Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can she keep the rent that I paid?

Options
  • 15-05-2021 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Until recently I was renting a room in an owner occupied apartment; on 23rd April I paid my May rent (which was due on 1st May but it was payday so I wanted it out of the way) and on 29th April she told me that she needed the room for her cousin so I’d have to move out. I found a place, paid deposit, and got keys by the Sunday (2nd May) and had everything moved out of the room as of end of business yesterday (13th May). She’s now saying that she’s taking €170 out of my deposit to cover the May bills and she won’t be returning any of the rent that I paid for the month of May (approx €350). There’s no damage and no reason for her to keep my money and I’ve moved out and given the keys back within two weeks of her asking me to leave.

I know that the PRTB don’t deal with owner occupied tenancies so I don’t know where to turn.

Also, as an aside, I have the room rental agreement that I signed and it appears to be different to the one she showed me; an additional sentence was in hers (from what I can remember). The rental agreement also states that no guest can stay for longer than 3 days without prior agreement but her boyfriend was there every night this year so it seems to me that she was in breech of the agreement that she made.

Anyway, any in put would be appreciated and if you want anything clarified, just ask :)‚ thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Small claims court.

She is the owner occupier. She can have who ever she wants over for as long as she likes. She is not bound by your agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

The rental agreement also states that no guest can stay for longer than 3 days without prior agreement but her boyfriend was there every night this year so it seems to me that she was in breech of the agreement that she made.

The owner never asked your permission to allow her boyfriend to stay over longer than 3 days? The permission of someone who rents a room out in her home?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lorlaa

android1 wrote: »
    The rental agreement also states that no guest can stay for longer than 3 days without prior agreement but her boyfriend was there every night this year so it seems to me that she was in breech of the agreement that she made.

The owner never asked your permission to allow her boyfriend to stay over longer than 3 days? The permission of someone who rents a room out in her home?

That’s correct. He just showed up one day and kept coming back. It got to a point that I would see his car outside when getting home from work and I was enraged because he was there AGAIN. I felt so uncomfortable in a place that I was paying to “live” in

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

She owns the house. The agreement about guests was for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Although legally you have no rights. Sounds like you done nothing wrong and she is robbing you. I’d be standing out side her place of work or house with a placard saying as such. Until I got my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

That is terrible. You are as well away from there.
    Even 170 for a bill share seems steep.
    File a claim in small claims court. Good luck.

lawred2 wrote: »
    She owns the house. The agreement about guests was for you.

Have you read my agreement? It doesn’t say that. It just says no guest may stay longer than three nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The money thing sounds a disaster and you should realistically be just paying pro rata to the day you left.
    As for her having her boyfriend over, she owns the house she can do what she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lorlaa wrote: »
    Have you read my agreement? It doesn’t say that. It just says no guest may stay longer than three nights.

No guest of yours.

Forget about the guests thing. No agreement was broken. Maybe get some advice from FLAC about going to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It's her house, she can do as she wants with guests. The agreement is for you, not her.

You are getting sidetracked, tell her you want your rent back and your deposit or you will take her to small claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Although legally you have no rights. Sounds like you done nothing wrong and she is robbing you. I’d be standing out side her place of work or house with a placard saying as such. Until I got my money back.

No you wouldn't. And either will the OP.

It's her house, she can do as she wants with guests. The agreement is for you, not her.

You are getting sidetracked, tell her you want your rent back and your deposit or you will take her to small claims.

I agree that I was getting side tracked but the way the agreement is worded it covers both parties to (in her words) make it fair for both of us living there.

I’ll get my money back.

You are being incredibly naive.

The agreement required was from her to you. Who is she to receive agreement from, herself? She granted it :rolleyes:

Now, when she said you had to move out, did she say immediately, or the full month. It looks like you may have left early. I don't see why she would have to pay back the May rent. But, was there a deposit? Did she pay that back?

The agreement required was from her to you. Who is she to receive agreement from, herself? She granted it :rolleyes:

Now, when she said you had to move out, did she say immediately, or the full month. It looks like you may have left early. I don't see why she would have to pay back the May rent. But, was there a deposit? Did she pay that back?

No, I’m not being naive and I’ll thank you to not posit that. You haven’t read the agreement, and the way she worded it it’s saying that the other occupant of the apartment is to be made aware of any people staying other than the occupants of the apartment (which was her and me, not the boyfriend); it’s not about seeking permission, it’s about respecting boundaries.

She told me she needed the room as soon as possible so I moved as soon as possible. I have yet to get the deposit back and I’m yet to see the proof of the bills amounting to €170. Since the BF was there all the time, he was using resources of the apartment that I was paying for (such as electricity) because all bills were still being halved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From post 2 onwards people have been telling you that that boyfriend issue is a non starter. You will lose the goodwill of people here if you keep banging that drum. You are bound by the contract. She is not.

You need to focus on your rent in which case lodge a claim with the small claims court.

No, I’m not being naive and I’ll thank you to not posit that. You haven’t read the agreement, and the way she worded it it’s saying that the other occupant of the apartment is to be made aware of any people staying other than the occupants of the apartment (which was her and me, not the boyfriend); it’s not about seeking permission, it’s about respecting boundaries.

