Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What nation will win Euro 2020?

• 14-05-2021 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

A poll to gauge the general consensus. I'll abstain on voting atm, I'm not well up on my footie.

Vote and discuss et cetera.

Who will win? 119 votes

Spain
    0%
    Italy
    0%
    Sheridan81 1 vote
    France
    3%
    jobeenfitztgdalyBRYAN Is Ainm Domsterz 4 votes
    Germany
    45%
    Thanx 4 The FishBounty Hunter~Rebel~eventciaran76nc6000TheMilkyPirateongaritedfx-adaminhonamloc1980sugarmanEsse85corcaigh07callaway92SlickRicYugiohirelandroverMorzadecgreendom 54 votes
    England
    3%
    BlowfishPirateShampooThe Golden Millerpjohnson 4 votes
    Belgium
    15%
    applehunterFatherTedCrowdedHouseNIMANfatbhoyAll_in_Flynnxtal191PTH2009Ferris_BuellerBrussels SproutThe Big Easydinorebelbyronbay2Bleating LambRebel_Kn1ghtGavlorRadiant Cool Crazy NightmareMcFly85Cal4567 19 votes
    Croatia
    12%
    bytepoppersUnearthlyDuffMiley ByrneLeBashMayoForSamhappyoutscanShamoBucOptimalprimeribLad GAGAjohn whyOnTheCouchAlfred Bordentastyt 15 votes
    Portugal
    0%
    The Netherlands
    16%
    PHBbassyDouble CdmigsysydthebeatDeeper Bluecon___manx1Glico Man[Deleted User]Banjaxed82martyos121irishguitarladhurlingman97y0ssar1an22RollieFingersMantis Toboggancharolais0153Potential Underachiever[Deleted User]Sawduck 20 votes
    Other
    1%
    joe316wicklowwonder 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Belgium
    I have gone for England. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Croatia
    I’m going Belgium , de Bruyne , tielemans , Lukaku at the top of their game and time for that “ golden generation “ to deliver .

Plus Hazard has had a rest for more or less 12 months and surely has a point to prove .

England have unbelievable attacking players. But their goalkeepers and defence I don’t think will hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

The Netherlands
    Portugal or Belgium I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The Netherlands
    I think Belgium had their best chance at World Cup 2018, I don't think they're as good a team now.

Portugal's squad looks strong, I'd give them a chance.

But I reckon it'll be France. The amount of depth they have is ridiculous. I don't think they even played that well in 2018 and still won fairly comfortably.

I've really pushed the boat out with these picks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Croatia
    Belgium should be there or there abouts and I'll give them my tentative vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

France
    Their group wasn't in any way difficult but Italy still made extremely light work of it. Won all ten games, scoring 37 and only conceding 4. Also unbeaten in 25 games. Much younger squad than previous years and if Verratti recovers in time I think they'll be in with a big shout.

I expect them to top Group A and then meet either Ukraine or Austria in the last 16. Win that and then they will most likely face Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Belgium
    England

Have a sneaky feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The Netherlands
    Hard to look past Portugal for me. They’ve always had top class attacking players and, good defenders and a decent midfield over the past 15 years, but now they have genuine world class in every area of the pitch, so well rounded.

They have France in their group, and I think they’ll meet again in the final, just like 2016, with the same result.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think Belgium had their best chance at World Cup 2018, I don't think they're as good a team now.

Portugal's squad looks strong, I'd give them a chance.

But I reckon it'll be France. The amount of depth they have is ridiculous. I don't think they even played that well in 2018 and still won fairly comfortably.

But Portugal or France. One of them might get knocked out early on though.

I've really pushed the boat out with these picks

A griezeman dive for the first and a questionable handball decision for the second went a long way to them winning. Especially as the the threshold for the handball was still a bit more meaningful then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Germany
    For me this is the most open European championships I can ever remeber. There's no clear obvious favourite and the gap between the teams is extremely close. It should make for a very entertaining championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Belgium
    Augme wrote: »
    For me this is the most open European championships I can ever remeber. There's no clear obvious favourite and the gap between the teams is extremely close. It should make for a very entertaining championship.

