Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybe moving to Cork

Options
  • 16-05-2021 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I've an interview for a job in Cork city soon.

Applied for the job because of wanting to get out of Dublin. Really just fed up paying silly money in rent and no prospect of buying anything decent. I'm not from Cork, but imagined it would be better than Dublin. I've visited a couple of times and liked it.

Now in 2 minds. My sister spent some time in Cork and said she didn't like it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Good luck!

What part of Cork did you sister live in?

I think cork is fantastic. I’ve lived in a good few places, both rurally and big cities abroad, and absolutely love the scale of Cork so settled here. The river at the heart of it , small businesses, nightlife, ease of getting around, sport facilities, community. Nothing ever out of reach.

It’s not particularly cheap here though, depending on the area if you’re buying property.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

notAMember wrote: »
    Good luck!

What part of Cork did you sister live in?

I think cork is fantastic. I’ve lived in a good few places, both rurally and big cities abroad, and absolutely love the scale of Cork so settled here. The river at the heart of it , small businesses, nightlife, ease of getting around, sport facilities, community. Nothing ever out of reach.

It’s not particularly cheap here though, depending on the area if you’re buying property.

I second that. My work commute takes me ten minutes. And I can be in the countryside in about the same. Lot safer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Best of luck with the interview!

I'm not from Cork but have been living here for 6 years now and I love living here. Found it very easy to meet people and make friends. Everything is close by and convenient. West Cork is beautiful and only a short drive away when you want to get out to the coast or the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

why didn't your sis like Cork?

I am not from Cork but been living here for 14 years.. while I still feel like a blow in at times, I have many great friends from Cork.. and its a great location... beaches and mountains within a 30-60 min drive.. I lived in Dublin before - for 3 years - and while I loved it, I hated how long it took to get to a nice place for a stroll of a sunny eve.. that was enough of a reason for me to move - living in a city is convenient for me but I need quiet time in the country.. (can take the girl out of the country... and all that)

And with regards to the city, it doesn't feel big - like a big town really..

Best of luck with the job..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Thank you for all the positive answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just for the sake of my own experiences..

- Rents in Cork aren't cheap either and supply in the more popular areas is very limited - been keeping an eye out myself lately and trying not to have to look as far out as the likes of Fermoy (commute + motorway toll costs would add up)

- The N40 is worse than the M50 at times, plus it feels like no-one indicates most of the time (which personally drives me mad). They're soon to start redesigning the roundabout/junctions at the tunnel so that'll make things worse when things get back to normal I'd imagine

- Public transport infrastructure isn't great - no DART or LUAS remember and reliant on Bus Eireann.. although the Park & Ride service is fantastic and should be copied in Dublin at all main entry points to the M50

- Parking in the city can be a pain plus they still use paper "discs" that you have to buy in shops and scratch off rather than parking meters or pay by text

- My impression is that the weather can be a lot more variable and stormy at times than Dublin, likely due to geography

But yes, if you can get past all that and find somewhere reasonable to live, it is a good spot (especially if you have kids) for things like beaches, parks, woods etc. My own sister wasn't overly impressed with the town though - had a bit of an "is this it" reaction the first time, but then she's always lived in Dub herself so there is that adjustment to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jcb21

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just for the sake of my own experiences.

- Parking in the city can be a pain plus they still use paper "discs" that you have to buy in shops and scratch off rather than parking meters or pay by text

You can pay by phone or the cork park by phone app. If you search parking on the city council website you will find the links. Just be aware that they charge €1 every time you add funds to your account

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Rent is bananas in Cork too unfortunately

Advertisement