Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Eastbound On Custom House Quay

Options
  • 16-05-2021 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I've rarely driven down the quays in Dublin and was looking at a route I need to take on Google Maps.

I noticed that instead of driving straight down Custom House Quay, it is routing me around the other side of the Custom House and then back onto the quay again.

I'm almost certain I drove straight down it a few years ago. I don't see signs or markings on streetview that indicates I can't do that anymore.

Just wondering if that has changed or is it a mistake on Google Maps. No big deal, doesn't affect my journey at all, just curious.

dublin.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I've rarely driven down the quays in Dublin and was looking at a route I need to take on Google Maps.

I noticed that instead of driving straight down Custom House Quay, it is routing me around the other side of the Custom House and then back onto the quay again.

I'm almost certain I drove straight down it a few years ago. I don't see signs or markings on streetview that indicates I can't do that anymore.

Just wondering if that has changed or is it a mistake on Google Maps. No big deal, doesn't affect my journey at all, just curious.

dublin.jpg

Ignore google maps, if your planning on driving straight then just stay on the quays, you would only need to go around the custom house if you were planning on crossing the Liffey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless the quay is shut for one of those festivals which is unlikely in covid times, just drive straight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It seems they have forgotten to lift the last closure, which was probably the 2019/20 NYE festival, from the mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How is this coming up as a new thread with new replies? I could have sworn this was discussed months ago. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How is this coming up as a new thread with new replies? I could have sworn this was discussed months ago. :confused:

It was, but asked by someone else, I assume. Google have not fixed it.

• Advertisement

Thank feck, I though I had finally lost it :D
    Originally thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Thank feck, I though I had finally lost it :D
    Originally thread

Ah sorry, I didn't see that thread before I created this one.

Ah sorry, I didn't see that thread before I created this one.

Bar making me question my sanity, you've nothing to apologize for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    ... you would only need to go around the custom house if you were planning on crossing the Liffey
    ...or if you're in an over-height vehicle. Perhaps Google is defaulting to prevent bridge strikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

...or if you're in an over-height vehicle. Perhaps Google is defaulting to prevent bridge strikes!

?? You pass under the railway going either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vandriver wrote: »
    ?? You pass under the railway going either way.
    Yes, but as far as I can recall, there's more clearance by going around the Customs House.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Yes, but as far as I can recall, there's more clearance by going around the Customs House.

Apparently 27 cm more clearance taking the loop.I stand corrected.

Advertisement