Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity blackout trips alarm

Options
  • 15-05-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how to sort this problem out. When the ESB goes down in my area it trips the alarm and the keypad has no power so I cant knock it off. Keypad says the brand is SecureWatch HKC.

Also with alarms how can you adjust the length of time it blares out for, can it be done from the keypad or is it an engineers domain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just wondering how to sort this problem out. When the ESB goes down in my area it trips the alarm and the keypad has no power so I cant knock it off. Keypad says the brand is SecureWatch HKC.

Also with alarms how can you adjust the length of time it blares out for, can it be done from the keypad or is it an engineers domain

Normally there is a battery back up to ensure the alarm works in a power cut, if the battery is dead this will happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

There is a battery inside your alarm box, possibly in hot press, or utility room. It is supposed to take over if the mains fails. I am guessing it is knackered. The fact the display is blank suggests this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There is a battery inside your alarm box, possibly in hot press, or utility room. It is supposed to take over if the mains fails. I am guessing it is knackered. The fact the display is blank suggests this.

cheers. When you say alarm box are you referring to the keypad? I definitely dont have anything in the hot press relating to the alarm, all I know of is the keypad and then the unit on the wall outside above the front door. Is there a third unit somewhere that Im missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Control panel Something like this. It’s probably up in the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Where is your MCB board, is there a white box beside it, this will have the battery back up

• Advertisement

Where is your MCB board, is there a white box beside it, this will have the battery back up

Good shout, theres a plain white box beside it that has a screw holding it shut so that looks to be it as Ive never seen anything up in the attic. Will open it up later and take a look for a battery slot. Is there a typical battery size for them, like a 9v or something

Good shout, theres a plain white box beside it that has a screw holding it shut so that looks to be it as Ive never seen anything up in the attic. Will open it up later and take a look for a battery slot. Is there a typical battery size for them, like a 9v or something

When you remove the cover there is a tamper switch/spring, this will set the alarm off.

Get a replacement battery in likes of electrical store, wholesalers...
    12v rectangular type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Take the battery with you to an electrical wholesalers to be sure you get a compatible replacement.

Thanks lads, will get the battery out and bring it to the local hardware store. ESB due to cut of the electricity for a few hours on Wednesday so will have to sort it before then or the neighbours will have a pain in their ears.

Regards adjusting the length of time an alarm goes off for- can than be done inside the control box or does it need an engineer with a software tool

Thanks lads, will get the battery out and bring it to the local hardware store. ESB due to cut of the electricity for a few hours on Wednesday so will have to sort it before then or the neighbours will have a pain in their ears.

Regards adjusting the length of time an alarm goes off for- can than be done inside the control box or does it need an engineer with a software tool

Have you the engineer code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you take the battery out and the power is cut then you will not have an alarm sounding. It will trigger when power is restored but you can disable using the user code.

Have you the engineer code?

No, is it something that might be found online? Keypad is branded as Secure Watch HKC, not sure what make/model the alarm box is yet but will report back when I get it opened up. Is it easy enough to adjust them, I just want it set so the alarm doesnt go off for more than 10 or 15 minutes, I think it is around 30-40 minutes at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Cerco wrote: »
    If you take the battery out and the power is cut then you will not have an alarm sounding. It will trigger when power is restored but you can disable using the user code.

If there is no panel battery, or its dead, external bell will activate with no 12v hold off present when there is a power cut, assuming the bell box battery is OK.

Got the alarm box open and found that blue battery. Anyone know the name/sizing of it? It has 92037 on the side of it.

Also the connectors at each end, does the battery just pop out of them by hand or do I need some tool

[IMG][/img]battery.jpg
    image uploader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Got the alarm box open and found that blue battery. Anyone know the name/sizing of it? It has 92037 on the side of it.

Also the connectors at each end, does the battery just pop out of them by hand or do I need some tool

[IMG][/img]battery.jpg
    image uploader

:) That’s a capacitor! Do not touch that!

Battery should be down the bottom with 2 leads going to it, usually grey or black and it’ll be a beefy enough looking thing

:) That’s a capacitor! Do not touch that!

Battery should be down the bottom with 2 leads going to it, usually grey or black and it’ll be a beefy enough looking thing

ah right :o

Think I saw a big bulky box down the bottom alright but it wasnt the kind of battery I was expecting.

Will take a pic of it tomorrow anyway and throw it up

Think I saw a big bulky box down the bottom alright but it wasnt the kind of battery I was expecting.

Will the leads going to the battery be one black one red or can they be any colour. Will take a pic of it tomorrow anyway and throw it up

It's rectangular in shape, it will have writing on it, 12v ah etc etc.... There will be a lead clipping in at either end at the top. Or on one side clipping in opposite eachother... Depending

Anything on the green board is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Will take a pic of it tomorrow anyway and throw it up

It’ll 100% be that, take it out and bring it to your local electrical suppliers they’ll have similar and let them recycle the old one

You’d probably have gotten some bang if you touched that beefy capacitor!

Found it anyway, dont know how I missed it its that big but just saw the blue capacitor which looked like a battery and thought that must be it, doh

Seems pretty big, is its only function to run the alarm system in the event of a power cut?

• Advertisement

Found it anyway, dont know how I missed it its that big but just saw the blue capacitor which looked like a battery and thought that must be it, doh

Seems pretty big, is its only function to run the alarm system in the event of a power cut?

Yes it's a back up, it means if the power goes you will in theory still have a functional panel and alarm that will go off if set off.

If it's going off in power cuts then it's usually this is the issue as the bell box outside will have a back up too in most cases.

Advertisement