Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Very difficult to get a decent carvery.

The one in the Red Cow was ok - if you got in early - say around 12.15pm or so. But that was 10 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭badabing106

I'd love to know what the actual line Israel would have to cross, before any real repercussions would occur.. Is there anything that they could do that would face more than a strongly worded whatever from spineless nations

I don't get why strong nations don't stand up to this terrorism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Tilt sensor.

As soon as your head hits the pillow <click> <wirrrr!> and your brain goes into turbo.
    lol :D
    Was warned by a neighbour to sleep with my head facing south only, with the bed against a wall, and not near any windows. ....That would put my bed in the shower stall, with water droplets on my south facing head from the drippy faucet... Hmmm, opt for water torture or bad Feng Shui? (it's a toss up.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Why reality TV is so popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Friends love-in.

It was only alright when it first screened.
    A set of people in mediocre jobs who somehow could afford huge NYC apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Adults wearing Harry Potter pyjamas (jammies).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'd love to know what the actual line Israel would have to cross, before any real repercussions would occur.. Is there anything that they could do that would face more than a strongly worded whatever from spineless nations

I don't get why strong nations don't stand up to this terrorism

I think if they nuked Tehran it wouldn't even be the lead story on the news,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

The Friends love-in.

It was only alright when it first screened.
    A set of people in mediocre jobs who somehow could afford huge NYC apartments.

It's almost as if it was a TV show designed for entertainment and not a documentary on life in New York at the time.

The humanity!!

I think if they nuked Tehran it wouldn't even be the lead story on the news,

To be honest, that would probably jump to the head of the news queue, it being a somewhat 'Start of WW3' situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Selfies, particularly the very obviously filtered selfies on social media.

I know they are completely normalised now and believe me i am as vain as the next person and do like to be seen looking my best but they are beyond cringeworthy - advertise that you spend you free time photographing yourself trying various different angles / expressions, doctor the image it so you are unrecognisable then share it openly looking for compliments. Why not just tattoo 'needy' on your forehead?

I feel similarly about young women ruining their fresh faces with Botox, fillers and trout pouts. They might look nice in their Instagram pics but in the physical world they look like they belong in the circus.

I have no issue with looking your best but I often find the above nothing short of grotesque.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Ah now, 'talentless' is going a wee bit too far.
    But smug? I think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

I don't get video games. I succumbed to playing Football Manager on a PC years ago but it takes up an incredible amount of time. I can't manage the controls on Playstations at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

randd1 wrote: »
    To be honest, that would probably jump to the head of the news queue, it being a somewhat 'Start of WW3' situation.

VM1 after Tiddles the cat is rescued from a cement mixer

Katgurl wrote: »

I feel similarly about young women ruining their fresh faces with Botox, fillers and trout pouts. They might look nice in their Instagram pics but in the physical world they look like they belong in the circus.

I don't think they look nice at all. It's a bit "you've seen one, you've seen them all" these days, kind of like golden retrievers. And that stupid pout trout, the peace sign, grown women sticking out their tongues, superimposed mouse ears and whiskers etc. Faces and backsides contoured into oblivion. Usually with some kind of text about living their "best lives".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who won’t heat their house, turn on lights and basically eat crap for most of the year so they can go on a Summer Holiday for about 5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Why reality TV is so popular.

If producers or whatever can't do a completely unscripted reality tv show why bother. I'd rather watch 2 seasons of content that didn't need to be forced or manipulated than 10 seasons of nonsense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Antares35 wrote: »
    I don't think they look nice at all. It's a bit "you've seen one, you've seen them all" these days, kind of like golden retrievers. And that stupid pout trout, the peace sign, grown women sticking out their tongues, superimposed mouse ears and whiskers etc. Faces and backsides contoured into oblivion. Usually with some kind of text about living their "best lives".
    If you do it right smartphone cameras can capture your fingerprints too.

Print them using a laser printer, and then use latex or wood glue to make a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People spending money on new clothes with holes in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Sky King wrote: »
    Frank and Honest coffee.

If anyone from Frank and honest is reading this, will you please take a bit of your large marketing budget and use it to buy coffee that doesn't taste like scuttery shart.

All coffee is scuttery shart.

Get a box of teabags and sort your life out.

is_that_so wrote: »
    People spending money on new clothes with holes in them!

That's what they call "fashion" these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That's what they call "fashion" these days.
    That was 'fashion' in the 80's too.
    Except they usually put the holes in themselves tbf. Wooly jumpers and jeans mainly.

I don't get why they now buy them like that.. :pac:
    I think a few pop stars back in the day may have bought them pre-holed.

The list is just too long.

Going to an art gallery is my idea of hell on earth.

Rugby is the most boring spectator sport ever invented. I was dragged to a Leinster game recently so instead of complaining I thought I'd give it a try. I thought I was going to have a stroke through sheer boredom and it just served to reinforce my hatred for the game.

