Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy 2GB 204pin DDR3 module ?

Options
  • 14-05-2021 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

One of these has gone faulty in an old laptop that we have here. ( the culprit is a Samsung M471B5773CHS-CH9 module )

Looking for suggestions for where to get a replacement. Would prefer a B&M store in 'Dubland' ( Dublin and adjacent counties )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Looks like that Samsung is a 1333MHz stick so what I can see (that or faster) is:

Celbridge (new €17.22) https://www.memoryc.com/20034-2gb-geil-ddr3-so-dimm-1333mhz-cl9-laptop-memory-module-204-pins-pc3-10660-1-35v.html
    Newbridge (used €1.25) https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smem2qaa&categoryName=memory-laptop-ddr3&superCatName=computing&title=2-gb-pc10600-ddr3-1333mhz-204-pin-memory

€30 used from Stillorgan, Bray or Balbriggan for an 8GB stick but no idea if the laptop could use it or if you would be sacrificing dual-channel or if it would matter or be worth it https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=smem2q3aa1&categoryName=memory-laptop-ddr3&superCatName=computing&title=8-gb-pc12800-ddr3-1600mhz-204-pin-memory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Thanks Minitrue.

CEX bounced an order I put in with them earlier today saying zero 2GB stock.
    Its one of a pair ( in an HP Probook6550b ) - so speed is probably down to what ever is in the main slot at present ?
    Was wondering about 4GB ( which is max size lappy will take ) units. Would want to replace both good and bad modules if doing this, so would end up opening up the thing up ( seems the primary module is got at by removing the keyboard ) rather than just uncovering the 'upgrade slot'.

Might this end badly ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

CEX don't seem to have stuff in stock online but do say they have it in store. Not much in the way of 4GB sticks anywhere close.

Speed for a pair will be down to the slowest so you should be ok to add a 1600MHz stick and it would run at 1333MHz, there isn't a primary and secondary, just 2 slots.

It's possible you could break something trying to go deeper into the laptop but if you can find a good guide to doing it, have a little space to work in and have patience you should be fine. Not sure how much time and money it's worth spending on something that old, depends in no small part if it's got the i7 or the Celeron. FTR just under €50 for a new pair of 4GB sticks from memoryc
    https://www.memoryc.com/11985-8gb-g-skill-ddr3-pc3-10666-cl9-sq-series-dual-channel-laptop-memory-kit-2x4gb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just buy on Adverts or Ebay. You will get 2x4GB or 2x2GB for very little. There are different types of DDR3 - DDR3L and DDR3, both should work.

You have to open up that laptop and take off the keyboard to do this. Be careful as the keyboard connector is very delicate.

Which stick is faulty? If it's the stick that's easily accessible in the bottom hatch I would just replace that and call it a day. Even 1 x 4GB would be fine, for a total of 6GB. It won't be running in dual channel but for ordinary tasks that doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

minitrue wrote: »
    ... Not sure how much time and money it's worth spending on something that old, depends in no small part if it's got the i7 or the Celeron.....
    Its an i5 ( allbeit of a certain age ! ) . Despite its age it does more or less everything that is asked of it. It has a whole bunch of different type of ports and storage interfaces. So keen to keep it going :)
    Homelander wrote: »
    You have to open up that laptop and take off the keyboard to do this. Be careful as the keyboard connector is very delicate.

Which stick is faulty? If it's the stick that's easily accessible in the bottom hatch I would just replace that and call it a day. Even 1 x 4GB would be fine, for a total of 6GB. It won't be running in dual channel but for ordinary tasks that doesn't really matter.
    Thanks for the caution re the keyboard.

It is the unit that is easily accessible that went faulty. If I were to put a new 4GB in that slot and kept the 2GB in the slot under the keyboard do you think there would be noticeable/any change in the speed of the thing ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement