Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to convert a van to camper?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

OPzS flooded lead give 1500 cycles to 80% cycle depth they're about a fifth of the price.

Can you send a link to these please?

RE getting a SQI to check your camper, you might find that insurers have their own SQI that needs to check the camper.

Revenue don't care about access, gas, wiring etc. They're just looking at furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Thanks Shoog.

Can I also ask about buying a camper in NI and bringing it in. Im looking at a Caravelle also but wondering what VRT will be its 1995 1.9L. Its also got an Oil leak so should i be worried.

thanks

Also can you put a pop roof on a T4. Totally new to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Oil leak can be significant or very minor, sort of points to the fact that maintenance has been let slip. I have repaired three oil leaks on mine and one diesel leak on the injector pump any one could have destroyed the engine/gearbox if not attended to. Its a good idea to have a mechanic check out any oil leak and offer an opinion before pulling the trigger. The breather pipe from the sump to the head is a classic for going brittle and cracking and it will coat the whole front of the engine with thick oil residues - this one is easy to fix and unlikely to do serious damage if oil levels are closely monitored. Some oil leaks can be very expensive to put right.
    Pop tops can be bought for about €2K but you have to be very confident to fit yourself. If you have to get it done then expect to be around €4K.
    Don't know much about the VRT on NI imports.

I would opt for a Caravelle over a basic panel van any day of the week, likely to be much less hard life and you save on the cost of the window installs, the only thing they don't have is lift up back doors which can be useful for extra awning space. However most people seem to rip out the panels and upgrade the insulation on the Caravelle since its only fiberglass as stock.

Shoog

Thanks again Shoog for this great info. very much appreciated. Ive been quoted between 4 to 6k to put in a pop up roof. Also do the insurers cover pop ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Tomal wrote: »
    Thanks again Shoog for this great info. very much appreciated. Ive been quoted between 4 to 6k to put in a pop up roof. Also do the insurers cover pop ups.
    A professional install should be no problem with insurance, but ultimately it would be the SQI who would assess whether it was adequately installed. What is however more likely is that most camper insurers will refuse to insure a camper without a pop top or fixed raised roof. They all tend to insist on having a minimum height of 1.8M in the back. There are exceptions to this, but don't bank on it so plan for meeting this "guidance" requirement.

Fibreglass high top roofs work out about half the price, this one is made in Ireland:

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/roof-volkswagen-transporter-high-roof-swb-amp-lwb/27900936

Shoog

Advertisement