Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not getting notifications of Gmail messages?

• 14-05-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all, would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, tried googling it but still not working for me.

About 2 months ago my Gmail app wasn't working so I wasn't getting emails through on my Galaxy S9. Apparently it affected a lot of Gmail users on Android for a couple of days. Since then, it hasnt been working 100% for me. I have to go into my Gmail app throughout the day and manually refresh the screen to get the new messages up. Whereas before, my phone would alert me whenever a new email came in as soon as it was sent. Any idea how could fix this?

Thanks! Phone is only 5 months old if that is any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hi all, would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, tried googling it but still not working for me.

About 2 months ago my Gmail app wasn't working so I wasn't getting emails through on my Galaxy S9. Apparently it affected a lot of Gmail users on Android for a couple of days. Since then, it hasnt been working 100% for me. I have to go into my Gmail app throughout the day and manually refresh the screen to get the new messages up. Whereas before, my phone would alert me whenever a new email came in as soon as it was sent. Any idea how could fix this?

Thanks! Phone is only 5 months old if that is any help.

If you go to your Gmail app

Go to settings in the side menu

If you have more than one gmail address linked it will show General Settings and then your email addresses.

Click on general settings
    Then Manage Notifications - this will give you options for notifications:

Notify for every message
    Make Sound
    Select different sounds for different email addresses etc

Hope it's the same on your phone as mine at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

As well as notification, check sync frequency is set to the required interval, if it's set as NEVER, then manual refresh is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

lucalux wrote: »
    If you go to your Gmail app

Go to settings in the side menu

If you have more than one gmail address linked it will show General Settings and then your email addresses.

Click on general settings
    Then Manage Notifications - this will give you options for notifications:

Notify for every message
    Make Sound
    Select different sounds for different email addresses etc

Hope it's the same on your phone as mine at least

I think I tried that, but it was no good. Will try again and report back, thanks!

I think I tried that, but it was no good. Will try again and report back, thanks!

Ten Pin has the more relevant solution I think: making sure Gmail is syncing!

Gmail App>General Settings>(your Email account)>Data Usage>Sync Gmail

That's how it appears for me anyway, hope it works for you I had the same thing happen to me last year

Ten Pin has the more relevant solution I think: making sure Gmail is syncing!

Gmail App>General Settings>(your Email account)>Data Usage>Sync Gmail

That's how it appears for me anyway, hope it works for you I had the same thing happen to me last year

Thank you, I tried this also and didnt seem to work. But I did find something online that you dont have battery optimisation on for Gmail. Tried that now so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Just an update, the battry optimisation setting for Gmail seems to have worked, all emails are now coming in on time and with notification tone. Although every email in my personal account is now marked as "important" (with the little yellow tab on it). Just a small annoyance so hopefully that is easily fixed.

Just an update, the battry optimisation setting for Gmail seems to have worked, all emails are now coming in on time and with notification tone. Although every email in my personal account is now marked as "important" (with the little yellow tab on it). Just a small annoyance so hopefully that is easily fixed.

Glad you figured it out!

A quick google threw this up on the 'important' markers:

Hide importance markers in Gmail

Using a browser, open Gmail. ...
    In the top right, click Settings. ...
    Click the Inbox tab.
    In the "Importance markers" section, select No markers.
    At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.

Glad you figured it out!

A quick google threw this up on the 'important' markers:

Hide importance markers in Gmail

Using a browser, open Gmail. ...
    In the top right, click Settings. ...
    Click the Inbox tab.
    In the "Importance markers" section, select No markers.
    At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.

Cheers for that! Will try that and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Had problems with Battery saving for apps recently myself.

Advertisement