Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exempted development and 25 sq. m.

Options
  • 16-05-2021 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

The exact meaning at the back of the house?
    Obviously it doesnt mean at the front of the house.
    But can the 25 sq.m include an area to the side of a rear extension?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,378 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would need to be well set back from the front elevation.

It may be worthwhile having a chat with the planning department in the council to see what they would accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

PMBC wrote: »
    The exact meaning at the back of the house?
    Obviously it doesnt mean at the front of the house.
    But can the 25 sq.m include an area to the side of a rear extension?

Are you referring to
    1. A garage/shed being exempt must be less than 25 sqm or
    2. Any extension must leave at least 25 sq.m of garden space to be considered exempt.
    I believe the following are the rules but could be mistaken:
    If 1., such a garage cannot be positioned forward of the front wall of the house.
    If 2., the remaining garden space can include any space to the front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Simple answer, No.
    The conditions attached to the exemptions under Class 1 clearly state "rear" and any side projection would not tally with that. There are multiple ABP cases where this has been referred and despite the argument of Sect.4.1.h of the Act, ABP have stated that it is not exempt...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Perhaps I didnt explain fully. So here goes.
    An extension less than 40 sq.m is proposed fully to the rear of a house. The house, proposed extension and garden are rectangular. The rear width of the house is , say, 5 m. The width, outside to outside, of the rectangular extension is 3.5m.
    Can the remaining width of the garden i.e. 1.5m be included in the 25 sq.m.

Are you referring to
    1. A garage/shed being exempt must be less than 25 sqm or
    2. Any extension must leave at least 25 sq.m of garden space to be considered exempt.
    I believe the following are the rules but could be mistaken:
    If 1., such a garage cannot be positioned forward of the front wall of the house.
    If 2., the remaining garden space can include any space to the front of the house.

Prospectors -
    Its 2 - see my other post. I thought the remaining 25 sqm had to be at the rear of the house??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The crux of the matter here is the phrase "private open space"

If you need to include the area to the front of the dwelling to make up the 25sq m open space, you need to determine if it's "private" or not.

Does private mean solely for use by the owner, or does private mean not visible to all??

Personally is be happy to argue the first definition in court

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

Prospectors -
    Its 2 - see my other post. I thought the remaining 25 sqm had to be at the rear of the house??
    Apologies, I'd say you're correct, the 25 sq.m space must be left remaining at rear of house

Thanks Sydthebeat as always.
    No there was no plan to include front garden in 25 sq.m and since its semi-Radburn layout (just a small short party/gossip wall at front, no front boundary wall) it doesnt feel private although its not public either.
    My query is can all of the rear garden area, no matter how narrow, be included in the determination of the 25 sqm?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks Sydthebeat as always.
    No there was no plan to include front garden in 25 sq.m and since its semi-Radburn layout (just a small short party/gossip wall at front, no front boundary wall) it doesnt feel private although its not public either.
    My query is can all of the rear garden area, no matter how narrow, be included in the determination of the 25 sqm?

Yes it can, once to the rear I believe.
    A 1m strip to the side of the extension at the rear can be counted but the 1m strip along the side (side passage) can’t be.

ok, that seems very sensible to me.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Reading back through the thread today I noticed post referring to the inclusion of private front garden in the 25 sqm.
    So I read the regs. - Schedule 2 Class 1, Column 2 (5) -and it seems to me that it reads clearly as meaning private space at the rear of the house!
    Perhaps I've misread/misinterpreted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Reading back through the thread today I noticed post referring to the inclusion of private front garden in the 25 sqm.
    So I read the regs. - Schedule 2 Class 1, Column 2 (5) -and it seems to me that it reads clearly as meaning private space at the rear of the house!
    Perhaps I've misread/misinterpreted.

You cannot count the front garden. Full stop.

Advertisement