Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company refusing to fix buzzer

Options
  • 16-05-2021 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, hoping for some help with an issue I'm having with my management company directors who have told our managing agents that they are not allowed to carry out repairs on the main panel of doorbells/buzzers in our building.

My buzzer is not working but my neighbours does so it's not a building wide issue. I got my handset checked and its working so issue is with the main panel. I've asked for the managing agent to get the panel checked to see why my buzzer isn't working but they came back to say the management company directors have instructed them not to carry out the works.

My lease says they are required to keep all common fixtures and fittings (including wiring and cables) in working order. I reminded them of this requirement but no movement from them. Other than hiring a solicitor to chase them what are my options, can I get it fixed and deduct the cost from my management fee?

Thanks in advance for any help offered:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

oisin_reme wrote: »
    can I get it fixed and deduct the cost from my management fee?

No.

The moment you stop paying the fees in full, you make the problem even worse (and you will end up having to pay them no matter what in the end).

Your best course of action is speak to the directors. Do you know any of them? The main thing is to establish the reason why this repair has not been approved. There could be legitimate reasons (they might be about to approve a complete overhaul of the intercom system, so feel paying for a temp fix isn't worth it, or maybe the management company is broke and they are waiting on people to pay the fees before they will have the money!

Quite simply - there is nothing you can do until you understand the reason why.

Was anything said at the last AGM? When is the next AGM?

Avoid the legal route, or even talk of a legal route until all other options are exhausted (it forces the other side to "hunker down" and spend unnecessary money, and can cause turmoil in a management company). Remember - you are part of the management company! It is in your interest that issues are addressed peacefully and cheaply!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Directors are your neighbours, or at least absentee owners. Their names and addresses are public by law, so ask one or all of them what the story is.

It could be as simple as the durability of a particular contractors work is not up to scratch and the Directors are not sending any more work their way until an alternative supplier is found. As a Director myself I've had that exact experience.

Advertisement