Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High risk/cohort 7 - GP doesn't seem too interested

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Another account for Cohort 7s to keep an eye on

From looking at their website at https://vaccines4vulnerable.com/ it looks like they're trying to help the immunocompromised in particular

https://twitter.com/V4VIreland/status/1398619865410420736

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've managed to get a 1st dose but haven't got an appointment for a second dose yet. When I was getting the appointment for the 1at done, my GP said there was a new HSE referral system going live that would cater for the second dose but then the hack happened so no idea what the situation is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm cohort 7 and in early may my consultant sent in a referral. Seeing as I didn't hear anything I gave the helpline a call today and they discovered that although I was registered on the 22nd for whatever reason my phone number and address were missing from it.

Because of this I was told that I wouldn't have been notified and possibly the referral ignored. It's since been amended and I've been told I'll hear something in the next five working days.

Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

For anybody who is interested

I am 49, Type 2

Have been waiting quite some time for the doc to call me

Rocked up to the Vaccination Centre in the Midlands Park Hotel in Portlaoise today with my PPSN number and ID, and my prescription.

No problems getting registered and my first jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

ebbsy wrote: »

I am 49, Type 2

Rocked up to the Vaccination Centre in the Midlands Park Hotel in Portlaoise today with my PPSN number and ID, and my prescription.

I did the same in Mallow on Tuesday, I had to wait a little while they confirmed that there would be a vaccine and they also contacted my GP but I got my first dose after 90 minutes or so. The staff were really helpful.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I did the same in Mallow on Tuesday, I had to wait a little while they confirmed that there would be a vaccine and they also contacted my GP but I got my first dose after 90 minutes or so. The staff were really helpful.

Well done, the staff were fantastic in Portlaoise also.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

relative 61 cohort 4 can't get a vaccine

I am 49, Type 2

Fair play. Cohort 7s are starting to take the matter into their own hands more and more like this

Did you ring ahead or just show up?

How did you know they'd have the right Vaccine that day for your condition/age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm 35, got the call last week to get the vaccine because I've a history of mental illness ... Don't really see how that makes me more susceptible to the virus, but whatever, I'll take it as its offered!

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Fair play. Cohort 7s are starting to take the matter into their own hands more and more like this

1) I just showed up.

2) I didn't. I just took whatever I was given (Pfizer).

Didn't fancy ending up in hospital with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm 35, got the call last week to get the vaccine because I've a history of mental illness ... Don't really see how that makes me more susceptible to the virus, but whatever, I'll take it as its offered!

Welcome Foweva Awone, I enjoy your contributions on the Facebook thread in After Hours and fair play to getting the vaccine.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Its very easy to know what vaccine is on at an MVC, people local will have it in their texts
    Any cohort 7 45 and up can do this method
    Problem is younger can't atm

agoodpunt wrote: »
    relative 61 cohort 4 can't get a vaccine

I would say walk into any vaccine center and they would be vaccinated straight away.

I would say walk into any vaccine center and they would be vaccinated straight away.

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 9 suisi

I am 49, Type 2

Do you think this would work if you're in Cohort 4/7, but not in the age bracket that is being vaccinated (i.e. younger)?

suisi wrote: »
    Do you think this would work if you're in Cohort 4/7, but not in the age bracket that is being vaccinated (i.e. younger)?

What do you have to lose if your GP is failing you, it worked for me. Take proof with you and be prepared that they will contact the GP so have these details available.

In Mallow the staff were exceptional from the security in place to the site management. Everyone showed empathy and they will try to accommodate.

What do you have to lose if your GP is failing you, it worked for me. Take proof with you and be prepared that they will contact the GP so have these details available.

In Mallow the staff were exceptional from the security in place to the site management. Everyone showed empathy and they will try to accommodate.

They will not vaccinate anyone not in the age bracket if you do not have a gp referral

They will not vaccinate anyone not in the age bracket if you do not have a gp referral

They did it for me last week, if you are in cohort 4 or 7 you have the same eligibility as the current age bracket. I was getting nowhere with my GP.

They did it for me last week, if you are in cohort 4 or 7 you have the same eligibility as the current age bracket. I was getting nowhere with my GP.

So you rocked in and said you were cohort 4 or 7?
    Anyone can do that
    Its basically walk in vaccination if allowed
    You must have had something to prove this?

Anyone can do that

If you read a few posts up you would have seen a fuller story.

Short version, my GP has been a total waste of space and still only vaccinating over 70's and certainly didn't have a clue about referrals. I went to the Mallow vaccination center and showed my prescription and told my story. They let me in and then checked a, they have enough vaccines and b, called my GP. They then vaccinated me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Anyone can do that

Numerous posts saying people in cohort 4 or 7 bringing prescriptions and ID to MVC and getting a vaccine . Good on them as their GP is of no help . Seems cohort 7 have to look after themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just a reminder why some people with certain mental health issues might be classified in higher cohorts because

Some have co morbidtys like weight gain due to medications

some may have issues with large crowds/transport/MVCs eg panic attacks /paranoia

some maybe hyper aware of hygiene issues especially in large groups

some may have problems interacting with tech or even phones or paperwork.

some may have issues with driving due to meds

some may have difficultys with making/keeping appointments when feeling so bad they have difficulties getting out of bed.

Some other people who are still anxious and might not be able to manage having someone muttering to themselves or having a conversation with unknown entitys etc near them in a MVC even if they know it is not the persons fault.

Poverty also affects them more..less likely to have their own transport or tech. Many live alone without family or friends to help. Many had reduced services especially last year.

Some may need extra help to watch for and take care of any side effects even minor ones

A GPs surgery is also probably the best place as they know their patients mental and physical health history and that would be best for the person as they are surrounded with the familiar and not out of their daily routine.

That said many people with mental health issues you would not recognise in your queue at a GP or MVC as it in many cases is an invisible disability.

Good luck and blessings of every kind to you all for the future if you are not feeling the best at the moment.. the darkest hour is before the dawn.

Reach out and ask for help if you need it and for others extend your hand to ask 'may I help' if you know someone in the above catagory. We are all part of a human family that is entwined.

If you read a few posts up you would have seen a fuller story.

Short version, my GP has been a total waste of space and still only vaccinating over 70's and certainly didn't have a clue about referrals. I went to the Mallow vaccination center and showed my prescription and told my story. They let me in and then checked a, they have enough vaccines and b, called my GP. They then vaccinated me.

Well at least they phoned your GP
    I didn't think it is or should be possible to just rock in

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You'd have to be some kind of arsehole to forge a prescription to jump the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

thanks for the just turn up suggestion will bring him to a centre tomorrow probably croker will update later

suisi wrote: »

Yes. Say you have been waiting for ages and cannot wait any longer.

You are vunerable.

True, but they did not call my doctor.

agoodpunt wrote: »
    thanks for the just turn up suggestion will bring him to a centre tomorrow probably croker will update later

Yes. Say you have been waiting for ages and cannot wait any longer.

You are vunerable.

Its very easy to know what vaccine is on at an MVC, people local will have it in their texts
    Any cohort 7 45 and up can do this method
    Problem is younger can't atm

This might be the case outside of Dublin and Cork, but in both these places (Dublin especially) there are multiple MVCs

And multiple MVCs mean different vaccines

• Advertisement

This might be the case outside of Dublin and Cork, but in both these places (Dublin especially) there are multiple MVCs

And multiple MVCs mean different vaccines

You simply ask someone in the queue or someone that got a text for that mvc
    Thats very easy

Advertisement