I don't own a TV anymore. It isn't worth the expense anymore with standard of drivel that passes for entertainment these days.

The majority of band wagon jumping sports fans in Ireland annoy me greatly. The hangers on that go to world cups and european championships like to tell us how good they are as fans but won't get a bus to the Aviva. They're as bad as the fans that turn up on All Ireland final day and complain that they cant get a ticket.

RTE is a disgrace.

Suckit wrote: »
    That was 'fashion' in the 80's too.
    Except they usually put the holes in themselves tbf. Wooly jumpers and jeans mainly.

I don't get why they now buy them like that.. :pac:
    I think a few pop stars back in the day may have bought them pre-holed.

I don't get it myself.

i didnt get winning streak at first. then realised it is a spoof and is a joke against old people and people from rural ireland. Besides from that Marty Whelan is the greatest showman on tv.

Winning streak isn’t actually a quiz. It’s an extension of the lottery.

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Indian or Chinese I would imagine.

That fine language, Indian.

With the news about the planned reopening of hospitality in Ireland, it won't be long until you have people queuing up for a carvery. Disgusting. Lumps of overcooked meat left under lights, soggy roast potatoes, vegetables boiled almost to a mush, and all drowning in gravy loaded with fat, sugar and salt to disguise the taste of the food it covers.

It's possible to get excellent food in some Irish pubs, so this fascination with the hellish carvery really baffles me.

The worst meal I ever had was in a carvery. However I don’t see why carvery is any worse than other prepared food if handled properly. Restaurants keep food warm all the time. Just behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Carvery is well tasty. Yum.
    Feisar wrote: »
    I wouldn’t have thought so, it’s full of tat and people end up buying more than they actually need.

Having said that we shop there for the toddler as he’s grown out of them before they fall apart.
    Why would that make it just an illusion that Penneys is a godsend for low income households?
    Deja Boo wrote: »
    Why I am sleepy during the day, but wide awake at night.
    And why does having a lie-in cause absolute exhaustion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can get my head around lots of fashion things clothes with holes in them, very tight, etc.
    However this no socks thing came in a few years ago and I sort of get it now. I do think some people can't pull it off at all and it only works with some styles.
    Now all these people who never wear socks seem to wear them with shorts and pull them up very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Winning streak isn’t actually a quiz. It’s an extension of the lottery.

It's a game an untrained chimp could play and still win money.

It's a game an untrained chimp could play and still win money.

Yes. That’s what I said. Not. A. Quiz.

These people have won the lottery and are now doing chance type games, like rotating a prize wheel, to determine what exactly has been won. It’s atrocious television but not a quiz show.

People celebrating fat people.

I get people can put on weight without intending to, or get in a rut, and some people just have bad habits that lead to wight gain, or medical conditions that lead to weight gain. And that some people, particularly those with a job and a few kids, just don't have the time and you put on the pounds. Sometimes it just happens, and you know it.

But this idea of celebrating being large sized is just bizarre. There's nothing sassy about being 20+ stone. There's nothing sexy about having a hanging belly. And it's not anti-fat to say so.

You see it with ads for fashion labels, always have a large woman in the ad.

It's not something that should be celebrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Worst of all is that it seems to be a rip off of a very similar article I read elsewhere (except that one didn't try to say 'cheugy' was misogynistic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fly tipping.

Littering is bad, and with all the furore over the mess in Dublin city centre over the weekend, I can kind of understand it - thousands of people around, the few bins that are there are already overflowing, drunk people leaving crap behind them etc.
    But to drive up the mountains, with bags of rubbish, mattresses, old appliances etc and dump them on the side of the road, is a whole other level of c*ntishness to me. Been up the Dublin/wicklow mountains a few times over the weekend and agains this morning, and there is rubbish everywhere. It is not stuff left behind by picnickers/walkers - it's filthy w*nkers purposely loading up their cars/vans and going up there to do it.

To a lesser extent I also don't get people who dump all their household waste in the street bins - use your own bin FFS.

I get people can put on weight without intending to, or get in a rut, and some people just have bad habits that lead to wight gain, or medical conditions that lead to weight gain. And that some people, particularly those with a job and a few kids, just don't have the time and you put on the pounds. Sometimes it just happens, and you know it.

But this idea of celebrating being large sized is just bizarre. There's nothing sassy about being 20+ stone. There's nothing sexy about having a hanging belly. And it's not anti-fat to say so.

Or calling them "real women" as if women who are thin aren't real... And I say that as a pregnant fat woman :D

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Fly tipping.

Littering is bad, and with all the furore over the mess in Dublin city centre over the weekend, I can kind of understand it - thousands of people around, the few bins that are there are already overflowing, drunk people leaving crap behind them etc.
    But to drive up the mountains, with bags of rubbish, mattresses, old appliances etc and dump them on the side of the road, is a whole other level of c*ntishness to me. Been up the Dublin/wicklow mountains a few times over the weekend and agains this morning, and there is rubbish everywhere. It is not stuff left behind by picnickers/walkers - it's filthy w*nkers purposely loading up their cars/vans and going up there to do it.