Agree with your sentiments.....France,Belgium and Portugal probably have the strongest teams on paper but I have a feeling that if they get a bit of a rhythm going,England will be hard stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

England
    France, who probably have one of the most under rated managers. What he did with Monaco in 04 was brilliant.

If not them, the two usual suspects, Italy or Germany

England
    People saying England again. They do have one of their better teams at the minute, but they'll always, and I mean ALWAYS, be beaten by the likes of your Italy's and Germany's in major tournaments. They won't be close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Problem with England is that some of their best attackers like Rashford and Sterling have been out of form this season. Sancho coming into form at the right time helps with this though and Foden's emergence too.

They better hope Phillips stays fit too as without Rice I think the drop off in DM would be huge unless the likes of Henderson can get fit. Maguire will be rushed back for the Europa final for United and CB is already probably their weakest position without him being half fit.

England
    sterz wrote: »
    Their group wasn't in any way difficult but Italy still made extremely light work of it. Won all ten games, scoring 37 and only conceding 4. Also unbeaten in 25 games. Much younger squad than previous years and if Verratti recovers in time I think they'll be in with a big shout.

I expect them to top Group A and then meet either Ukraine or Austria in the last 16. Win that and then they will most likely face Belgium.

Yep, I think Italy will surprise alot of people and win it. They're well drilled and well balanced, and as always, have the best technical players in Europe. Never mind the big hype and name checks from the likes of Belgium and England, Italy have the best ballers

Liam O wrote: »
    Problem with England is that some of their best attackers like Rashford and Sterling have been out of form this season. Sancho coming into form at the right time helps with this though and Foden's emergence too.

They better hope Phillips stays fit too as without Rice I think the drop off in DM would be huge unless the likes of Henderson can get fit. Maguire will be rushed back for the Europa final for United and CB is already probably their weakest position without him being half fit.

They also still have doubts on Henderson.

Rice and Foden get the column inches, but Henderson sets the tempo. Liverpool have missed him badly, and I think England would too.

Stones and Maguire as solid as they've been most of the season still have brainfarts in them and Pickford is way overrated, and Henderson too to be honest.

Portugal made hard work of Azerbaijan recently and Serbia were well worth the point against them but hard to look past then and France. That group should be great fun

England
    Hard to give Germany much chance with Low still there. At best, he was a fairly neutral influence and ineffective manager, and now, nothing but a hindrance holding them back. With the players they have they should be close, but in reality won't be with Low in charge

England
    sugarman wrote: »
    This.

They were undone by Belgium x2 and Croatia in the 2018 World Cup, the only decent teams they faced.

Finished 3rd behind Belgium and Denmark in their 2020 Nations League group.

I'd back them to reach the Quarters or Semis at a push.

Great attacking talent but their defense will let them down, always a blunder in their centre backs and/or goalkeepers.

I can't see past one of France, Portugal or Belgium to win it.

Belgium always seem to have a sort of soft underbelly. Always feel they'll be undone when it matters. Have to grind it too to win. Portugal last time out were a good example, had names before but were soft. Then they became a well drilled hard working outfit, hard to beat with a bit of quality thrown in. Don't think Belgium have that

There's only a few teams that have that winners mentality to get over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Germany
    England have serious talent, but I don’t think Southgate has the ability to make the most of it. He’s a great figurehead manager for a modern England team - speaks well, brings an air of modernity and respectability - but he’s just not a great manager. As usual they’ll play predictable structured football, fail to look incisive and creative in the final third, and end up just trying to brute force things with long balls into the channels to chase, and set pieces.

Their one hope is someone like Graelish literally just doing his own thing.

England
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    England have serious talent

Do they though? Look average enough to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Germany
    Have gone for France.

Is the England hype largely because they’ll play their games at home?

It’s a good squad but I think it’s a bit overblown. Kane is a superstar and they have wide players to choose from but behind that, they’re a bit behind the level you’d expect from a team that wins a major championship.

If Henderson misses out they’re really weak in the middle at elite international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Belgium
    I've gone for England, two English teams in the champions league final, a lot of great attacking talent, a lot of their games will be in London. It's not a factor on the football side of things, but I can just envisage England celebrating a victory as they approach post Covid while the rest of Europe is still behind. They undoubtedly have the talent, injuries could undo them depending on the fitness of Henderson, Maguire and Rice who are three key players.

