Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel 2021

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

6 of us back of West Pier last night, 6pm on.......nothing.

Quiet windy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RebelRebel2

Plenty of mackerel caught from the pier in Bllycotton Co Cork at high tide yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Saw 3 lads fishing from the cliffs on Downpatrick head earlier today. They had caught 30-40 mackerel between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Yeah for mackerel you want to be fishing 2 hours either side of high tide.. but low tide works well for bass and sea trout, especially around estuaries! Also keep at it, if fishing teaches you one thing it's patience, it might take a couple of sessions before you get a fish but when you eventually do, it will be well worth it! Blanks are very much expected when fishing, especially when you are a beginner and as you gain more experience you should be able to reduce the frequency of your blanks ;)

Loads of mackerel in Howth today lads! Good size too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Cheers , I’m fishing in the North east. I’ve only seen one being caught. They seem very scarce. When spinning, should I be letting the lure sink? I’m getting told both . When I let it sink, I just get a load of weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From a boat I always would have always caught them about midwater, never at the surface. That would have been with feathers though.

It all depends, I've heard certain venues the mackerel are on the bottom, such as at clogherhead. I usually mix it up starting off by letting my spinner sink to the bottom first then start retrieving slowly so it's just off the bottom, and speeding it up with each cast so it's higher up, then I might switch to sink and draw which is letting it sink and then lifting the rod tip and repeat (you should only do this if the ground is fairly clean or you're likely to get snagged). You have to search out the water column sometimes, because the mackerel could be anywhere really!

Also if a spinner isn't working I'd switch out to feathers for a bit since there's more hooks and more weight it casts further increasing your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

im starting to think there is no fish in the sea at all! None being caught at my location unfortunately even by accomplished fishermen. What is going on?

There's plenty, just need to be in the right place at the right time with the right strategy.. There's a good few bass being caught in the North Dublin estuaries this week! I heard of plenty of mackerel being caught in Skerries last week too. Last hour of light when high tide is at sunset is one of the best times to fish for most species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Spent 2 hours on the back of the west pier Dun Laoghaire this morning just as the tide started to drop, nothing happened for the first hour and then the fry arrived and the macks had them cornered. Was using the reliable german sprat and nabbed 6 in as many casts but by God they were small, some no bigger than sardines, all returned. Quite a few bashers further down towards the lighthouse, I'm sure they went home with full bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Is there a good chance of survival if you return them quickly? Can they find their school again?

Ive thrown back small ones occasionally myself and it would bother me slightly if they were doomed from the outset. I read somewhere about a coating, that if touched at all means they'll die a day or so later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wouldnt be an expert on survival but they have a better chance than if they were in the freezer !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve got a gift voucher for a Howth boat charter.

Is it best to wait til next summer or is there still good pickings out there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

No if you touch them they are going to die, no way around it find a mate that dead baits for pike they’ll be glad of them

Advertisement