Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back To Barrytown

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Why is 'The Family ' never mentioned when talking about barrytown or the trilogy? Its an excellent addition to them. Charlo was a household name at the time of its showing on TV. But I think someone wants to bury it.

It's completely separate, the trilogy books are all based around the one family, the Rabittes. The Family is based on the book 'The Woman Who Walked Into Doors', very dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Typical ****in RTE, no plans to show The Van the miserable c*nts.

It's a shame it won't be shown
    Glaceon wrote: »
    A very different feeling from the producer and director in this one versus The Snapper. Almost sounded like they regretted how it came out.

Yes Doyle almost came across as embarrassed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This.

I read the 3 books at the time, and haven't done so since, but I always remembered The Van as the best book.

The film was poorly made I thought at the time, seemed low budget, TV show quality rather than movie quality. Just caught the end of tonight's show, and it seemed they all regretted making this film at all, all except Roddy perhaps.

the guy who played Meaneys business partner was a poor actor and this let down the movie i thought , i dont think he was even an " actor " or at least was very small time ? , didnt feature at all in the docu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Donal O' Kelly played Bimbo & he is most definitely an actor.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641525/?ref_=tt_cl_t_2
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

DvB wrote: »
    Donal O' Kelly played Bimbo & he is most definitely an actor.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641525/?ref_=tt_cl_t_2

very small time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    very small time though

Compared to who ?
    The vast majority of actors get no further than being solid members of a West End cast or playing "toilet attendant no.4" in some bigger production.

He is no Colm Meaney but he was good in the few things I saw him in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

the guy who played Meaneys business partner was a poor actor and this let down the movie i thought , i dont think he was even an " actor " or at least was very small time ? , didnt feature at all in the docu

Yeah, i agree. Watched it on Kodi box last night. Still got more laughs from The Snapper.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Compared to who ?
    The vast majority of actors get no further than being solid members of a West End cast or playing "toilet attendant no.4" in some bigger production.

He is no Colm Meaney but he was good in the few things I saw him in

The Friendly Face in I Went Down...

The Friendly Face in I Went Down...

Never seen it but looks like something ide be into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bimbo was great, well played by Donal, worked good with Colm as mates

• Advertisement

Never seen it but looks like something ide be into

It's actually class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Have watched the 1st 2 parts.. both v v good.. not a big fan of The Commitments - but ADORE The Snapper.. every line is class.. and every scene.. soo good..

Not seen The Van - gonna watch it before part 3

Are they not showing it on RTE?

I know its on youtube - but its a cam video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes thought The Van would be shown this weekend being a bank holiday weekend. No sign of it on VM1 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Interesting that Stephen Frears noticed the increasing prosperity — however small — of the country when he came back to film 'The Van'. Colm Meaney only briefly touched on it, but the contrast in filming those movies is something I would have like to heard more of.

I remember seeing the trailer of the film when we were brought to see Michael Collins at the time, while in school. There was something anachronistic about it... Italia 90 was only six years previously, but it felt an eternity ago to a young teenager. I thought we were past all that horses in suburban fields malarkey and hoped for something a bit different. I still like the film though.

Doyle's four part 'Family' is worthy of a retrospective. I remember the buzz about it being along the lines of 'The Snapper' and then everybody being shocked by the content of the series. It's his grittiest and most disturbing piece for television or the big screen.

I think it's touched slightly upon in the book, Jimmy goes into the city centre one day and he starts to notice the young wans walking around after their office jobs (but again the book is set in 1990).
    I have never seen the film of The Van the whole way through, but I think the book is a bit more melancholy than the others. As others have said, it looks at Jimmy's unemployment, looking after the snapper and there's a scene where one of his sons gives him money for a pint.

I think it's touched slightly upon in the book, Jimmy goes into the city centre one day and he starts to notice the young wans walking around after their office jobs (but again the book is set in 1990).
    I have never seen the film of The Van the whole way through, but I think the book is a bit more melancholy than the others. As others have said, it looks at Jimmy's unemployment, looking after the snapper and there's a scene where one of his sons gives him money for a pint.

In the book there's the few kids, the family from the commitments is the same one the whole way through. I remember that part you're talking about, initially he was delighted with the money but then pride kicked in, its very well written

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Does anyone know why the main family is the Rabittes in all 3 books, but in the films there was the Rabittes, the Curleys, and Larry’s family (whatever their surname was!)?

Why not the same family throughout, seeing as Colm Meaney was the dad each time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Does anyone know why the main family is the Rabittes in all 3 books, but in the films there was the Rabittes, the Curleys, and Larry’s family (whatever their surname was!)?

Why not the same family throughout, seeing as Colm Meaney was the dad each time?

Different studios, so the character names from The Commitments were basically owned so they had to change for the other two.

Different studios, so the character names from The Commitments were basically owned so they had to change for the other two.

Roddy Doyle wanted to separate them

Roddy Doyle wanted to separate them

Really ? It was always reported as the above story

• Advertisement

Really ? It was always reported as the above story

Could easily be both but I've heard Roddy Doyke speak about it previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

very small time though

The man played Brainer in Paths To Freedom.
    FFS. For this work alone the man deserves an Oscar.

Advertisement