will probably go there next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Be prepared to be completely puzzled. TV series are "updated" to reflect current state of affairs like gender equality which make it completely different experience.

Also if they would try to go more "by the books" there would have to be different actors say every two episodes. With exception of maybe 2 lead characters which was not really tried before and could be interesting to watch mainly for the people who read the books. Your typical TV series viewers like familiarity so it was "adapted" to reflect this.

My own subjective take is that even though I liked the TV show, it was something completely different from the original Asimov's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I have been meaning to re read the books but think I will watch the TV series first, pretty doubtful about it as it doesn't seem like it would translate that well but on the flip side the books I remember being frustrating at times as well. Basically that an all knowing genius isn't actually that interesting

The Apple series is fantastic and I recommend watching it.

and I recommend watching it as “it’s own thing” regardless of whether you like the books or not. As you say the books wouldn’t translate well and the basic concept and some character names are the only connection - there is an element of the show that I don’t like* but it isn’t the kind of thing that would put me off and maybe they are headed somewhere interesting with it

* that Gaal and Salvore are mutants. It would be more interesting if Gaal, as she says to Hari “studied her ass off” and that Salvore equally earned her place. I also don’t like that they are mother and daughter but Salvore being older and more experienced in life might be fun

I haven’t picked up book three in weeks. As I said I like the story but the writing isn’t great -

Advertisement