Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to view photos on iPhone

Options
  • 15-05-2021 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭

This will probably sound daft.
    I’m new to iPhone. Have my 12 now for a few months.
    I wouldn’t take a lot of photos on it but some here and there.
    But with all the what’s app groups I’m in, kids also sending pics on a linked iPad etc there are plenty to go through.
    Sometimes I just want to look for a photo I’ve taken but find it hard to search through.
    On my previous android devices there was a album which contained just the pictures I’ve taken.
    Now all I have is recents and what’s app. Recents seems to be every photo, including ones sent and received on iMessage and whatever else.

There is an option further down which have Live Photo’s videos selfies etc but none for just photos...... and even if it did I don’t think it would be just mine as the video album has loads of video I’ve been sent.

How do I just scroll through the pictures I’ve taken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Unfortunately you can’t in Photos.

In Photos on MacOS, there’s the ability to create Smart Albums based on metadata, so you could create an album that automatically contains all photos taken with a certain camera (or device), or even taken at a certain focal length or whether the flash was on or off.

Unfortunately the iOS version of Photos doesn’t support these, so not only can you not create them on an iPad or iPhone, but you can’t even see the ones created on a Mac. It’s frustrating, because the old iPhoto app (Photos predecessor) did support them - at least for viewing.

There’s a 3rd party photo library app called Photoweks that allows you to create such smart albums. I haven’t used it, and I don’t know if you need to pay the €3.49 for the full version to get the feature or not, but it’s free to download and try:

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/photowerks-smart-albums/id643351365

(I’ll also say that if you ever pay for an App and don’t like it, it’s very easy to get a refund from Apple, via the link in the email you get confirming your purchase. Any time I’ve done it it’s gone through no questions asked, but I’ve usually done it the same day or day after I’ve purchased the app).

There could be other apps that do it too, so it might be worth doing a search.

The only other suggestion I could make would be to create a folder called “iPad”, and each time you take a photo with the device, put it in this folder. Cumbersome, because it’s a manual process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s probably the most annoying thing since I switched to iPhone, well along with their crap calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Seve OB wrote: »
    It’s probably the most annoying thing since I switched to iPhone, well along with their crap calculator

What’s wrong with the calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭gmacww

Armonline wrote: »
    What’s wrong with the calculator?

It doesn't go to 11 dude!!!

for starters it cant handle doing a quick calculation, read up on it... apples answer is that the user needs to slow down
    but what i find most annoying is that once a calculation is done, its done. there is no review or correct option, so not only do you have to slow down, you have to watch every single button press like a hawk

my cheap ass nokia calculator was way better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭gmacww

I can honestly say I've never been in such a hurry using a calculator that my fingers moved faster than the processor can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gmacww wrote: »
    I can honestly say I've never been in such a hurry using a calculator that my fingers moved faster than the processor can handle.

It's not this, try bang in a number really quickly on the calculator, the animations take an age and if you're not careful you will make mistakes. You have to make a conscious decision that what you're putting in is correct. Other calculators aren't like this. It's an annoyance for sure, but I ain't busting out my Nokia 3210 in anger.

I can't remember the experience on my older phones, but number input and calculations on the 12 Pro default calculator are instantaneous.

Better than the calculator on the iPad anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don’t let WhatsApp anywhere near my photos. Anything I’m sent stays in its app. Only photos I take, download or are airdropped to me go into my Photos app. For family we use the Family album as part of Family Sharing and it automatically keeps it separate. It sounds like you’re using the same Apple ID on your personal phone and the shared iPad which is a terrible idea.

If you want a better calculator try using the built in Spotlight search. I find it really useful for calculations, unit conversions etc. PCalc is also good.

The op asked how to scroll through the pictures he has taken. The way to do that is the photos app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

OP, it is s also worth noting that you can set up “people” in the Photos app so that it will automatically recognise individuals and group their photos together.

There is a search function too. So if you want to see photos with a item in it you can e.g, “car” will show you photos with cars in them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The op asked how to scroll through the pictures he has taken. The way to do that is the photos app.

But their Photos app is polluted with a bunch of other images from other apps and an iPad used by others. It sounds like the iPad is on the same Apple ID and they let WhatsApp etc dump all their images in the Photos app too. Both of which are a terrible idea. Create a new Apple ID for the iPad and manage it as a child device via family sharing. Remove WhatsApp access to your photos.

5uspect wrote: »
    But their Photos app is polluted with a bunch of other images from other apps and an iPad used by others. It sounds like the iPad is on the same Apple ID and they let WhatsApp etc dump all their images in the Photos app too. Both of which are a terrible idea. Create a new Apple ID for the iPad and manage it as a child device via family sharing. Remove WhatsApp access to your photos.

the iPad is not a problem
    i will look at removing whats app access to photos
    if i do that through, would that mean i can't send a photo via whats app?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're not denying the What's App access to your photos but within chat settings you're switching off "Save to camera roll" so that not all pictures you receive would go to your Photos app.

So you can still access and send your pictures via What's App.

Why anybody would want all unsolicited photos, memes, gifs etc being automatically saved to Photos app library is beyond me.

Edit: murpho999 posted while I was (slowly) typing.

No, the two are separate.

In WhatsApp, click the cog icon to go into the app settings. Click on Chats, then turn off “Save to camera roll”. Pictures people send will still be available in WhatsApp, they just won’t automatically save to Photos too. You can save them
    Manually if you want on a case by case basis.

The setting for allowing WhstsApp to access Photos for sending to other people is in the WhatsApp section of the general iPhone settings app, so you can leave that on if you want.

nice one
    thanks for this guys

5uspect wrote: »
    Create a new Apple ID for the iPad and manage it as a child device via Family Sharing.

It’s worth noting that Family Sharing is restricted to 6 accounts in total (including your own one), so depending on how many actual kids you have, you might need to take current or future access into account. Also, you can’t remove child accounts from a Family until they’re aged 13 (unless you transfer them to another family), so be careful what “age” you give the account if you decide to make it a child one.

Advertisement