Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying to let an apartment in Dublin Citywest - Carrigmore Crescent

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

John1648 wrote: »
    I have received a few private message from some of the boards followers saying this:

- many persons commenting here have a strong anti-landlord agenda
    - they try to promote the anti-investment sentiments - working to - as they think, downplay the prices increases, predicting doomsday for landlords, owners
    - many promote a certain anti-foreigners agenda (would not apply to me though, but being expatriated, feels the same here)
    - many SF voters

Accordingly, I was told that many would discourage me from buying, so that there less demand - and presumably they would get a higher chance to buy for less.

not sure this is true.

But let me tell you one thing - I planned to buy in 2014, when prices were 50% from what they are now - I have checked with a few persons, and - surprise - they were VERY negative to the idea of buying.

essentially their message was - soon apartments will be handed over almost free of charge.

I did not buy back then. I was priced out of Tallaght, City West, Ballymun, Finglas. Now, Balbriggan is falling too.

Perhaps I came too late now - and I have listened the negative advise back in 2014. Hey even in 2019, I could have done something. What I could have bought with 150 000, now is 200 000 and growing.

And if you open my other threads here posted in December 2019, you will see that - this is all documented, all the comments I have received. I can only blame myself for listening to the kind of "advice" some provided here. So I incurred a 50 000 loss in a go.

people on forums like this tend to be bearish on questions like this , you really should not be relying on the views of people on this forum or any forum to reach a decision on buying

the yields on irish property are very appealing but the law is too biased in favour of tenants , the risk of encountering a delinquent tenant is high in sofar as if you do end up with one , you have an extremely long and costly battle ahead when it comes to dealing with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    people on forums like this tend to be bearish on questions like this , you really should not be relying on the views of people on this forum or any forum to reach a decision on buying

the yields on irish property are very appealing but the law is too biased in favour of tenants , the risk of encountering a delinquent tenant is high in sofar as if you do end up with one , you have an extremely long and costly battle ahead when it comes to dealing with them

And similarly the rules in favour of non paying mortgage holders cost mortgage payers hundreds a year.

So both renters and mortgage holders are paying for the non payers in juicy premium costs.

In the new rules the government are introducing they should also introduce a three month non payment clause where no genuine attempt at payment or solution is made and repossession can be made without further recourse to legal action

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I have received a few private message from some of the boards followers saying this:

- many persons commenting here have a strong anti-landlord agenda
    - they try to promote the anti-investment sentiments - working to - as they think, downplay the prices increases, predicting doomsday for landlords, owners
    - many promote a certain anti-foreigners agenda (would not apply to me though, but being expatriated, feels the same here)
    - many SF voters

Accordingly, I was told that many would discourage me from buying, so that there less demand - and presumably they would get a higher chance to buy for less.

not sure this is true.

But let me tell you one thing - I planned to buy in 2014, when prices were 50% from what they are now - I have checked with a few persons, and - surprise - they were VERY negative to the idea of buying.

essentially their message was - soon apartments will be handed over almost free of charge.

I did not buy back then. I was priced out of Tallaght, City West, Ballymun, Finglas. Now, Balbriggan is falling too.

Perhaps I came too late now - and I have listened the negative advise back in 2014. Hey even in 2019, I could have done something. What I could have bought with 150 000, now is 200 000 and growing.

And if you open my other threads here posted in December 2019, you will see that - this is all documented, all the comments I have received. I can only blame myself for listening to the kind of "advice" some provided here. So I incurred a 50 000 loss in a go.

I dont think there is anything else to say here. You have been looking years and just watching. Either you are just messing about and have no interest in ever buying or are in capable of making a decision . You could sit out the next 10 years just looking but I sure if prices dropped you would wait thinking they might drop some more. There is nothing wrong with fence sitting lots of people do it, but there is no advice left for your procrastinating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭John1648

Mad_maxx wrote: »

How about buying just to at least preserve this hard-earned capital?

To stop the bleeding due to price increases? To stop the time eating out the funds through inflation?

In case no rents will be collectible ...

I am told Balbriggan not a good place to buy .... as during recession, apts costed 35 - 50 k there ...

Can we ever go back to that?

Janet Yellen says - no more financial crises in our lifetime ...

In which case, one way for the prices - up and then - up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Can somebody put these threads out of their misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How about buying just to at least preserve this hard-earned capital?

To stop the bleeding due to price increases? To stop the time eating out the funds through inflation?

In case no rents will be collectible ...

I am told Balbriggan not a good place to buy .... as during recession, apts costed 35 - 50 k there ...

Can we ever go back to that?

Janet Yellen says - no more financial crises in our lifetime ...

In which case, one way for the prices - up and then - up

you might as well just invest in a REIT if preserving capital is your only goal

Advertisement