Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What nation will win Euro 2020?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Germany
    Can’t see England winning it at all. They will be out done tactically and technically against the first half decent team they come up against just like they always are. Their World Cup performance is vastly overrated, only because they managed to not fcuk up too badly like they would’ve in previous campaigns.

Frances’ to lose, especially if the rumours about Benzema being back are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

jacool wrote: »
    Golden Boot odds
    7/1 Harry "Will I have Signed For A New Team Before The Euros And Not Need The Shop Window" Kane ENG
    8/1 Romelu "Will Belgium Live Up To The Hype And Create Me Loads Of Chances" Lukaku BEL
    10/1 Kylian "Will I Have To Share The Limelight With Karim Benzema?" Mbappe FRA
    10/1 Cristiano "Will I Have To Share The Limelight With My Own Ego?" Ronaldo POR
    20's and better the rest - look for penalty takers at a big price I'd say.

Who takes Portugal pens? Ronaldo surely pulls rank over Bruno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Belgium
    Can’t see England winning it at all. They will be out done tactically and technically against the first half decent team they come up against just like they always are. Their World Cup performance is vastly overrated, only because they managed to not fcuk up too badly like they would’ve in previous campaigns.

Frances’ to lose, especially if the rumours about Benzema being back are true.

Bringing Benzema along could really backfire though, don't think he's the most popular lad in French football and as we've seen before it doesn't take much to upset the French equilibrium!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Germany
    One lad here saying Grealish is England's only world class player and another lad saying TAA should be in the conversation. Neither obviously having ever seen Harry Kane or Phil Foden play football.

France for me, Squad too strong and most of them been there done that. Couldn't have England at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Germany
    Is there VAR in the euros? Could see a lot more pens given than in previous tournaments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Swiss are my outside bet.

Italy or Spain most likely for me.

I would go for England but just don't trust Southgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Do we have euros megathread?

See Benzema is getting called up for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Germany
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Do we have euros megathread?

See Benzema is getting called up for France.

Wow that's big news.

I had them as favourites anyway but that's an even bigger boost. Just an incredible pool of talent, way beyond the starting XI.

I really can't understand how England are such short odds. The true Champions League level quality just isn't there in abundance the same way it is with France, or even to a lesser extent German, Portugal, Spain, Belgium. Question marks over the goalkepper, centre backs, midfield ability to control the game at the very highest level.

Then you factor in 4 knockout games - a high chance you need to win a penalty shoot out. They have such a bad record. I know it's a different set of players, but I buy into the idea of a national mindset/bottle and the pressure of history. I would have them as 2nd favourites in a shootout even if it's something of a lottery against most of the top teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's interesting much is made of England's poor shootout record and it is poor but they've only been in 8 big ones, many of them are quite tight and it is a bit of a lottery. If just one had gone the other way it would be 3-5 which wouldn't be as gruesome. I think it's probably just bad luck rather than an English characteristic.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/england-penalty-shootout-record-how-often-won-lost/128qfzvz5fj7f1cyeje3xnfssw

World Cup
    1990: West Germany 1-1 England AET (West Germany won 4-3 on penalties)
    1998: Argentina 2-2 England AET (Argentina won 4-3 on penalties)
    2006: England 0-0 Portugal AET (Portugal won 3-1 on penalties)
    2018: Colombia 1-1 England AET (England won 4-3 on penalties)

Euro 96: Spain 0-0 England AET (England won 4-2 on penalties)
    Euro 96: Germany 1-1 England AET (Germany won 6-5 on penalties)
    Euro 2004: Portugal 2-2 England AET (Portugal won 6-5 on penalties)
    Euro 2012: England 0-0 Italy AET (Italy won 4-2 on penalties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Italy
    I've given a vote to Spain. They're not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The Netherlands
    What were the poll numbers for France before and after the Benzema announcement? I know I’d change my pick now as a result of that if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Italy
    I don't think England are good enough.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/0269-12464679fb2e-84fa175e53ca-1000--provisional-euro-2020-squads/

The squads are in the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Germany
    I got France in the sweepstake so I suppose I will go for them, also, they are stacked with attacking talent and a manager who knows how to get the best out of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Germany
    One lad here saying Grealish is England's only world class player and another lad saying TAA should be in the conversation. Neither obviously having ever seen Harry Kane or Phil Foden play football.

France for me, Squad too strong and most of them been there done that. Couldn't have England at all.

Foden is not world class. Tonnes of raw talent and potential but he didn’t even start half of City’s games this season. Plays in spectacular spurts, if he can become a 38 game a season 90 minute man, he has the potential to be anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wales

😁😁😁

Advertisement