She told me she needed the room as soon as possible so I moved as soon as possible. I have yet to get the deposit back and I’m yet to see the proof of the bills amounting to €170. Since the BF was there all the time, he was using resources of the apartment that I was paying for (such as electricity) because all bills were still being halved.

Even if you think the owner of the property had to ask your permission what relevance do you think it has? How would this breach be acted upon?

You could have stayed for the entire month you paid for. Does your agreement mention required notice. If a month, she's possibly letting you off a part of June rent.

But, you should be entitled to your deposit back, unless you had to give 2 months notice.

? That was all in the op’s post.

Op, do go to small claims court. Nobody has the right to a months rent when unoccupied or occupied by someone else. She’s probably getting two months rent in May. The 170 from the deposit is probably rubbish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Op, do go to small claims court. Nobody has the right to a months rent when unoccupied or occupied by someone else. She’s probably getting two months rent in May. The 170 from the deposit is probably rubbish as well.

Agreed. Op, you can file it online. They will assess it and respond on whether or not they will take the case. You don't have to pay anything if it doesn't go to court.
    The case will have to satisfy their criteria.

Put any other issues to the back of your head and focus solely on the upfront rent you paid and the deposit.

If you left on May 2 you have 2 days rent to pay. Ask to see the bills immediately and work out what your existing agreement would make you liable to pay.

Come back to her then when you’ve worked out what you’ve overpaid and request that amount along with your deposit to be returned within a few days. If she doesn’t agree with your figures, say that it would probably be best if you bring the matter to the small claims court for them to adjudicate on it. Think it costs 15/20 euro to lodge a case.

fvp4 wrote: »

? It wasn't. She was told to move out. Clearly that wasn't there and then. She then stayed for another two weeks.

You pay a month's rent in advance, but the notice period is what's relevant. Where is that mentioned in the OP?

• Advertisement

Put any other issues to the back of your head and focus solely on the upfront rent you paid and the deposit.

If you left on May 2 you have 2 days rent to pay.

She was occupying it until the 13th. But, why is everyone ignoring the notice period that presumably exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    From post 2 onwards people have been telling you that that boyfriend issue is a non starter. You will lose the goodwill of people here if you keep banging that drum. You are bound by the contract. She is not.

You need to focus on your rent in which case lodge a claim with the small claims court.

Correct! The money is the core issue, focus on that and avoid being side tracked on the boyfriend.

? It wasn't. She was told to move out. Clearly that wasn't there and then. She then stayed for another two weeks.

You pay a month's rent in advance, but the notice period is what's relevant. Where is that mentioned in the OP?

As reported by the op it was as soon as possible. Not the end of May.

You also asked about the deposit so it really doesn’t look like you did read the original post.
    She was occupying it until the 13th. But, why is everyone ignoring the notice period that presumably exists?

Because she was asked to leave. Notice period is what you give when you choose to leave. The landlady didn’t give the notice period here, if there was one. As reported anyway.

As reported by the op it was as soon as possible. Not the end of May.

You also asked about the deposit so it really doesn’t look like you did read the original post.

Because she was asked to leave. Notice period is what you give when you choose to leave. The landlady didn’t give the notice period here. As reported anyway.

She occupied the house for two weeks afterwards. "As soon as Possible" The tenant had the possibility to stay as long as the notice period. The OP sorted other accommodation very quickly. But, a notice period goes both ways. If a month, she COULD have stayed for a month.

She occupied the house for two weeks afterwards. "As soon as Possible" The tenant had the possibility to stay as long as the notice period. The OP sorted other accommodation very quickly. But, a notice period goes both ways. If a month, she COULD have stayed for a month.

So who do you think is giving the notice period here? If the owner of a house asks you to leave you have to leave.

You’ve even invented the notice period out of whole cloth. As a licensee you can be turfed out. That doesn’t mean the licensor gets the money though when you are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Notice periods are usually on or before a certain date, so if notice was 1 month and the op left after 2 weeks, I don’t see why the op should pay the full month, nor for a full month of utilities.

Op, off to the SCC, spend €25 and drag her ass into court.

You’ve even invented the notice period out of whole cloth. As a licensee you can be turfed out

Not if there's an agreement. The OP hasn't mentioned a notice period as part of an extensive agreement that included guests. I'm thinking basics like notice period is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not if there's an agreement. The OP hasn't mentioned a notice period as part of an extensive agreement that included guests. I'm thinking basics like notice period is included.

I think the LL saying she needs the room “as soon as possible” negates any right she thinks she has to charge the op a full months rent. Wouldn’t you?

Licensee “contracts” are just house rules. I don’t think any notice period matters, or is in fact common. When I rented a room to a friend of a friend for 3 months it was a handshake.

But let’s wait on the op on that.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I think the LL saying she needs the room “as soon as possible” negates any right she thinks she has to charge the op a full months rent. Wouldn’t you?

We're going around in circles.

If there is a notice period the OP needs to pay that. She was given a notice to leave and made use of two weeks of that, if she didn't make use of any further period for which she possibly could have stayed she'll need to pay.

Advertisement