Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission Query

Options
  • 15-05-2021 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Evening all,

I have a query relating to planning permission. My partner and I own a house in a rural village but intend to build a house on his land in the same area where we are living, around fifteen minutes away. We would intend to sell our present house after building the new one. I never actually thought too much about this but recently saw a few posts in house building groups on Facebook stating that this already owning a house in the area is apparently very problematic when seeking planning permission as it's assumed as because you own a house, you don't have a "need" for a new house as such and likely won't get planning permission. Really quite deflated by seeing this, as unfortunately, building a house wasn't feasible for us financially so we purchased this one and intend to build in a few years.

I know that, ideally, we'd get the information from the county council but we don't plan to build for a few years anyway so there really is no point approaching them yet. I would however really welcome any feedback from other Boardsies' experience of this! I'm based in Monaghan if that makes any difference. Thanks a million in advance....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

goosecat wrote: »
    Evening all,

I have a query relating to planning permission. My partner and I own a house in a rural village but intend to build a house on his land in the same area where we are living, around fifteen minutes away. We would intend to sell our present house after building the new one. I never actually thought too much about this but recently saw a few posts in house building groups on Facebook stating that this already owning a house in the area is apparently very problematic when seeking planning permission as it's assumed as because you own a house, you don't have a "need" for a new house as such and likely won't get planning permission. Really quite deflated by seeing this, as unfortunately, building a house wasn't feasible for us financially so we purchased this one and intend to build in a few years.

I know that, ideally, we'd get the information from the county council but we don't plan to build for a few years anyway so there really is no point approaching them yet. I would however really welcome any feedback from other Boardsies' experience of this! I'm based in Monaghan if that makes any difference. Thanks a million in advance....

First off is talk to a local planning agent (architect/engineer/surveyor) or similar.
    Let them look into the site and see if it’s local needs or not.

If it is local needs then you need to start collating the data to demonstrate local needs compliance.

If you already have a house then you may not qualify. So best to get an idea now rather than waiting a few years to have your hopes dashed.

Advertisement