France are obviously the other main contenders having won the World Cup and they've a very strong squad. Don't agree with those saying Belgium, I think their time has passed. A suspect backline and a misfiring Hazard.

Buzzing for it to start though, international tournaments are by far by favourite competitions in football. Bring it on!

England
    The problem with England is the technical side of the game, and has been for decades. They had big names in the 90's, 00's and now and nothing changes, they're poor footballers from a technical stand point. English players at top clubs do a certain role, quick winger, big defender, box to box player. Nothing more is asked of them but to play to their strengths, the foreign boys are pulling the strings ultimately.

We throw 11 or these together for the English national team and they are clueless in game management. Sterling will run up blind alleys all day, Henderson will pass to the side knowing he'll not get the pass back, Kane doing nothing waiting on supply not coming. None of them can really sync and get a structured rhythm or tempo going.

An English winger for example may be better for bursting runs and doing a certain job at his club, but you can guarantee the inferior Italian winger is better at getting his head up, turning back and fitting in with the rhythm of a game when needed, in the sense of managing the game. England are so far out of their dept in this regard. Miles and miles away it's not even funny. This England team is very limited in that sense.

The only genuinely great player they have, who will be world class one day, is Grealish and he won't play. He has what they need

Germany
    I've gone for England, two English teams in the champions league final, a lot of great attacking talent, a lot of their games will be in London. It's not a factor on the football side of things, but I can just envisage England celebrating a victory as they approach post Covid while the rest of Europe is still behind. They undoubtedly have the talent, injuries could undo them depending on the fitness of Henderson, Maguire and Rice who are three key players.

France are obviously the other main contenders having won the World Cup and they've a very strong squad. Don't agree with those saying Belgium, I think their time has passed. A suspect backline and a misfiring Hazard.

Buzzing for it to start though, international tournaments are by far by favourite competitions in football. Bring it on!

2 English teams, but between the 22 players starting, only 3 will be English. 4 at a push if Chilwell sneaks in ahead of Alonso, but Alonso’s the more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Belgium
    2 English teams, but between the 22 players starting, only 3 will be English. 4 at a push if Chilwell sneaks in ahead of Alonso, but Alonso’s the more likely.

Fair point, but I would argue Walker, Sterling, Foden, James, Mount, Chilwell are all fairly big players for those clubs. Mount and Foden being two of the réal stars. Foden in particular I think is a potential world class player.

France do have the better team, but England have a seriously good team. Forgot to mention Grealish also who is coming back from injury, but if they are all fit I think they've a great chance, unfortunately. Although this is probably the first English team in my lifetime that I don't have a strong dislike towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Belgium
    England have serious talent, but I don’t think Southgate has the ability to make the most of it. He’s a great figurehead manager for a modern England team - speaks well, brings an air of modernity and respectability - but he’s just not a great manager. As usual they’ll play predictable structured football, fail to look incisive and creative in the final third, and end up just trying to brute force things with long balls into the channels to chase, and set pieces.

Their one hope is someone like Graelish literally just doing his own thing.

Voted for England but agree with this. What are the chances of Southgate playing Sancho, Foden and Grealish (I know Grealish is just back in training) in the same team? Probably zero.

England really do have top class attacking talent, but I'm pretty sure Soutgate will persist with Sterling and Rashford either side of Kane, rather play the guys in form and who have special quality.

It's hard to pick England's midfield at the moment, if he plays with three, he has to find a two that can allow Foden or Grealish the third spot and free up another slot in the front three. Who knows Southgate could be starting with Lingard in that spot ahead of Foden and Grealish!

I believe England have the talent but it's not really falling into place for them with Maguire, Rice, Henderson and Grealish all big doubts.

I still believe if Southgate is brave enough to drop underperforming names and as Rebel said design a game plan that plays to the strengths of some really top class players they can do it.

Edit: Had forgotten Mount and he will play the point of the three :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Provided Phillips stays fit, I think he is a better player than Rice and if Rice is injured they may just play Phillips as a lone DM with Mount and another ahead of him. That would be a better team than Phillips and Rice in a 4-2-3-1 and could actually be a blessing in disguise for them imo.

