Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved into place, want to move out

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All, looking for some advice if possible please. So I just moved into a new apartment at the start of this month (shared accommodation just renting a room) and need to move out already.
    I never signed any lease or contract (I just paid my deposit and first months rent to one of the tenants currently living in the apartment)
    I am wondering if i give 28 days notice can I just move out as nothing has been signed or how this will work? I realise this is going to be very frustrating for the current housemates as they are going to need to find a new housemate again but due to unforseen circumstances I will need to move in the next month.
    What's the best way to go about this? Is there a chance I could be tied into a 12 month contract even though nothing was signed?
    Appreciate all responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you're paying rent to one of the other tenants, then you are a licensee, not a tenant, and you can leave at any time without having to give any particular amount of notice if you never signed an agreement specifying a notice period. While it might be polite to give some advance notice to your housemates, do keep in mind that as a licensee you can also be kicked out with "reasonable notice" (which isn't defined in statute and can be a grey area, but could be as little as a matter of days, depending on the circumstances) if the tenants find a new housemate who wants to move in before you'd planned to leave, so I wouldn't be giving them a month's notice or anything like that unless you are prepared to actually move out at any time, or you might find yourself out on the streets a couple weeks sooner than you'd planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cmurphySC

Thanks for this info. So I actually just spoke to one of the housemates and in fairness to them they are being really nice about it and have said they will put up the room for rent again..issue sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Always best to leave on good terms, never know when you need a reference again.

Advertisement