To a lesser extent I also don't get people who dump all their household waste in the street bins - use your own bin FFS.

Or anyone giving these lowlifes an out by saying "well there aren't enough bins". It's the equivalent of being invited to a friend's for dinner and scraping your leftovers onto the kitchen floor because they don't have a kitchen bin handy :D

retalivity wrote: »
    Fly tipping.

Summary execution by a militia roaming the mountains is the only solution.

Wine tasters burn my arse in a serious way. Here missus, your wine tastes like expensive vinegar. Shut your face and have a few pints.

The same idea applies to other people.

For example, people who extol the virtues of poetry that nobody reads are, to my mind, the literary worlds answer to wine tasters. Take your sh1tty little poem and go back over into the corner and read it to yourself. It's pretentious arty farty nonsense and nobody else cares for it.

Some of these chef lads are the same. Having boners over quiche lorraine and boiled shark scrotum. Bag of chipper chip and a can of fanta and f*ck you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Are you saying you don't love the sight of my very significant belly as I walk the beach or pier or park? Well why didn't you say so sooner! :D

Are you saying you don't love the sight of my very significant belly as I walk the beach or pier or park? Well why didn't you say so sooner! :D

I just assumed you knew!!

This is what happens because we don't communicate anymore!!

• Advertisement

Noisy people. Like, people who are just inherently noisy, not necessarily engaging in "noisy" activities like DIY etc. For example my parents, incapable of basic manners such as waiting until you're in the same room as someone else to conduct a conversation. They think it's acceptable to shout at each other from different rooms if that's where they happen to be when the idea occurs to them. Sure why bother walking into the room where the other person is when you can just shout?? And people who don't have indoor voices, it's the same volume whether they're six feet away on the sofa or out walking with you in a storm. People who need to shout because they are on the phone.

There's kind of an excuse for my dad since he lost one of his hearing aids, but of course buying a replacement is out of the question. He has money to spend 20k building a fúckin sun room but can't replace his hearing aid... Also don't get people spending silly money on sun rooms, extensions, mobile homes, decking that requires constant maintenance etc.

Wine tasters burn my arse in a serious way. Here missus, your wine tastes like expensive vinegar. Shut your face and have a few pints.

For example, people who extol the virtues of poetry that nobody reads are, to my mind, the literary worlds answer to wine tasters. Take your sh1tty little poem and go back over into the corner and read it to yourself. It's pretentious arty farty nonsense and nobody else cares for it.

Some of these chef lads are the same. Having boners over quiche lorraine and boiled shark scrotum. Bag of chipper chip and a can of fanta and f*ck you.

Went to a session before but tbh it was just a fun date where we figured the entry fee in more than covered us getting sloshed and there was free pretentious finger food for soakage too. An absolute dose behind us the whole time insisted on swirling and spitting out hers every time. Ok I know that's maybe what you're meant to do but come on like. I particularly enjoyed the part where she tasted and oohed and aahed over the peculiar looking decanter of everyone else's discarded wine/ rinsings. It was a very good year apparently :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I hate sports, I find it so boring, well sports like football, hurling, GAA, basketball, rugby. Never understood the excitement of a goal been scored.

I bet you love F1...I've met your type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I just assumed you knew!!

This is what happens because we don't communicate anymore!!

Well in future just tweet a picture of me with the outraged hashtag please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

slegs wrote: »
    I bet you love F1...I've met your type
    fx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i dont get hard drugs,
    someone comes up to me in the street once a month ,says do want to buy word xx,
    i think its an illegal drug, it dont know the exact word they are saying,
    they may as well say do you need xgfhjjjjhj .
    its some slang word for drugs i think.
    i have no interest in any form of car racing, f1,etc
    the team that wins is the team with the most money to build a car with the latest cpu, computer software ,apps etc
    maybe 20 per cent of the result is who is the driver.
    modern cars are run by programs and computer chips.
    i dont understand going to a restaurant, theres 30 sauces that can be used
    in this meal,which ones do you want.
    unless you are as pro chef how would you know what is best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

I don't agree with it, but i do 'get' it. The general population has become fatter, and such women won't be as inclined to relate to the thinner models in ads, and this is what the ad people are banking on.

Ruined a great post by liking Fanta at the end. It is the worst of all the cans of orange.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Ruined a great post by liking Fanta at the end. It is the worst of all the cans of orange.

You've obviously never tasted warm Country Spring on a boiling hot day that's been passed its sell by date by two weeks. No wonder they gave it away for free.

I'm surprised we're still alive.

You've obviously never tasted warm Country Spring on a boiling hot day that's been passed its sell by date by two weeks. No wonder they gave it away for free.

I'm surprised we're still alive.

I'd forgotten that ****e. Always warm because the 3 litre bottles wouldn't for in the fridge. Do they still make it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement