Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn help

Options
  • 17-05-2021 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello there. So my lawn is an absolute mess at the moment. It's basically just dirt and weeds at this point. I plan on starting the process of fixing it this weekend. ( It's basically just 25m² of weeds.)

I'm just wondering what is the best method of removing the weeds. Just weed killer & a watering can, and pour over the entire area? I plan on buying grass turf two weeks after the weed killer has been applied.

Thanks, I've never done much gardening before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

rb1993 wrote: »
    Hello there. So my lawn is an absolute mess at the moment. It's basically just dirt and weeds at this point. I plan on starting the process of fixing it this weekend. ( It's basically just 25m² of weeds.)

I'm just wondering what is the best method of removing the weeds. Just weed killer & a watering can, and pour over the entire area? I plan on buying grass turf two weeks after the weed killer has been applied.

Thanks, I've never done much gardening before

I'm no expert either but I had a similar problem. I hired a rotavator for a day and ripped all out of the garden. I then did plenty of raking to remove the waste and ordered 13 tonne of screened top soil and spread and levelled off everything.

Other lads on here are more proficient but I'm happy with how mine worked out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

I'm not an expert either, but I recently rotavated my front garden about 120 sqm of hardened topsoil. Garden was leveled and compacted in December when we got the driveway done.

Most of it was just bare topsoil, but it was like cement in parts it was so hard. Only mistake was not killing the little bit of grass first as it was a pain to rotovate that part. I went over it 4 times with rotavator and raked off heavy stones etc. Removed about 40 large stones from it too. Got 7 tonnes of graded topsoil and spread that out over 2 evenings. Large bag of grass seed and a roller and I now have a lot of new green grass appearing after 8 days.

I did look at buying lawn turf, but was advised that it does need to be laid on a surface that has been prepared - i.e. soil is loose, raked etc. Decided to save on the cost of the lawn turf considering the time of year. I should have a good lawn in a few weeks time. Cost of topsoil and rotavator hire was less than 200 compared to 600 for turf (supply only). For me lawn turf was no real saving in terms of time or effort.

All in all it took half a day on a Saturday to rotavate and rake it off, about 6 hours to spread the topsoil and half an hour to seed and roll. So all in all, less than a days work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭standardg60

ec_pc wrote: »
    I'm not an expert either, but I recently rotavated my front garden about 120 sqm of hardened topsoil. Garden was leveled and compacted in December when we got the driveway done.

Most of it was just bare topsoil, but it was like cement in parts it was so hard. Only mistake was not killing the little bit of grass first as it was a pain to rotovate that part. I went over it 4 times with rotavator and raked off heavy stones etc. Removed about 40 large stones from it too. Got 7 tonnes of graded topsoil and spread that out over 2 evenings. Large bag of grass seed and a roller and I now have a lot of new green grass appearing after 8 days.

I did look at buying lawn turf, but was advised that it does need to be laid on a surface that has been prepared - i.e. soil is loose, raked etc. Decided to save on the cost of the lawn turf considering the time of year. I should have a good lawn in a few weeks time. Cost of topsoil and rotavator hire was less than 200 compared to 600 for turf (supply only). For me lawn turf was no real saving in terms of time or effort.

All in all it took half a day on a Saturday to rotavate and rake it off, about 6 hours to spread the topsoil and half an hour to seed and roll. So all in all, less than a days work for me.

Spot on.

Do apply weedkiller first to prevent perennial weeds reappearing and allow do die off. Would also recommend seeding as roll out turf requires far more optimum growing conditions and maintenance.

Advertisement