Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with sewage caused by neighbour

Options
  • 14-05-2021 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here or if anyone else has come across this situation before.

I live in a block of 16 houses. All built in the 1940s so pretty old. Over the past few weeks, the sewage has blocked up a number of times. I am the last house on the sewage line so mine fills last but mine is the one that overflows.

In the attached image, my house is the one on the bottom left with the little blue symbol. The yellow line is the flow of sewage, gets to the top and there is a cover there where it goes to the right. Then flows out to meet the road at the end of the yellow line.

I called the council who directed me to Irish water. They checked and clear on their side.

We have traced it to the house circled in red. The own the house and are there years. We have found masks, tshirts, lumps of coal and all sorts in the line. Lately it seems to be oil that has gone solid and eventually breaks through.

We have tried to engage with them and they dont want to hear it. They dont have bins, we have seen them up the town putting household rubbish in public bins and are all round dirty people.

I am in the house 4 years and from speaking to the neighbours, this has been going on decades (the once found nappies in it :eek: ).

Anyone had this scenario before & what did you do?
    My next step is honestly just pouring buckets of raw sewage in their garden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Let Irish water know where you suspect the issue is. Check if other neighbors are affected.

Ask the offender's for their insurance details as you wish to make a claim against their insurance for damage to your property.

If you have proof you can take a civil action for damages.

Usually a solicitors letter informing of impending action accompanied by a substantial clean up invoice will concentrate their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Sounds good thanks. Me and one of the neighbours are thinking of popping a letter in their door with the cost of a professional drain cleaner quote and say if it happens again, they'll be paying it.

If thats no joy, may have to engage the solicitor route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sue the pants off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

event wrote: »
    Sounds good thanks. Me and one of the neighbours are thinking of popping a letter in their door with the cost of a professional drain cleaner quote and say if it happens again, they'll be paying it.

I'm pretty sure you've no entitlement to claim the expense, in a previous job I worked with a pensioner who was the end of the row and even though she could ask the problem unit to pay some of the cost she was told that she was ultimately liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Definitely get onto council and Irish water.

Make council aware of them dumping and also putting all sorts into the sewer system.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you've no entitlement to claim the expense, in a previous job I worked with a pensioner who was the end of the row and even though she could ask the problem unit to pay some of the cost she was told that she was ultimately liable.

Oh I know, Im hoping it scares them in to stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Obvious question is; can you prove its coming from house you think it is?

Obvious question is; can you prove its coming from house you think it is?

Pretty much. So the yellow sorta dot, there is a cover there and its blocked. We go to the house to the right of the red circle and there is no blockage on the back of their house. So its blocked under the red circle house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Remember it happening someone I know years ago. Council didn't want to know.

Is there an AJ outside on the path?

Not sure what an AJ is but there is no access to the sewer out on the path, all done behind the houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Not sure what an AJ is but there is no access to the sewer out on the path, all done behind the houses

Ah ok I would be calling a local TD and a local newspaper to put pressure on the council

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they can't prove they pay for waste removal councils can and are chasing people, go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

No Proof , He can do what he likes inside his house -

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they can't prove they pay for waste removal councils can and are chasing people, go that route.

Still can't/won't make them pay for the issues the OP has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP. Having been down this road already I can tell you if the pipe is on private land then it is an issue between you and your neighbours. Council irish water will not get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

Raw sewage backing up into properties is a serious health hazard, I'd be inclined to complain to the environmental health authorities... If the offending House is a rented house the landlord may have some responsibility too... He may have to get a contractor in the jet the line to clear it, and bill the tenants for it

Flushing items like nappies and towels down toilets causes some amount of trouble for wastewater plant operators, items like that can jam pump impellers and block the pump causing process breakdowns..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

divillybit wrote: »
    Raw sewage backing up into properties is a serious health hazard, I'd be inclined to complain to the environmental health authorities... If the offending House is a rented house the landlord may have some responsibility too... He may have to get a contractor in the jet the line to clear it, and bill the tenants for it

Flushing items like nappies and towels down toilets causes some amount of trouble for wastewater plant operators, items like that can jam pump impellers and block the pump causing process breakdowns..

The problem rests as a private issue. No authority will move on this. The responsibility of public authorities ends at the private property line.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting

divillybit wrote: »
    If the offending House is a rented house the landlord may have some responsibility too...
    "We have traced it to the house circled in red. The(y) own the house and are there years."

Advertisement