They are a very interesting team this summer really. Always been a Portugal fan when Ireland don't make tournaments though so hopefully they can find a way to have all their stars work together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

All their games taking place in Wembley is a big advantage for England.

I'm not exactly sure who is best suited going into the tournament yet. It's been a long slog of a season and some players are close to burnout as it is. It could be a damp squib of a tournament yet with moments of magic from fast, fresh attackers deciding close low-scoring games .

The only genuinely great player they have, who will be world class one day, is Grealish and he won't play. He has what they need

Trent Alexander Arnold says hello.

Anyway, Foden and Greenwood have very high ceilings and if keep going as they are will be considered world class. Mount not as good, but still up in the top class.

They are developing technical players, more and more of them and we are seeing that in the types of players coming through.

What England do though, and will always seem to do is shoehorn all of them in and not have any balance.

There was never a need for both lampard and Gerrard for example. Having one on the bench would have been a brilliant option with scholes/Carrick/Barry type in beside them instead. They still do this. Getting the balance right is the hard part.

If he sticks with Pickford too, I don't give them much hope. Pope is their most composed Goalkeeper, and he is probably 3rd choice. They've great options at full back , though centre not so much. Their attacking players are frightening if on form, but it's he balance of midfield. Henderson is a huge miss there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Germany
    I'm stuck between France or Portugal for my number 1 pick.

Like many said, there's so many teams who can with it and it will be very open.

Should be a very very interesting tournament to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Belgium
    England. A young team, not yet at their prime but they'll have that spark and energy. They are going to turn one of these tournaments where they qualify with ease, into something. Home advantage, more or less, as well, will be a big help.

The Dutch and Croatia as well, looking beyond the obvious. Which of the more fancied teams will come a cropper, early on? Always happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Cal4567 wrote: »
    England. A young team, not yet at their prime but they'll have that spark and energy. They are going to turn one of these tournaments where they qualify with ease, into something. Home advantage, more or less, as well, will be a big help.

The Dutch and Croatia as well, looking beyond the obvious. Which of the more fancied teams will come a cropper, early on? Always happens.

Think the Dutch will struggle myself. No VVD is massive and 2 of their midfielders have had massively contrasting seasons. Gini is wrecked having played nearly every game possible for his club and Van De Beek has barely made it onto the pitch. A lot of the attack seems to rest on Depay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Phil Foden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Not many here mentioned Germany. Although there form isn't great you should never rule them out. Personally I think Portugal will win it or perhaps Spain as a dark horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Euro 2020 Favourites (not written by me)
    England – 4/1

Surprisingly England are currently the favourites to win Euro 2020 at odds of roughly 4/1. We suspect that England playing all of their group stage games at Wembley helps them as does the fact that many of the knockout matches are hosted in London.

France – 13/2

Following England are 2018 World Cup winners France. The fact they have both Germany and Portugal in their group seems to have damaged their odds somewhat.

Belgium – 5/1

Once again Belgium have a hugely talented pool of players at their disposal which has resulted in them being third favourite.

Netherlands – 6/1

With the rise of Virgil Van Dijk and Matthijs De Ligt, the Netherlands have become one of the clear favourites to win the tournament.

Spain – 8/1

Luis Enrique has returned as head-coach and the Spanish could be ones to look out for as they are lined up with Sweden, Poland and another team yet to be confirmed.

Germany – 9/1

After a disastrous World Cup, Germany are sixth favourites. The fact they are flying under the radar could help them but they do have a tough group to get out of.

Italy – 9/1

After failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, Italy did not lose a game in Euro 2020 qualification and seem to have found a winning identity under Roberto Mancini.

Portugal – 16/1

Winners four years ago, Portugal may seem an outside shot but with Cristiano Ronaldo at the helm it seems you can never bet against them.

