Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percolation Area Raised Bed

Options
  • 14-05-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I have 2 stage settle / aerate septic system with a percolation area / raised bed final stage. The raised bed is a mess. There are huge weeds and bushes growing on top of the percolation area and where the air vents join in the first picture the pipes aren't actually joined together in my bed. Should they be joined or is it ok to leave them as they are in picture 2? Does it particularly matter once they're not open?

The plan is to clear the bed of weeds and lay down a weaved fabric weed membrane and put a couple of inches of gravel on top for a few different reasons, to keep the membrane in place and to make it look neat, the finish on top is very uneven. The only thing I might put on it are some lights.

Is there any issue with doing any of this? It does get a big soggy around the percolation area so I don't think limiting the rain is a bad idea, I assume the gravel will absorb and evaporate some rain water and the membrane will slow down the rate of water seeping through percolation bed. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You definitely don't want large bushes/trees growing there with roots that will invade the drainage, but you do need some planting which will help to disperse the moisture.
    Your idea of putting weed membrane and gravel on it will do nothing to prevent rain adding to the already existing dampness, as water will just go right through such materials. The percolation system would have been designed to cope with the average amount of rain that would fall on it, so this is not your problem. You need to go back to the designer/supplier/installer of the system, which looks like it was fairly recently installed, and point out that the percolation area is not working as originally designed and needs to be amended as it is not fit for purpose, (unless the population of your house has not dramatically increased in the interim, of course:) ).
    Alternatively you could add some good topsoil to level the surface, which you say is very uneven, lay weed membrane, then plant, through slits, a good quantity of small shrubs with shallow root systems, following up with a mulch of bark, or if exposed to strong winds, gravel. A good garden centre or landscaper will good advice on the most suitable types of plants.

Advertisement