Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House clearance - West Co. Sligo

Options
  • 17-05-2021 3:09pm

Hi all, seeking suggestions here:

We have recently purchased a property and the vendors basically just left the house as is - as if they just left one day and didn't come back. Cleaned out the cupboards and took some personal effects, but otherwise left everything - beds, sofas, tables, chairs, rugs etc. It looks as though it's lived in. We have all our own stuff to move in, and so need to clear everything.

Some of the stuff is very good quality - deep faux vintage brown leather sofas in great condition. Oak table and chairs. Perfectly good wardrobes. And the list goes on.

Would be nice to maybe make a bit of cash, but the priority is to make the clearance simple and uncomplicated, and ensure goes to a good home rather than being dumped.

Does anyone know of any salvage warehouses or the likes in the area who would be interested in bidding on house contents in their entirety like that?

I am reluctant to do a garage sale, selling items individually, and have people wandering on to my property, though I supposed I could hold a couple of things back and sell them independently (the sofas could be €500 piece according to ebay)

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There are a number of auctioneers that deal with house clearances, let Google be your guide as I'm not sure if any are in or near Sligo.

Plazaman wrote: »
    There are a number of auctioneers that deal with house clearances, let Google be your guide as I'm not sure if any are in or near Sligo.

Thanks, but if google had helped I wouldn't have posted specifically on the Sligo forum

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Spn744

If you’re looking for them to be gone quickly you could just list each item quickly (and free) on Adverts.ie for say 40% below what you find on eBay and I would say you’ll have them gone within a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Also if on Facebook - use some of the buy & sell groups (a lot are local areas - Sligo town, Ballisadare, Colloney, Ballymote, Tubbercurry all have groups) - stuff shifts quickly if priced accordingly. Some charity shops will take bits too if not too bulky.

Adverts.ie can be good as users can search & see items that are local (within x distance from themselves).

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Spn744

I recently moved house in Sligo and during a house clearance I was surprised what people came to buy, some came as far as buying a candle, used cheap IKEA furniture etc. Wife sold on Facebook I did on Adverts and they were sold very fast. As the above post says “price accordingly” you can’t go in with the sofa you have for €600 and expect it to be gone within the week. Good luck with selling and if you do decide to list them put a link here and a few people in the area might be interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

There is a guy in Boyle, john sirr antiques who might be interested you can find him on fb. Otherwise just list in fb marketplace. If you want stuff gone quick then have reasonable asking price and remember its second hand furniture that you got for free, so dont let greed take over.

Alternatively you could donate it to chairty shops

Advertisement