Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a current tenant a new place to live

Options
  • 17-05-2021 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭

I have recently take over the management of a property for family member. They warned methere was a hoarder living there. That tenant moved out and left an incredible mess it took 4 men 4 hours to get rid of the stuff he left behind. Need to do major work on that flat as a result.

So while I'm there I meet another tenant and he shows me his place. It is as bad as the top flat for content and my eyes literally watered when I went in due to the smell. Just filth, body odour, food left out etc... Path from sofa to the bed and the fridge.

He was quite proud of "work" he did which included dangerous wiring of a light. Lots of broken things he never told anybody about but he "fixed" them.

Now I simply need him out as renovation is needed as it is unsafe largely down to him. He obviously has mental health issues and heavily mediated. I don't want to see him living on the streets but he needs some better care and supports. Does anybody know who to contact to get him a place more suitable. It is weighing on my conscious what to do but there is no way he can continue to live there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I will say, that being a hoarder is a symptom of mental health problems.

I feel sorry for you and your tenants but people have to learn to conduct regular lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    I will say, that being a hoarder is a symptom of mental health problems.

I feel sorry for you and your tenants but people have to learn to conduct regular lives.

He is certainly mentally ill and said so. Heavily mediated. He is very large too so a bit physically intimidating and I don't know if he has anger issues. Seems very nice and friendly but the place was going to be renovated either way but the time frame has moved up now.

There is no way he will be able to afford the new rent or find another place charging so little in the area. I don't think he can conduct a regular life or learn to. He loves the place because nobody bothered him here there. He even mentioned he has always been kicked out of where he lives.

Just how to approach it and get him something more suitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

I'm sure the esteemed members of the boards.ie Accomadation forum will provide you with many empathetic and reasonable proposals.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    He is certainly mentally ill and said so. Heavily mediated. Seems very nice and friendly but the place was going to be renovated either way but the time frame has moved up now.

There is no way he will be able to afford the new rent or find another place charging so little in the area. I don't think he can conduct a regular life or learn to. He loves the place because nobody bothered him here there. He even mentioned he has always been kicked out of where he lives.

Just how to approach it and get him something more suitable

Maybe we can mature discussion about mental illness. I lost my sister late last year in somewhat similar circumstances. She starved to death, she should really have been a ward of the state. I still dont know what happened.

There are loads of people who complain about things we did in the past but have no real working knowledge of Mental health or the law behind it. He probably need to be in some sort of sheltered accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You’re kinda stuck Ray. First port of call would be his GP, but you can’t contact on his behalf, he may not do, and indeed may not want the GP contacted at all. Does he have family you know of?

Otherwise, you’ll have to treat him as a ‘normal’ tenant, with his problems being none of your concern, and follow the procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Local Health Nurse or Social Worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

If the tenant is taking medication, then he must be known to Social Services, and the mental health professionals. Is there a chance you could scout round and give one of them a call?

If the tenant is taking medication, then he must be known to Social Services, and the mental health professionals. Is there a chance you could scout round and give one of them a call?

Sounds like the best idea, They can "listen" to you but they cant "talk" to you, really its a very sad situation. Really it sounds like he should be in sheltered accomodation.

Advertisement