Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolt Wear.

Options
  • 17-05-2021 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I don't see any information on rifle bolts wearing. Is the steel so hard that wear is not an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd say a lot depends on the quality of the steel, and how it is finished.
    I have a 1966 Anschutz that must have hundreds of thousands if not millions of rounds fired through it, and the bolt is worn but not so badly it affects the function of the rifle.
    Newer Chinese made stuff is very rough and may not last as long even if the steel is treated appropriately because of surface wear due to the machining, at the very least it will take a long time to wear the action smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

If it's clean and well lubricated it'll basically last forever , well outlast you or I
    The problems come in with dirty rifles and bolts I've seen a couple of old 22 semi autos with scratches galore over the bolts due to them never being cleaned and having grit in the action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Most of the wearing surfaces are on the outside so lubrication can be difficult as I always remove the bolt when not in use.

Advertisement