Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS alternative

Options
  • 17-05-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

My old Qnap NAS has decided to pack it in so I'm looking for an alternative. I don't really need a new NAS as I don't use many of the functionalities it would offer.

The requirements are:

1. Being able to add/map it as a local network drive to transfer files to and from it.
    2. Being able to install Plex and transcode movies on it

I was looking at the WD My Cloud Home solutions but they seem too dependent on the internet and it won't meet the first requirement above.

Would there be a simpler solution to a normal NAS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not sure what but i also use Nas for sending recordings from my Linux sat boxes and when getting full i send them over be stored on my Nas boxes. These boxes are never powered off and can still send files from it to a different location.

If a box can use internal hdd i go that route or externally powered ones.
    Surely a hdd can be used for pc for files and assume Plex and other stuff could run also.

Others have Linux receivers and recordings setup for Nas use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

You could do worse than get an Nvidia Shield or use a small form factor PC. There are loads of sites offering opinions on how to build a Plex media server, most can double as a file share system also.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/70552/everything-you-need-to-set-up-a-plex-server/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How much storage do you need? That's the key question to answer with regard to what path to go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭in2dark

I have a microserver with 5 harddrives and 1 ssd to boot.

Im running ubuntu 20.04

Have set it up as fileserver (samba)
    Have 4 virtual machines running on it.
    Cctv, voip, invoice ninja, owncloud

It is on non stop for the last 4 years. Very happy with this setup

Advertisement