Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS4 hard drive that’ll then work on PS5

• 16-05-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a hard drive for my PS4.

I’ll most likely upgrade to PS5 in a year or so so I want whatever I buy now to work on it as well.

Bigger the better.

The PS4 that I own is a 1tb pro version in case that matters.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

You know that the PS5 uses SSD which is faster and more expensive right?

Given your requirements I suggest you frame your search the other way round. What PS5 compatible drives can you afford that will work on PS4.

If you just want something for PS4 you'll get a 2TB external USB 3 HD for under a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

athlone573 wrote: »
    You know that the PS5 uses SSD which is faster and more expensive right?

Given your requirements I suggest you frame your search the other way round. What PS5 compatible drives can you afford that will work on PS4.

If you just want something for PS4 you'll get a 2TB external USB 3 HD for under a ton.

Hear what you’re saying but it’s same thing really.

Bottom line is I want it to work with both.

Now for the PS4 and then when I upgrade to PS5 that it still works.

As for budget I haven’t really thought about it. €100ish maybe. Will to go higher if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Maybe you know this, but the extra storage situation on PS4 and PS5 is different.

PS4:
    Plug in external HDD.
    You can move games to the drive and play them from there.

PS5:
    Plus in external HDD.
    You can move PS4 games to the drive and play them from there.
    You can move PS5 games to the drive but can't play them from there. Have to move them back to internal storage to play.

Future:
    Add extra internal SSD that will work for PS5 games. This isnt enabled on the PS5 yet, there is a slot inside the machine but can't be used. There is also no word on what drives will be supported.

As for options, but a good brand, WD, Samsung... I'm not sure the different variations of drive makes much difference. It's not like buying a HDD for a gaming PC. Buy the biggest brand name drive you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

Posted a similar suggestion recently somewhere else so hope it will help you decide. For 100 euro you can get Samsung 870 Qvo SSD 1TB (you could also go with 2TB) which should be a good expansion to your 1TB internal PS4 and once you get ps5 the same drive is perfect for that price right now and performs really well. Digital foundry did testing a few weeks back so have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBteyaSCTfU&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

you will also need Sabrent USB-SATA adapter but they are cheap - amazon links are in the video description. I've got that setup recently and so far I'm super happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks guys, that’s all the info I needed. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement