Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shutters measured wrong. compensation?

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We got a shutter company to measure four windows in our new build for plantation shutters early January. We were given around 12 weeks waiting time for them to arrive. In the end we waited 18 (which I understand, with the lockdown and that evergreen thing in the suez canal). They came on Friday to fit them and turns out that our main bedroom blinds were measured completely wrong (mearly 10 cm higher) and they were not able to install them.

It is clear that it was a measurement error (I checked the invoice and it had the wrong measurements). We were contacted by the measurer on Friday and he was trying to tell us that it was a manufacturing error (blaming the chinese manufacturing plant). We were told that we had to wait another 12 weeks for a replacement. I said to him to speak with the owner of the company and get back to me by Monday to find a suitable solution, as 12 weeks is not acceptable to us (total wait would be over half a year)

Today I got a call from him saying that they will install paper shutters for the time being but that the 12 week wait is what it is, no way of bumping. Then I asked for compensation, as this our total wait time is going to be nearly 3 times longer than the usual, and all because of their measurement error. Was told that their prices are so competitive that they cannot give us a discount. I told him to speak with the owner and get back to me.

My wife called him back a few minutes later and he was aggresive on the phone towards her (he called back after to apologise). Turns out the company owner has not been informe yet of anything.

Am I right in thinking we should expect some kind of compensation (a good discount on the total price)? We were quoted nearly 5k for the job, so it's not a little bit of money, and we have paid 2k so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Are you not a bit quick off the mark with the compensation card?

I understand that you waited 18 weeks & now a further 12 weeks - but I guess none of us are perfect & things can go wrong and they are trying to remediate this by offering temporary shutters until the correct ones are available in 12 weeks.

Have you paid anything towards them & can you get a refund instead & go elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

robo wrote: »
    Are you not a bit quick off the mark with the compensation card?

I understand that you waited 18 weeks & now a further 12 weeks - but I guess none of us are perfect & things can go wrong and they are trying to remediate this by offering temporary shutters until the correct ones are available in 12 weeks.

Have you paid anything towards them & can you get a refund instead & go elsewhere?

We actually spoke with the managing director today. We have been told that they will do their best in getting them to us sooner than the 12 weeks. Hopefully this will be the case. I am happy with that

I understand that things can go wrong, but I like to be told upfront. The bit that bothered me the most is not admitting their own mistake and blaming the manufacturing plant. for me, a mistake like this, when spending thousands of euros, should be dealt with promptly and the first step is admission of guilt.

I don't want a full refund, as that would involve removing the ones that they installed so far (and we very much like).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

That sounds promising - they will try to have them quicker than the 12 weeks.

Yeh I agree, honesty is the best policy but I guess whoever you were dealing with was trying to not take the blame for this mistake. Its a pity really, as I think when things are out in the open, then clients are a bit more understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

At the end of the day they're giving you a temporary replacement while you're waiting and will try to expedite the correct blinds.

That seems a fair enough resolution to me. At this stage, I can't see how compensation will enter into things.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement