Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room from person with disability

Options
  • 16-05-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

My sister lives in a lovely large house near motorway and large kildare towns. She has a mild intellectual disability. The house bills are too high for her and her security is a huge worry for us.
    I would love to find a suitable person(s) to take a room for a lower rent than normal, eg someone working in social care. Has anyone any advice or been in this situation and how did you solve it?
    My sister has a carer in for about 2 hours daily but this is more for shopping assistance, companionship and security as she is very capable and security savvy. Family live nearby also.
    How would i vet this person and should I keep it short term to see if it works? Wud one female be best or wud two be better? Broadband is installed but it’s not great signal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

What about going through an agency like thehomeshare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Solli wrote:
    I would love to find a suitable person(s) to take a room for a lower rent than normal, eg someone working in social care.

So basically you are looking for an unpaid live in carer?

Which is fine if you can set out the duties expected for the lower rent.

However it sounds like you want an Au Pair but with no pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So basically you are looking for an unpaid live in carer?

Which is fine if you can set out the duties expected for the lower rent.

However it sounds like you want an Au Pair but with no pay.

Or an AuPair who will pay rent.
    The vetting you look for is a two way street: your idea of mild might be someone else's Elm Street lite.
    IMO, you are trying to mix two incompatible ideas here: a cash flow and a carer.

Step one: sell up and move into a smaller A1 rated house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It seems to me like the OP is just looking to set up a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The sister gets an income stream to help with the bills and the renter gets a reduced rent.

There is no mention of the renter being required to do any work as such or to be a carer.

I think a mature single person would suit best.

If you can get someone suitable it sounds like it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would it be good to post in the caring forum? I don’t think you could charge the person much if any rent. Might be best to try find someone via word of mouth. Potential for exploitation of your sister is high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

would you not be concerned about security WITh someone in - someone who might take advantage of her disability or good nature? Borrowing money, not paying the rent, moving in a BF etc.

If the main issues are outgoings and lonliness might there be someone she gets along with from a course or care centre that she and you know who you might feel happy moving in with her - as a paying lodger - it might help another family who could relax a bit and have a bit of a break themselves while knowing their daughter was in a caring environment and living with someone else who was possibly likeminded and whose family would also be there to help out if there was an issue.

I certainly would only move someone of the same sex in. And no overnight guests.

Is your sister involved with any support services?

If so, maybe talk to them about finding someone suitable to share with her?

It could be another person with similar disability, who'd be only too delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://thehomeshare.ie/

Worth having a look at but might not be exactly what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

Suggesting that someone who works in social care might be suitable implies (to me) they might be expected to provide some level of care to your sister. Not sure how that might be taken if after a day at work you have to work when you get "home".

But I do see ads like this on Facebook, usually on pages for carers or similar. Normally rent is heavily discounted and duties are clearly defined.

If it's purely about security/safety, maybe a security system might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Contact a service that provides support for the condition your sister has they may be able to advise on suitable supports for the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Thanks to everyone for your courteous and helpful replies. Homeshare has not replied even tho I contacted them twice. Anyway I’m giving up this idea as it’s just not workable. I know I’m panicking a bit. Will meet her service provider this week and get advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement