Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview Box

Options
  • 14-05-2021 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.

Why there no Saorview boxes with a built in Hard Drive?

Planning on buying a box, but just wondering if a box with internal hard drive might be a future option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

There was 1 a few years ago - a Walker 500Gb version for about €100

https://www.glendimplexireland.com/brands/walker/smart-set-top-boxes/wp6500ttr

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.

Planning on buying a box, but just wondering if a box with internal hard drive might be a future option?

There is one of the Saorview 500gb recorders for sale on Adverts, 30e.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yellow Dog wrote: »

It's not really a clever solution because if the HDD runs out of space, you have to chuck the whole lot and buy a new box. Whereas a replacement (external) HDD will be much cheaper and you'll have a big choice of models and capacities to choose from. And you can reuse the old HDD for backups, photo archive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

You can delete old programs on a hdd to create space. And even if you fill up the hdd box will still receive the channels. Or is the saorview box really that bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not really a clever solution because if the HDD runs out of space, you have to chuck the whole lot and buy a new box. Whereas a replacement (external) HDD will be much cheaper and you'll have a big choice of models and capacities to choose from. And you can reuse the old HDD for backups, photo archive etc.

Why can you not wipe the HDD?

Can you not take out the HDD and put in another if it fails?

If they can put it in, I expect you can take it out .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why can you not wipe the HDD?

You can do aggressive space management but people being people, they often accummulate programs and doggedly refuse to delete them because they insist they will watch them some day. Meanwhile, the HDD is full and the box can't record new stuff.
    Can you not take out the HDD and put in another if it fails?

The machine itself often uses a hidden partition on the HDD for the boot sectors and the OS so the answer to your question is usually 'no'. If the machine uses an external (user-supplied) HDD for recorded programs, it will typically use onboard NVRAM chips for the boot and OS data. But if there's a factory-fitted HDD, they will save on cost and use some of that storage instead.
    If they can put it in, I expect you can take it out .......

I expect you'd have no problem taking out the factory HDD, doing a low-level format (to get rid of hidden partitions) and using it somewhere else. My point is that installing a replacement isn't as straightforward as you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

coylemj wrote: »
    You can do aggressive space management but people being people, they often accummulate programs and doggedly refuse to delete them because they insist they will watch them some day. Meanwhile, the HDD is full and the box can't record new stuff.

If it is full then of course nothing more can be added.
    You seem to imply people think data can be added to a full HDD.
    I find that amusing. :)
    The machine itself often uses a hidden partition on the HDD for the boot sectors and the OS so the answer to your question is usually 'no'. If the machine uses an external (user-supplied) HDD for recorded programs, it will typically use onboard NVRAM chips for the boot and OS data. But if there's a factory-fitted HDD, they will save on cost and use some of that storage instead.

If there is a partition on the HDD, hidden or not, then it and/or its contents can be copied/cloned to a replacement HDD.

I expect you'd have no problem taking out the factory HDD, doing a low-level format (to get rid of hidden partitions) and using it somewhere else. My point is that installing a replacement isn't as straightforward as you seem to think.

So what is a user to do when the HDD fails?
    Replace the whole device?

That would be ridiculous and intollerable.

There is nothing on any of those HDDs that cannot be duplicated on a replacement HDD if the partition is just full.
    Simply clone the drive and delete the recordings from the clone and fit it, thus preserving the original recordings.

As for 'low level' format ...... I guess you mean writing a new partition table ..... hardly an onerous task.

So I have one question only ....... if a HDD fails (dies) in such a box what is the user supposed to do?
    I read your response to mean they cannot replace the HDD and achieve full functionality.

Is that what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Sorry bring this slightly off topic my neighbour has an ariel on the roof and plugged in to his LG. He seams to have the full freeview channels and irish ones. It's pointing towards the louth transmitor. My question is if I got a freeview recorder box with the aerial plugged into it would I be able to get rte on that box or would only freeview channels show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

roadmaster wrote: »
    Sorry bring this slightly off topic my neighbour has an ariel on the roof and plugged in to his LG. He seams to have the full freeview channels and irish ones. It's pointing towards the louth transmitor. My question is if I got a freeview recorder box with the aerial plugged into it would I be able to get rte on that box or would only freeview channels show up?

You should be able to get both, just make sure its a Freeview HD box, the Saorview channels won't be viewable on an sd box, although I would think there are few sd boxes around now. Just bear in mind the Saorview channels would be up in the 800 channel numbers on most freeviewboxes, I had a Panasonic freeview box some time and the channels could be renumbered, I think it was the exception.

decor58 wrote: »
    You should be able to get both, just make sure its a Freeview HD box, the Saorview channels won't be viewable on an sd box, although I would think there are few sd boxes around now. Just bear in mind the Saorview channels would be up in the 800 channel numbers on most freeviewboxes, I had a Panasonic freeview box some time and the channels could be renumbered, I think it was the exception.

Before i invest in a box i decided to just hook up the TV, i am not a million miles from the border. The only channels i can get are the saorview no matter what way aerial is pointed, I am getting zero british channels . As mentioned above my neighbour gets the full freeview and saorview. The only difference is my Aerial is in the attic and his is outside but both are the same height. Would this be an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Before i invest in a box i decided to just hook up the TV, i am not a million miles from the border. The only channels i can get are the saorview no matter what way aerial is pointed, I am getting zero british channels . As mentioned above my neighbour gets the full freeview and saorview. The only difference is my Aerial is in the attic and his is outside but both are the same height. Would this be an issue?

I'd say your attic aerial is the issue alright. I'd also say your neighbour probably doesn't have the full Freeview service, due to co-channel issues with Saorview transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doughnut2000

This map might help https://ukfree.tv/maps/bbc/6

I'd say your attic aerial is the issue alright. I'd also say your neighbour probably doesn't have the full Freeview service, due to co-channel issues with Saorview transmitters.

Cheers i will try it outside and see what i get

Advertisement