Will wrack my brain later when I look at the actual draw, and when who meets who, and who's in the "there-has-to-be-one-in-every-tournament" group of death !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The Netherlands
    Group A Group B Group C Group D Group E Group F
     Turkey  Denmark[a]  Netherlands[a]  England[a]  Spain[a]  Hungary
     Italy[a]  Finland  Ukraine  Croatia  Sweden  Portugal
     Wales  Belgium  Austria  Scotland  Poland  France
      Switzerland  Russia  North Macedonia  Czech Republic  Slovakia  Germany[a]

2 go thru from each group = 12
    4 3rd best placed teams go thur = 4

top half:

Winner B
    3rd A/D/E/F

Winner A
    Runner Up C

Winner F
    3rd A/B/C

Runner up D
    Runner up E

bottom half

Winner E
    3rd A/B/C/D

Winner D
    Runner up F

Winner C
    3rd D/E/F

Runner up A
    Runner up B

in the predictor here, i had france and portugal getting to the final:

https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020tournamentpredictor/main

and they will be my 2 bets to win it.

Germany
    Think France are my favourites, and Italy are my dark horses.

These sort of competitions are a bit of a lottery in terms of finding a winner, you can lose on penalties so don't even have to lose a game to exit.

Having said that, I'd fancy England and had them backed in the last WC and they're even stronger again.

I see the bookies have them favourites so I'll go for someone else(Spain/Germany or Italy once I see the squads).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Germany
    I don't really rate Southgate but do think England have a great squad of players and a massive advantage with this essentially being a home tournament for them. It's probably England's best chance to win a major tournament but Belgium, France and Portugal are the ones who are good enough to overcome them IMO and I think France are the most likely.

When they can afford to leave the likes of Laporte and Benzema out of their squad and still win the world cup it's kind of hard to look past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The Netherlands
    this is the problem with this structure.

england win the group, they will play runner up of F..france, portugal or germany
    come 2nd...play runner up E, sweden or poland most likely.

easier game if you dont win the group. shouldn't have any 3rd place teams getting thru and go with 8/4 groups of 4. or even 4 groups of 5 with top 2 qualifying.

• Advertisement

The Netherlands
    jacool wrote: »

Portugal – 16/1

Winners four years ago, Portugal may seem an outside shot but with Cristiano Ronaldo at the helm it seems you can never bet against them.

I assume that article was written a while back, best odds you can get on Portugal at the moment is about 8/1.

If they were 16/1 those would be incredible odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Where will the final be held?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For the first time in my lifetime . I'm genuinely worried that England could win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For the first time in my lifetime . I'm genuinely worried that England could win this.

I really don't care who wins it but if England do win it with will be some fun around here.

What exactly are you worried about ?

England
    I don't really rate Southgate

No idea how he ever got the job. Terrible manager, where every team struggled under him in any job he had.

A fraud like Koeman, Koeman being the worst manger I've ever seen who would carry a big reputation

The Netherlands
    I'm not sure England are ready to win it this year, but considering the age of their most promising players they'll be a serious threat for the likes of Euro 24 and World Cup 26 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I really don't care who wins it but if England do win it with will be some fun around here.

What exactly are you worried about ?

I would hate if they won it so would really rather it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure England are ready to win it this year, but considering the age of their most promising players they'll be a serious threat for the likes of Euro 24 and World Cup 26 in my opinion.

I thought for a second I was back in the golden generation of England football. The media particularly the tabloids went crazy for them. Becks, Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard......it was only a matter of when. Then it didn't happen and they shut up about it and started doing better.

They've been unlucky a few times, been very strong in qualifying for decades. Law of averages is with them.

These are the updated odds - I genuinely cannot recall a more open betting heat. Maybe because so many get into round 2.
    11/2 England, France
    6/1 Belgium
    9/1 Germany, Spain
    10/1 Portugal
    12/1 Italy
    14/1 Netherlands
    33/1 Denmark
    50/1 Croatia
    all the way to four 500/1 shots Finland, Hungary, North Macedonia and Slovakia

Golden Boot odds
    7/1 Harry "Will I have Signed For A New Team Before The Euros And Not Need The Shop Window" Kane ENG
    8/1 Romelu "Will Belgium Live Up To The Hype And Create Me Loads Of Chances" Lukaku BEL
    10/1 Kylian "Will I Have To Share The Limelight With Karim Benzema?" Mbappe FRA
    10/1 Cristiano "Will I Have To Share The Limelight With My Own Ego?" Ronaldo POR
    20's and better the rest - look for penalty takers at a big price I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement