Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Also fookers parking right up against you when there's a thousand other free spaces.

I absolutely HATE bad parking. But I get such glee from parking mere inches from a driver door when someone parks over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If you're in Wexford, shop assistants are legally obliged to address you as "hun"

Same as in Burningham, Alabamarama?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

This country’s obsession about owning property.Countless articles in the papers about it,programs on the tele too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I don’t get why a lot of Eurovision contestants sing in English. What’s wrong with their own language?

What language do you think 99.9% of worldwide pop hits are sung in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Harry and Meghan quit the Royal Family because they wanted a quiet, private life over in LA. Now they are popping up all over the place, giving interviews to Oprah and the media, the same media they say is toxic, on all manner of topics from royal life to mental health. Hypocritical much?
    They either want a quiet life or they want the spotlight, make your mind up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The interest in the British Royal family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prev.

News and media

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Spacific wrote: »
    Why shop assistants feel the need to call you "pet" or "love"
    I love it when that happens. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Greyfox wrote: »
    For me all that matters is good characters you can relate to and once you have that i find the actual genre doesnt matter....Mine would be....
    Art and poetry....

You realise fiction is art? As is filmmaking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Fratello wrote: »
    Place is packed, guinness is €9 pint why?

Where in the jaysus is a nightclub charging 9 quid for a pint?

Even the biggest tourist trap Oirish pubs in Temple Bar draw a line at about 8 quid.

Sky King wrote: »
    You realise fiction is art? As is filmmaking?

Excepting the fact that 95% of fillums are filler. Another 4% may contain the germ of a decent work, the remaining 1% is top notch.

Art is bandied about too gingerly as a descriptive for film. It may be Art when outstanding, but a lot is rinse and repeat, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Excepting the fact that 95% of fillums are filler. Another 4% may contain the germ of a decent work, the remaining 1% is top notch.

Art is bandied about too gingerly as a descriptive for film. It may be Art when outstanding, but a lot is rinse and repeat, unfortunately.

Film is a commodity, same as music and books,
    Anyone claiming its art are just being pompous

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I thought Canada Goose was a drink!

Right. I also thought Ransomware was them dainty little cups and saucers you find at flea markets that were once made in Stoke-On-Trent.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Women's obsession with Penney's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Why some men listen to radio shows they utterly despise just so they can complain about them on the internet. Same goes for the Late Late Show etc.

Like there is so many other things you could be watching, listening to, or doing. Is it a bonding thing or something? Some form of masochism?

Has me confused.

Simple. Its Friday night. End of a long week and all that so you have to put in the 'quality time. The wife insists on watching LLS probably because her mother is watching it too and they will talk about tomorrow morning. . Its utter torture due to the t₩@t in the host's chair but you are imprisoned in yours. You cannot believe what RT is getting away with. The only solace is to vent. Simple.

• Advertisement

How Fast & the Furious is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Sky and the F1 grid commemorating the anniversary of George Floyd.......'son, brother, thug, drug addict, convicted armed felon'

How Fast & the Furious is still going.

It's 2 hours of pure escapism that doesn't have people with superpowers or elves

People who dress head to toe in sports gear but smoke like trains

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People's obsession with IKEA, particularly on a Sunday. Drop the kids into the playgroup. Go shopping for flat pack furniture that will make the inside of your house look like everyone else's. Pick up loads of shíte you don't need like fake plants and scented candles and lightbulbs with plants in them. Pick the kids up and go for meatballs in the aeroplane quality food restaurant. Go home and some poor sod has to spend hours putting together furniture. A dead man wouldn't want that life. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Sky and the F1 grid commemorating the anniversary of George Floyd.......'son, brother, thug, drug addict, convicted armed felon'

In your opinion did George Floyd deserve to be killed, face down in the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I'm your opinion did George Floyd deserve to be killed, face down in the street?

Course not, but neither is the death of every other Tom, Dick or Harry commemorated .........if that was the road to go down, how about former footballer Dalian Atkinson who died while been tasered by Police ............suppose his death never caught a populace move

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Film is a commodity, same as music and books,
    Anyone claiming its art are just being pompous

And paintings and sculptures aren't commodities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's 2 hours of pure escapism that doesn't have people with superpowers
    Yeah I'm not so sure about that. :pac:

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Why some men listen to radio shows they utterly despise just so they can complain about them on the internet. Same goes for the Late Late Show etc.

Like there is so many other things you could be watching, listening to, or doing. Is it a bonding thing or something? Some form of masochism?

Has me confused.

Why do you think it's only men? Don't worry, I know you won't reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Simple. Its Friday night. End of a long week and all that so you have to put in the 'quality time. The wife insists on watching LLS probably because her mother is watching it too and they will talk about tomorrow morning. . Its utter torture due to the t₩@t in the host's chair but you are imprisoned in yours. You cannot believe what RT is getting away with. The only solace is to vent. Simple.

That explains why you watch it, F, but a lot of these guys don’t have a wife, or partner, and will still “torture” themselves watching it. Some will even announce, before the show has even started, that they have their “barbs” ready to go. Doesn’t matter if the show is good, or not, they’ll be slating it, the host, RTÉ and Noel King regardless.

Doesn’t explain the radio side though. Lads listening back to Newstalk’s ‘Breakfast Show’ later in the evening so they can give out about Dr. Ciara Kelly. Obviously because they aren’t up when the show airs but, you’d have to admit, that is fairly deranged “behaviour”.

Have to say, if my partner was a fan of a show that caused me to become visibly upset, and angry, I would just go do something else or watch tv in another room.

Thankfully, that’s the not the case and I would have a well balanced “temperament” so not so easily upset. Certainly not enough to whinge about it online in such a pathetic manner.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I like this thread a perfect cross between the Trivial Annoyances and Those Little Things threads.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I like this thread a perfect cross between the Trivial Annoyances and Those Little Things threads.

Those are all fine threads and I'm really proud to be woven into this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Those are all fine threads and I'm really proud to be woven into this one.

A rich tapestry.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Tv adds being so much louder than the programme you were just watching.
    Seems to happen on all channels now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mecrab wrote: »

“Penney’s for a few bits”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People who dress head to toe in sports gear but smoke like trains

They dress for comfort, it's not like they see the inside of a gym, unless they're robbing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

Why people with white skin, native Europeans, native European cultures, and heterosexual males are bad, and all other skin tones /ethnicities / cultures /sexes / genders are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Harley "effing" Davidsons.

The "effing" stands for fart.

Anything with a motor that makes more noise that it could potentially suppress is a reasonably assumed deficiency about the owner/operator.

Speedboats, snowmobiles, cars and trucks with unmufflers. Nuff said.

In the 50s Chrysler made a car powered by a gas turbine and they sent it out to some beta testers. Some large number of them said in a survey that it wasnt loud enough

In the 50s Chrysler made a car powered by a gas turbine and they sent it out to some beta testers. Some large number of them said in a survey that it wasnt loud enough

It's like someone buying a 1990s Civic and not revving it flat out all the time

They dress for comfort, it's not like they see the inside of a gym, unless they're robbing it.

Skangers would be few and far between where I live but we seem to have a lot of fat lads with expensive sportswear who couldn't get out of your way and smoke incessantly,

Mecrab wrote: »

Cheap fast fashion.
    Women who know how to dress well and fit their clothes, will look just as good in Penny's gear. Women who don't will not look good in any gear, no matter the price. Count yourself very lucky when your woman prefers shopping in Penney's to expensive high street fashion. Never discourage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Graphic novels, comics for adults, whatever they’re called.
    I don’t get it/them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Gogglebox. You're watching people on the telly watching people on the telly. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Swindled wrote: »
    Cheap fast fashion.
    Women who know how to dress well and fit their clothes, will look just as good in Penny's gear. Women who don't will not look good in any gear, no matter the price. Count yourself very lucky when your woman prefers shopping in Penney's to expensive high street fashion. Never discourage it.

Ah yes, buying a couple of skips worth of cheap penny's clothes is preferable to spending the same amount on quality clothes that will last. Never mind the environmental damage, the plight of the sweatshop workers or the glorification of the influencers' disposable lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Gogglebox. You're watching people on the telly watching people on the telly. :confused:

I cant for the life of me understand its appeal or shows like it. It feels scripted for one thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Rothko wrote: »
    Why do you think it's only men? Don't worry, I know you won't reply.

Hes a broken record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Patronising eh?
    This latest crusade is only about a year old, so you’ll have to wait a bit for it to kick in.
    Good luck telling a teenager to buy quality clothes that will last, or someone with not a whole lot of money.
    Plus Some people like wearing the same clothes same colours day in, day out bout not everyone.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Ah yes, buying a couple of skips worth of cheap penny's clothes is preferable to spending the same amount on quality clothes that will last. Never mind the environmental damage, the plight of the sweatshop workers or the glorification of the influencers' disposable lifestyle.

Drama queen / exaggerate much ? You sound exactly like any other stupid influencer - Yeah everyone always buys exactly two skips full at a time, and then throws them straight away. Plenty of people who look after their stuff, get the same wear out of pennies clothes as any other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People wearing sneakers with no socks, or sandals with no socks,
    When did socks become a bad thing to wear?
    Unless it's a hot day leave the sandals at home
    Horse racing, gaa, hurling, its just boring. Japan having an Olympics in a pandemic , it, ll be 6 to 12 months before we return to normal
    Who wants 80 000 people traveling to one city in a few weeks. Its used to be just there would be talent shows
    about people singing,
    Now there's xfactor type shows about sewing pottery
    I don't understand non binary
    Everyone is born, male, or female
    Yes some people or gay or bisexual
    So do we need another category ?
    In ten years time will people be saying I'm only attracted
    to vampires or cosplayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

riclad wrote: »
    Horse racing, gaa, hurling, its just boring. Japan having an Olympics in a pandemic , it, ll be 6 to 12 months before we return to normal
    Who wants 80 000 people traveling to one city in a few weeks. Its used to be just there would be talent shows
    about people singing,
    I think some people on the show are funny and witty
    and you might not watch some TV show but it can be funny to watch people talk about it
    By the way the American Google box is beyond awful
    Only rich famous people are on it who all live in mansions
    The point of Google box is it shows ordinary people watching TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Furries.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

about people singing,
    I take it that you've never heard of a hermaphrodite? No shortage of ******* ignoramuses on Boards, it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I cant for the life of me understand its appeal or shows like it. It feels scripted for one thing.

I think when it started it was more off the cuff, but now it just stinks of loads of them wanting to be celebs themselves, and having plenty of funny lines ready for the recordings.

They all play to the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

The irish obsession with all things Palestinian. if that crowd were in power over here theyd be throwing a few of the irish supporters off the roof
    Most of the supporters/protestors couldn't find it on a map

• Advertisement
Advertisement